Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello fellow wingers!

I have a 1986 Goldwing Interstate 1200. I just recently replaced a broken speedometer cable. After installing it, my speedometer is not working properly. It was working just fine before my old cable broke. When taking off from a dead stop, it creeps up very slowly when it should be matching the speed that I'm going. When slowing down and coming to a stop, it takes it a while to drop back to zero MPH. For instance, if I am going 55 MPH and come to a stop, when it should be at 0 MPH, it is still at about 35 MPH and slowly comes back down to 0 MPH. Any suggestions why this is happening? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

It's possible that something jammed up in the speedo causing the cable to break. If that was the case the new cable may well break also.

I can't help with fixing mechanical speedos, it has to be 35 years since I last looked inside one, and I couldn't fix that one either, sorry!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hmmm, ok. Looks like I am going to have to disassemble the thing to see whats going on. I have a theory about what might be going on but I will have to check into it first.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Most likely the front wheel drive gear . Kit

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:
How would a bad drive gear cause the speedo to hang up?
The little gear that drives the cable gets worn. Will not provide enough contact to get the cable moving hence the slow speed. Going 45 and it says 20. Also will not engage when slowing down, so stays spinning from inertia. Could also be just because one of the ends is not correctly mated into the gear or the speedo, but sounds like the drive gear to me. On the older bikes they have a drive gear on the front wheel, this is what actuates the speedometer.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
English Bob wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:
How would a bad drive gear cause the speedo to hang up?
The little gear that drives the cable gets worn. Will not provide enough contact to get the cable moving hence the slow speed. Going 45 and it says 20. Also will not engage when slowing down, so stays spinning from inertia. Could also be just because one of the ends is not correctly mated into the gear or the speedo, but sounds like the drive gear to me. On the older bikes they have a drive gear on the front wheel, this is what actuates the speedometer.

Kit
Makes sense now you explain it, guess that's why they pay you the big bucks:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

I fooled with one of these things about 35 years ago, and I believe that it should be something like this:

The speedo needle shaft is attached to a metal disk/bowl and there is a magnet mounted to the speedometer cable shaft that spins underneath it. the magnetic coupling is what moves the needle when the speedo cable turns the magnet. A small clock spring is what returns the needle to zero when the cable stops spinning the magnet. The needle rides in a couple of bearings and when they get dirty or the spring is stretched or broken it will mess up the indicated speed.

Open up the speedometer head and all it might need is good cleaning and oiling. Whatever you do, don't stretch or break that spring! Also don't let the odometer gears fall out, they are a boogger to get back in.

Sorry, that's the best I can describe it. Its been to long.

Good luck!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

As far as the gear goes, its practically new.....replaced it last year. No more than 1 K on it. I am wondering if the speedo end of the new cable is a tad bit smaller than the old one and is spinning inside the speedo. Does that sound logical?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

That wouldn't explain the slow down to zero timelag to me. Should be pretty easy to tell by looking at the old cable you removed.

I believe the problem is going to be inside the speedo head along the lines of what I described above. I doubt that honda will give you an exploded diagram of the speedo head. It is supposed to be replaced as an assembly.

Good luck!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

If you do decide to open up the head and decide to clean it out, be very careful as to what oil/grease you decide to use there. Some plastic is very sensitive to oil/grease and can crack and fall apart over time when exposed. Check with the GURU's here maybe Kit knows what to use. I'd try vaseline before I'd use any type of petroleum product inside unless you are only placing it on metal parts, then very sparingly.

Good luck

Daveo

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

WinginKy wrote:
As far as the gear goes, its practically new.....replaced it last year. No more than 1 K on it. I am wondering if the speedo end of the new cable is a tad bit smaller than the old one and is spinning inside the speedo. Does that sound logical?
Could be if the wrong cable, but I highly doubt it. If the gear is new and the new cable is good, it is most likely the speedo head. Be best to try to get a new used one off Ebay or something. .

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

If it's not the front wheel gear, then it sounds very as though the speedcup bearing is dry and dragging, this would give lag in both directions.

As for lubrication I couldn't guess what would work.

Edit: it occurs to me that the non-congealing oil used in clocks would probably be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have been told by a friend to shoot a little graphite into the speedo. I am going to inspect the cable ends to see that they are the same. I am not techically inclined enuff to take the speedo apart. If I took it apart and tried to put it back together again, it would probably tell me the time in Japan instead of what speed I was going...:cheeky1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.