Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noticeable surge in RPM at idle during warm up and after the bike is up to running temperature. This does not happen during cold start when the fuel enrichment valves are in use. Once the fuel enrichment is closed it will start the surge. Where do I start troubleshooting this issue? The air and fuel filters have been replaced within the last couple of months and still appear to be in good condition. This is only a 20 to 30 RPM thing but is noticeable and cannot tell if it is on the right or left side or both. Other than this annoying surge it runs great and am getting an average of 40 to 42 miles per gallon. I am thinking this is something simple but need a starting point and some wisdom from the forum. Much thanks in advance.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Have you tried some Seafoam in the gas tank yet? You can put a whole can in, ride it 20 miles to mix it in the gas and get it into the carbs, then idle it 15 minutes watching the temps don't overheat, put a fan blowing on the radiators.

Also turn the idle adjustment knob next to the vacuum petcock forward of the fill neck. Turn the knob up and down a turn each way then reset the idle.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
....Also turn the idle adjustment knob next to the vacuum petcock forward of the fill neck. Turn the knob up and down a turn each way then reset the idle....
Can't tell you the technical reason, but this has worked many times for me, also, to stop the surging....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Seafoam
Sorry for the one word response, but it solved my surge in one tankful. Still add some periodically just for maintenance.
Mine was actually more of a few hundred RPM surge than 20-30.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Have you tried some Seafoam in the gas tank yet? You can put a whole can in, ride it 20 miles to mix it in the gas and get it into the carbs, then idle it 15 minutes watching the temps don't overheat, put a fan blowing on the radiators.

Also turn the idle adjustment knob next to the vacuum petcock forward of the fill neck. Turn the knob up and down a turn each way then reset the idle.
My new to me 92 Aspencade is doing the same thing AK. I have ran one can of Sea Foam and am on my second post treatment tank with no real change.
Thanks for this tip New, I am going to try this next.
Good luck with your surge AK, it drives me crazy.
God bless all of you on your 'wings wherever you may ride. :waving:

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
I took my Air filter out of the bike and the Right carb as you look at it was sticking a little. I used Carb cleaner and worked both of them until they were smooth. plus a toothbrush got some ugly stuff out of the mouth of the Carb. Then a full can of SeaFoam in the tank. The surging seems to have gone away I haven't seen it since I did this. So I think all it needed was a little extra cleaning to get rid of some junk the SeaFoam couldn't break down...

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Purple Pirate, I assume you are talking about the slide sticking? I looked at them and they both have a slight sticky film on them. They do move but will try some carb cleaner on them when I get a chance.

Newday, I tried turning the idle adjustment back and forth but this did not cure the surge. I did find out that it is very hard to turn so I lubed it up the best I can for now.

I keep up on the maintenance but have never dug in deep to the carb area. I will put this area on the list for my winter projects. Every thing probably just needs a good cleaning.

I did run a can of B-12 chemclean through it this spring at the start of the riding season but did not notice any real changes. Is seafoam a better treatment? I have also read that techron is good stuff too.

Thanks for all the responses and I will update as I go. Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello fellow wingers. Here is an update on what I have done. As suggested, I took some carb cleaner and cleaned up the slides in the carbs. They now move a lot better with a much quicker response.
My idle adjustment has now been cleaned up and lubricated. It works as it should now and I turned the idle up and down a few times and reset it to 750 RPM. That is where my transmission shifts into first the best. I also did a seafoam treatment as has been suggested.
After doing these simple things my idle surge has almost completely gone away. If I listen real close there is still some but I really have to pay attention to hear it.
I do need to go through the vacuum lines this winter. The ones that I could feel were flexible but not like they should be so pulling the carbs for a more intense cleaning and vac line inspection has been added to my winter maintenance list.
I thank everyone for the replies. It sure does make wrenching on our bikes so much easier with the wealth of knowledge this forum contains!
Speaking of winter maintenance, It snowed at work for a couple of hours (8/19/13). I work in the oil patch up on the North Slope though so this is not too uncommon for me. I guess my winter maintenance is just around the corner.
Thanks again guys !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.