Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

can anyone tell me which is the slow jet on a GL1200 Aspy. i have been told i have a problem with the slow jets and from the clymer manual i have its not clear which is the slow jet.

Many Thanks Ali

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

well the slow jet is next to the floats. you must take the carbs off and remove 4 screws to remove the float chamber cover.

here is a diagram.

its the "E"

picture is from the hayness manual. get it at the link on my signature, having all manuals is pretty useful as one shows stuff that the other missed.

another pic:

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the manuals. the bike is coming along well i removed carbs and in the process of cleaning them. i wanted to identify which were the slow jets as it was pointed out to me that they may be an issue so i wanted to make sure they were clean, didn't want all that hard work for nothing! should have them cleaned by today and hoping to have them back on the bike by tomorrow evening!

Thanks Ali

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks for the info guys! i found all four slow jets and as suspected three of them were blocked! i just had a brainstorm the other night to double check and im glad i did cos i was going to put the carbs back on! i soaked them further and found a wire to poke through until i could see through them. finally installed the carbs again and with a lot of tinkering and a flat battery (i jumped her off my truck even though i know you shouldn't but i did!) and after nearly needing a change of underwear from the blowback she started for about 10 seconds on all four cylinders!!! so happy its paid off!!!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Did you count the turns of the pilot jet before you took it out? It's right on the bottom of the carb, the one labeled N in the pic above. There's a procedure for checking and resetting it in the manual. It may have a limiter knob on it that may need to be removed.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you did not counted the turns of the pilot screw, go for the manual spects.. i used them on my bike and she runs great.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

i got the carbs back on the bike after finding 3 of the 4 slow jets were clogged! so glad i had the thought of rechecking! after all that work she started for a second or two only to find that one of the float bowls was leaking fuel. so here we go again! carbs off an found that the seal had popped off on one of the corners and it was leaking through there. had to get a new seal cos it was split. removed carbs again today and got them back on the bike after replacing the seal. finally she runs!! after 2 months of effort and no mechanical skills she runs!!!!! think she could do with the carbs being synced cos she runs a lil rough but she is running!! thank you to all of you that have helped me through everything!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I also have been working on the carbs of my 1100 wing, which I have left sitting in the basement for the past 10 years, (shame on me). :lash:
Good news, I cleaned up the main jets, put the carbs back on and the bike fired up with good throttle response.
Bad news, it will not idle under 3,000 rpm.
While the electrodes on the spark plugs looked good, based on the manuals, I was going to look for an electrical problem.
But after reading the posts about the "slow jet" and the very excellent explanations & diagrams, I think I will take the carbs back off, :sadguy:
and try to remove the slow jets and clean them.

That is unless someone can suggest doing something else next sense carb removal is a big job.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Bill

This post is on a 1200, different carbs and the post is 3 years old.

If gas was left in the carbs for 10 yrs, you will have to boil them clean or soak in gal bucket of carb cleaner to clean out all the tiny ports of the gummed gas.

Or you can continue to get the same results .....if you prefer.

Start a new post topic if you have more questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.