Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have an 81 GL 1100 that sat for about 6 yrs, I have had the carbs rebuilt and sync. also had to rebuild the front master cylinder and gone thru the back brakes, it starts and sounds great but when taking it for it's test ride I run it thru the gears and could only get to about 65 mph it seemed to not want to pull anymore in 5th gear:baffled:should I change my plugs or does it sound like the pluse generator? I also need to change the front fork seals as they are leaking also thanks for all input.:)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

One of the first things you can do is put in fresh plugs and do a plug chop.

If safe to do so, with fresh plugs when at operating temperature, accelerate at full throttle (To 60 mph) then hit the kill switch, pull in the clutch and coast to a stop, pull the plugs and check their condition.

This will tell you a lot about fuel delivery, check for color and unifomity across all the plugs. If you question the outcome, lay the plugs on a white sheet of paper and take a picture, let us see.

A compression test may also help determine the problem, do you have enough and equal cylinder pressure. Twisty had a good post the other day on this.

You can also check for spark at each cylinder by laying the plug against the head and checking for a fat blue spark.

Only being able to attain 65 MPH sounds like you have at least one dead cylinder, could be fuel, compression or ignition caused.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Hi didranway. It sounds like you have one of the restricted California models. If the speedometer reads only 85mph (or 80mph I forget which) then you have a restricted bike. There are washers spot welded in the downpipes and this stops the bike going over about 70mph. Honda only did this with the 1981 models and it was a daft idea.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum didranway! :waving:

Is it a California bike? From what I understand the CA bikes (back then anyway)have a restrictor welded in the header pipes. You can check by dropping the headers and looking in the pipes. The restrictor isa washer welded about 1 inch down the pipe. You can knock it out with a screw driver and hammer if there. I think the top speed should still be more like 85 mph even with the restricor though.

Are you sure it's not starving for fuel? I'm not sure what the fuel delivery rate out of the pump is supposed to be but maybe it's not keeping up. Testing of the fuel pump has been brought up before and you can find the thread using the search function.

When I replaced my throttle cable last year I screwed the cableend by the carbsto far in and discovered (on my way to work while passing someone) that I could not get full throttle. I had to readjust the cable sleeve so the rocker where the cable rests when connected to the carb linkage, would pivot all the way backwithout hitting the end of the throttle cable sleeve.

Hope that makes sense to you!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

didranway wrote:
I have an 81 GL 1100 that sat for about 6 yrs, I have had the carbs rebuilt and sync. also had to rebuild the front master cylinder and gone thru the back brakes, it starts and sounds great but when taking it for it's test ride I run it thru the gears and could only get to about 65 mph it seemed to not want to pull anymore in 5th gear:baffled:should I change my plugs or does it sound like the pluse generator? I also need to change the front fork seals as they are leaking also thanks for all input.:)

didranway, you could have any number of problems from an ignition problem, to a fuel flow problem, to a dragging brake problem, to an intake or exhaust plugging problem.

How does the bike run in the lower gears? Is it clean pulling in the lower gears, does it accelerate cleanly from a dead stop?

If you haven't already done so, make sure the air cleaner doesn't have amouse nest in it or otherwise plugged up..

Maybe look at the vacuum hose routing for the ignition advance. (make sure the advance is working correctly).

Make sure the carb throttle plates are opening all the way (an easy place to loose top end).

It's also possible you have a restriction in the exhaust system due to mice making nests in there or rust build-up (not at the top of the list but possible).

You could also have an ignition system flattening out at high RPM's either due to low coil supply voltage (kind of common in older Wings).. You might put a voltmeter on the coil supply side terminal(s) & check the running supply voltage at high RPM's.

Can you easily reach RPM red line in the lower gears? If not you have a basic problem so you might do a fuel flow test (you might have a fuel flow restriction).

How well does the bike coast (clutch pulled in) .. If it doesn't coast very good you might have dragging brakes.

If you can give us a little more info on what seems to be holding the bikes speed down (like engine RPM's or lack of power at certain throttle openings) we can probably get closer to the problem.

Lack of top end can be so many things you will just have to try & eliminate the obvious first.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Well it has good take off, it will get to redline in 1,2,3 gears didn't try in 4th or 5th I haven't got to test it too much yet as I just brought it home yesterday, but I know the aircleaner is not plugged up, I get a new set of plugs and try that, how do you test the vacuum advance? Also how would I test the coils? thanks Randy:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, didranway!:waving::waving:

Isn't there something tricky with the ignition timing in 4th and 5th gears? I dimly remember something about the ECU changing the timing in those gears, I think it applied to the 1100. I'm sure one of the guys here will know something about it, hang in there a bit.

G

·
imported post

Hey didranway :jumper: A big Irish Welcome to the Best Goldwing Forum on the net. :weightlifter:
:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, didranway!:waving::waving:

Isn't there something tricky with the ignition timing in 4th and 5th gears? I dimly remember something about the ECU changing the timing in those gears, I think it applied to the 1100. I'm sure one of the guys here will know something about it, hang in there a bit.
The 1200's -- 1st through 3rd have a mechanical advance. 4th and 5th are advanced by vaccum.

Not a guru yet, but I know a few things. I have a secret little book that talks to me. muhhaaahahaha!:grinner:

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

[email protected] wrote:
exavid wrote:

The 1200's -- 1st through 3rd have a mechanical advance. 4th and 5th are advanced by vaccum.

Not a guru yet, but I know a few things. I have a secret little book that talks to me. muhhaaahahaha!:grinner:

The 1200s don't have a disributor, thus they do not have a mechanical advance. Timing is controled by the ignition module under the false tank which recieves pulses from the pulse generators letting it know when to fire each coil. Spark timing is altered based on the vacuum signal to the ignition module fom the #4 Intake runner.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
imported post

didranway wrote:
Well it has good take off, it will get to redline in 1,2,3 gears didn't try in 4th or 5th I haven't got to test it too much yet as I just brought it home yesterday, but I know the aircleaner is not plugged up, I get a new set of plugs and try that, how do you test the vacuum advance? Also how would I test the coils? thanks Randy:waving:
Redlined in 3rd? I'd say you've already been well over 65!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

You probably want to check and make sure the carb slides are not sticking. I had a 77 that had sat for 18 years. Once I had it running and thought I had cleaned the slides up sufficiently I had similar problems. 60 seemed to be about tops. I took the tops off again and did a second pass at cleaning them up. That and one of my new needle jets I had put in had failed and dropped down cutting that cylinder off to idle. Put the original needles back in and cleaned up the slides. and it turned into a screamer at that point.

bob

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

didranway:can you run your speeds at RPM by me, I wonder if the tach and the speedo are running correctly. At 60 MPH my 1100 runs at 3700 RPM in 5th, from there I can pull until at 170 Km/hr around 80 MPH I give up, but there is still a yard of cable left. Is the bike base and naked or loaded with fairing and bags? You can hit red line in 1,2,3 sounds like you may be going faster than indicated. Keep looking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.