Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday I went on a run in 95deg F. weather. After being stopped for 20-30 minutes, the bike wouldn't fire right up as I'm used to. It would take 5-10 seconds of turning over before it would light. Usually, just a touch of the starter button does the trick.Then it ran just like nothing was wrong. No hesitation, plenty of power, no stuttering or lack of response to throttle. I also got about 43 mpg(all highway miles for the most part,easy on the throttle).

I'm wondering in the extreme heat of the day if the gas was being boiled out of the carb bowls at rest. Then when I went to start it, the pump would re-fill the bowls and off I'd go.

Have any of you experienced this? Is there a fix or am I just going to have to put up with this?

BTW, I forgot to use sunscreen. Boy does that burn me up.:goofygrin:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hobie 1, I'm sorry, I can't offer any help, I've never experienced what you describe. We ride in hot weather most of the time. I'm sure someone here will be able to offer some ideas. Was this a one time occurence or did it happen several times during the day?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

This occured repeatedly throughout the day. This was the hottest weather so far that I've ridden this bike in. We only had 5 90 deg F. days last year and have had that many already this last week.

I don't know. It was just a irritiation more than anything as I was the only 'Wing in the group. Of course, all of the HD's fired right up.:crying::doh:. Plus I don't like spinning thestarter that much. It always was about the same amount of cranking time, then as I said, off we went.

I use MMO pretty regularly(1-2 metric glugs) and burn 87 octane. My battery is a new AGM sealed Westco battery and I'm showing 13.5 -13.8 static and 12.8 during cranking.

I'm going to go get it here in a bit and I'll see if it does it again today(temps in the mid-90's).

Also I just read the whole thread about the wing that won't start when hot(didn't see it before I posted this) and would like to add that the starter is spinning the motor just as fast as when the bike is cold.

C-ya

Hobie

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the starter might be getting hot and dragging. Seems to be a common problem with the 1100's. Check and clean all connections on the battery, starter and starter relay.

If the problem gets worse you may need to pull the starter, replace the brushes and give it a thorough cleaning. Not all that hard to do. You DO NOT need to pull the engine. The manual says you do.

When I did mine, it was at the point where the starter would barely turn the bike over when the engine was hot. Since the starter rebuild it turns the engine over nicely when hot and the temps are in excess of 110 here.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Az,

I stated that the starter is spinning the motor as fast as when cold, the voltage remains at a reasonable level, and after about 5-10 seconds of cranking the bike lights off and runs perfectly fine. So I would find it reasonable to say that the starter or cranking circuit is fine. I'm just used to having it light off immediately after touching the starter button.

But thanks for your input. I most always learn good stuff from you.:clapper:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Sorry! I guess that last line didn't sink in! Must be the heat LOL.

My bike seems to always take about the same amount of crank time whether it's 60 degrees or 120 degrees so I doubt if the fuel is boiling off.

I have noticed it's taking a little longer to fire up lately but I have right at 8000 miles on the plugs. Time for new ones. But still, it always fires up in 3 seconds or less.

I always give a little twist on the throttle to help fire it up. Not much, just a little. Does yours need this, or will itstart right up without it? If I don't give it a shot it takes considerably longer (5-10 sec) to start. I just went out and tried it but the engine is cold. Idles great but the shot when starting helps.

Mine has always been this way since I have owned it so it's normal for me. I don't know how any others act.

I'll try starting it without giving a twist on the throttle when the engine is hot, next time I go out and I'll let you know how it does.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the heat range on your plugs? I run DPREA-9. Could your plugs be getting heat soaked and not providing a good spark till they cool down a little? I kind of doubt it since you have good power and such good mileage! I only get about 36mpg.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Hobie1,

I took my bike out and got it good and hot, then let it sit for about 20 minutes. I just went out and tried to start it without giving it any throttle. I let it spin for about 10 secondsand the starter was turning the engine very quickly but it didn't sound like it was firing at all. Then I gave it just a little twist of the throttle. Fired up as soon as I did!

Thinking back it does seem like it startswithout the throttle twistin cooler weather. I just checked on wunderground.com and the temp is only 93 deg. right now.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks AZ!

I just went out and rode for awhile in our lovely midwestern heat(95F and 60%humidity)and when I stopped, at full operating temp, the bike would fire right back up like I'm used to. I let it sit and it was a little more reluctant to start. I too will twist the throttle at first start up and the bike will always light right up. However, since it was so hot I didn't do this. I was afraid of flooding. My plugs are almost brand new Iridium NGKs with less than 1500 miles on them.

I'm thinking its just the excessive heat causing a boil off of sorts in the carbs. I'm not going to get real exicited about it unless it becomes more chronic.

Thanks for the discourse and if I discover something to alleviate this I'll get back to y'all.

Hobie1........out.

BTW, I filled it up while I was out and I got, hold on, 44.7mpg!!:goofygrin::clapper::clapper:

Wow.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Hobie1,

I'm curious. What kind of mileage were you getting before you went to Iridium plugs? Any performance improvements worth the price?

Since I need new plugs anyway maybe I should try them.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

My 1100 does the same thing, starts on the first compression stroke when warm, but when its real hot it needs throttle opened.
Guess the gas in the carbs vaporizes after shutdown and fills the air cleaner and motor.
When engine and air temp is hot twisting throttle about 1\4 turn starts engine quickly.
Rod

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Alrighty then!! I love getting good input.

To answer the question about my previous mileage: no difference to speak of. My bike has been an absolute jewel since I bought it last year. The reason why I changed to Iridiums is one of not knowing what I had to begin with. The log that was provided to me showed that my bike had Split-fire plugs installed the last time. Since I've read some bad things about them I decided to go with the Iridiums from NGK and be done with that for a while. Lo and behold, I actually had NGK standard plugs and they looked great when I took them out. Soooo, I think that if you put a decent plug in, not a premium, you will do just fine. If you want a "lifetime" plug then maybe the $8.00 per plug will be alright. I'm not unhappy and the Iridiums are working just fine. Instant starts(unless it's 95+:goofygrin:) smooth running.

Regards to all:waving:

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hobie, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a bit of vapor lock. Sitting in 95F sun could run the internal parts of the bike up to the 130s. Also being in Illinois they might not have gasoline formulated for the heat. I had the same thing happen some years ago in British Columbia, they had a heat wave in the Frasier River Gorge on the highway, several gas stations couldn't even pump fuel and cars were stopped along the roadwith vapor lock. Give her a twist or two on the throttle and if it starts okay I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues in cool weather.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks Exavid. You made me think of something. My car was running crappy last week also. I put the same gas in it that I do my wing. However, my wing's motor is in better shape than my car's.:doh:I just didn't put 2 and 2 together.

So, maybe it's as you said, the last batch of gas might of not been formulated correctly for the heat. I do know it seemed better yesterday in just as hot of weather.

Last year we had only 5 days of above 90deg weather. This year it's seems like it's never going to stop. We've got 100deg weather forecast for the middle of the week and we are absolutely burning up around here. We haven't had any rain for well over a month and the crops are frying, I haven't had to mow my yard in almost three weeks and my electrical bill just keeps going up. Oh well. What are ya going to do?

Thanks guys for the discussions.

Till next time,

C-Ya

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Yesterday I went on a run in 95deg F. weather. After being stopped for 20-30 minutes, the bike wouldn't fire right up as I'm used to. It would take 5-10 seconds of turning over before it would light. Usually, just a touch of the starter button does the trick.Then it ran just like nothing was wrong. No hesitation, plenty of power, no stuttering or lack of response to throttle. I also got about 43 mpg(all highway miles for the most part,easy on the throttle).

I'm wondering in the extreme heat of the day if the gas was being boiled out of the carb bowls at rest. Then when I went to start it, the pump would re-fill the bowls and off I'd go.

Have any of you experienced this? Is there a fix or am I just going to have to put up with this?

BTW, I forgot to use sunscreen. Boy does that burn me up.:goofygrin:
Hobie, more than likely just a hot fuel vapor problem. Not uncommon if the fuel in your area is blended for cooler ambient temps. It's also possible you bought some leftover winter gasoline from a low sales fuel station. It's even possible you bought some fuel with a high concentration of alcohol in it.

See if it (the problem) continues to happen, if so look fora coil problem from hot soak or a weak spark due to overheated pulse coils.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for your take on the situation, Twisty.

I'm think fuel is the problem. The bike would take about the same amount of time to light off each time that afternoon. When started, ran like a sowing machine. Plenty of power etc.

I've not been able to ride it much since last Sat. due to work:baffled:but when I refilled it Sunday, it seemed better in the same airtemp. So, like we've discussed, it probably was just a fuel issue. I didn't mean to jump the gun sortto speak, but ifthe bike was developing a problem, I wanted to be ahead of the game as much as possible.

Oh oh. I'm late for work.

Drat.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I have a GL1200 limited Edition fuel injection and I have had the same problem with vapor lock in my fuel lines. When weather gets above 90s. I think fuel has a lot of attives or alcohol in it. Try fixing or buying parts for these Goldwings

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

andy3358 wrote:
I have a GL1200 limited Edition fuel injection and I have had the same problem with vapor lock in my fuel lines. When weather gets above 90s. I think fuel has a lot of attives or alcohol in it. Try fixing or buying parts for these Goldwings
:clapper::clapper:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, Andy!:clapper::clapper:

There's no argument that parts are somewhat scarce for the LTD/SEi. There weren't that many of them built to start with and twenty years have passed. It is impressive how many are still running and doing it well. The main supply of parts for the more esoteric parts of these bikes now is eBay. As for working on any 1000, 1100, and 1200 it's hard to find shops that can or will work on them. That's what we are all trying to do here. Most of us are amateurs who try to learn from each other so that we can keep these fine bikes running.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I must agree. I have worked on several Goldwings but I have no idea why honda droped the fuel injection. Mine runs great I have found several parts will interchange with the Honda cars. The throttle sensor can be found on 1986 Honda prelude and some Civics. I have not tryed the fuel pump but it is almost the same as 1986 Honda Prelude Si. I will not pay honda $700.00 dollars when I can buy the prelude pump for $80.00. I guess that is way to kept running. Good Luck!

Andy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think they quite building them due to the cost of building them. Sure wish they'd come out with an updated one, I'd go for it.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Update on 1986 Honda Goldwing Fuel Injection. I just replaced my Fuel Pump with a 1985-1986 Honda Prelude 2.0 F/I fuel pump off car $92.88 new. Beats Hondas $700.00 Plus price.My Goldwing does not Vapor lock anymore and runs great.That sure is a better price. Little to no modifcation. Pump is a little smallerand it comes with extra rubber it fit bracket. I hope this helps other with 1985 and 1986 Fuel injected Goldwings. Pump part number is(Brand MASTER) P/N E8000. AC Delco P/N EP2077,Carter P/N P70199. I used the Master brand.

Thanks; Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.