Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has been great. My wife and I put 200 to 400 miles on it every weekend. But it sounds like something is slipping when I accelerate rapidly. It sounds something like a starter motor that does not disengage. I'm wondering if it is something to do with the belt pulleys or something worse.

Thanks in advance for what I should be looking for.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Do you mean something in the driveline feels like it is slipping on hard acceleration? A slipping sound is what I hear during winter while walking on ice just before winding up on my arse.:wink:

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
Are you describing a rumbling, marble grinding, slipping sound when you accelerate away from a standing stop? or a noise that comes one when you accelerate from a cruising speed to make a pass or run up a hill?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It happens only when I accelerate from a stop. It sounds like a grinding bearing and it sounds as though it is coming from the engine. It only lasts for a second or two. Other than that the bike runs great at all speeds.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
That's just the way an 1100 sounds if you don't get the Rs up and slip the clutch a little taking off.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Have you synchronized the carburetors?
That will often reduce the primary chain slap at low RPM.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
That is a normal sound from the 1100, especially when the carbs are a little out of sync. Mine likes to be at 1800 to 2000 rpm to pull off a stop without making that marbles in the guts sound.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. As usual I'm just a bit paranoid. Think we will ride to Bryce canyon this weekend.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
So, Dave. Is that from the damper plate in the clutch, or is there some other cause? Just curious if it can be fixed.
It is a combination of a little slack in the primary chain, gears and clutch and doesn't need fixed. A good carb synch helps but technique is the only cure as far as I know.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
It is a combination of a little slack in the primary chain, gears and clutch and doesn't need fixed. A good carb synch helps but technique is the only cure as far as I know.
The reason I ask is my GL12 has been making a sound like that since I got it back from the dealer who installed the stator and the clutch pack, which included the damper plate for a GL11.
I've been blaming it on the carbs because I've had so much trouble with them. Nothing I do corrects it though.
If this is a damper plate issue, then at least GL11 owners would have a way to repair it if it got too irritating to bear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.