Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I am at idle I hear a slight ticking noise,if you rev it up above 1500ish it purrs like a kitten,it has done this for a while now.

I notice when taking off from a stop there is that light ticking noise till its over 1500 rpm or so.

I change the oil every 3k and use Honda oil from the dealer I bought it from.

It seems to come from the gear shift side.It's not very loud,isn't a knocking noise by any means.

It has 16k on the clock.Just changed plugs.

Also,it never has liked 1500 rpm,if you are in first gear and tooling along it will fuss and lope,anything above 1500 or below is just fine.

If you are parked and rev it to 1500 rpm it will start to lope up and down about 200 rpm.1700 Rpm or 1300 rpm and it's fine.

And one other thing,why do Wings "whine" at lower RPMS?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The "sewing machine" ticking is normal for the 1800.

Just enjoy the ride.:action:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thank you guys,the "sewing machine" noise is a great way to describe it.glad it's normal.

Curios,have any of the rest of you noticed rpm variation at 1500 rpm?Meaning that if you rev it to 1500the engine rpm goes up and down by 100 or so RPM,anything under or over is steady as a rock.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

My 04 does not lope, but it does tick and whine.... Have you tried the ECM reset procedure. Do a search on the forums and you'll find it.

Here is the gist of it, but check the procedure in case I have left something out!!

Do not touch the throttle during this entire procedure or you will have to repeat it again.

When the bike is cold start it and let it idle. Wait till the bike warms up and the fans come on. Now turn the bike off, not just with the kill switch but with the key.

Now restart your bike and see if it now idles and runs better at lower RPM's.

Henry

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

yeah my 2002 also does the "sewing machine" ticking but it goes away after you get out of idle speed.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

My 04 has a quiet ticking sound when it's at idle, however I should note that I use TC-W3 marine 2-cycle oil (1oz per 6 gal) in the gas. It makes it a little bit quieter, but I can still hear it. As far as the 1500 rpm thing, I can honestly say that I haven't really noticed anything, but then again I haven't really tried to keep it at 1500 rpm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.