Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,just joined and need some advice. I've been riding Hondas for 40+ years but never had to work on them,always bought them new. Summer 2008 I sold my 750 Nighthawk and bought a 84 GL1200I from original owner with 24000 on it,always garage kept,looks as close to new as possible. I rode it for a few weeks and even though the oil didn't look bad I changed it and filter using Honda GNA4 10W-40SJ bought from Honda. I noticed it shifted easier(never was really hard) and the whining trans sound was noticably less. After about 3 rides I noticed that when cold the starter seems to work fine,but when warm the starter has trouble turning over the engine,I hold the starter button and the starter turns it over once,and then once more about every 1 to 2 seconds. It always starts on the 2nd or 3rd rotation but has me concerned if I'm out somewhere and it won't start. Can it be the oil? that's the only thing that was done and it started right after the change.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

1200s have notoriously poor starters. I would bet yours needs to be rebuilt. Not wanting to turn over the hot engine is a good indicator that the starter has a build up of crud from worn brushes. You can get a rebuild kit from "E" bay for about $35 or a starter for around $125.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Sounds like typical tired starter syndrome. I would find the ground wire and clean that connection to the frame. This is often overlooked and can create a significant voltage drop. But after that odds are that you need to look at the starter.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Eh Rich, See if you can get a service history on your wing by the last owner. Ask him if he ever had a charging system problem & if he did, What did he do to correct it.

The 1200's have issues with weak stators but yours might have been replaced.

If you end up needing a starter, Shy away from the cheap chineese ones & call or google stocker starters out of California. Their starters are proven good. You might just need a brush kit for yours, or a good clean out. No engine removal like the book might lead you to believe, Just 10 or 20 minutes & it's out.

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks All, I'll check out the starter,read a lot about oil types and starter not engaging(mine engages but is straining and slow when hot) and since it started doing this right after the oil change just wondered if that could have done it. The stator has never been replaced and it doesn't have the connector by the battery soldered or the wiring kit installed to eliminate the connector,connector looks fine right now.The battery is 2 years old , checks out at 12.64.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Check the voltage drop when you crank the engine. If it drops below 10 you've got a problem. Could be ground, postive cable or battery.

I would also see if there is any voltage drop on the postive cable to the solenoid. If there is any difference from the + battery to the + solenoid post replace this positive cable.

I agree with the others, sounds like starter to me.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

oil would not be an issue here even though it acted up right after the change. If viscosity was wrong, you would see the effects while cold alot more than hot!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

maybe run it around for the day and let it set overnight...then pull the plugs out and turn it over...see what happens....but yeah the starter prob needs doin up....also rotten power grnd cables?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Rich, One note about starters. And I may have this backward, but I believethe 84 starter is slightly different than the 85-87 starters. As in they're not interchangeable. Maybe one of the GURUS can confirm this. But your condition sounds like common starter woes. Nothing to do with the oil. George.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks again everyone,I'll check out the cables and starter as soon as it warmsup a few degrees,it's 13 degrees this morning and is supposed to get colder today.I'll put up a post when it's working correctly.

Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.