Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have a 1985 LTD that after it's ridden for a while and gets warm. You shut it off and it sits for 5 minutes or so when I go to restart it barely cranks but does start. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

More than likely the starter needs a refresh. Check all the grounds.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I checked continuity from the starter mounting bolt to battery ground and it reads .03 ohms. How difficult is it to remove the starter?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Welcome! I'm not sure on the 1200 (someone will jump in soon), but on the 1100 it's not a big deal to get it off. Many have experienced your problem, and if you follow the link below to the ref/FAQ forum, you'll read an excellent how-to on a starter refresh. Done it myself & it makes a world of difference.

Dave

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/73447.html

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

I used to have an LTD, and had the same problem. It was carbon dust in the starter.
Cleaned it out and that fixed it.

But then the stator slowly went bad, and the problem returned due to battery not getting charged. Does it behave this way after you go for a ride at speed (ie: highway), or only when riding around town (stop n go)?

If it's the latter then suspect your stator.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I doesn't matter where or how I ride. After it warms up good it barely turns over, After it has sit for a few hours and cools down it cranks fine. When it's cool the voltage never drops below 11, when its hot it drops to about 9.6. With the bike running it usually puts out around 14.3 above idle and 12.5 when you stop and have the brakes on.
David

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
imported post

I've never removed my starter yet, but the guys here say it can/should be done on the side-stand without having toremove the exhaust. Carbon dust from the brushes builds up around the starterarmature, and expansion from engine heatcan cause some drag when trying to re-start when hot.

You should also check the "STATOR" connection in front of the battery to be sure it's not starting to dis-color from heat/high resistanceand causing a poor connection. Better yet would be to cut it out and hard wire the three legs. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

I second the starter refresh, clean out and put new brushes in it. I had the same problem last year on a 1986 SEi, refreshed my starter, all is good now. Cranks over nice and quick.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I'll do the refresh and let you know how it works out.
Thanks for the help!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You don't need to have the bike on the side stand to remove and replace the starter, the sprocket won't fall into the engine. I've changed half a dozen starters in 1100s and 1200s and never could push the sprocket in by hand. On the center stand you are less likely to have oil slop out.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Hi

I had the same problem. Had a couple of loose connections which helped when I tightened them up but the main problem was the starter brushes. Now starts first time every time.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

Colt 45 wrote:
I doesn't matter where or how I ride. After it warms up good it barely turns over, After it has sit for a few hours and cools down it cranks fine. When it's cool the voltage never drops below 11, when its hot it drops to about 9.6. With the bike running it usually puts out around 14.3 above idle and 12.5 when you stop and have the brakes on.
David
Your starter is definitely drawing too much voltage when hot. Agree with the others about the starter clean/rebuild etc.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well, I just finished replacing the starter, I decided not to rebuild the old one, all the screws rounded out and the brushes were shot. I did have to remove the shifter and the exhaust to get it done.
All is Good!
Thanks to all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.