Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to post a 'Thanks!' to Tim Wentzell for listing the Starter Refresh article in the Bikers Workshop. I was having major issues with mine. It finally wouldn't even turn the motor over. I thought I'd have to go to ebay for another one or have mine rebuilt.

Doing a search here I stumbled across
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/starterrefresh.htm

Great directions. Although written for an 1100, my starter was exactly the same. Taking it off the bike was the hard part. No new parts, just some cleaning and new grease and my starter sounds like it will pull the bike to the next state all by itself! And the motor now fires up instantly, even after sitting for 2 months, because the starter isn't sucking up all the juice in the battery.

Thanks Tim! :claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Wildman… You’re quite welcome!

I guess it’s spring and everybody is slowly waking their bikes for another season. I see people have been really digging through old posts. These are the reasons why I post them.

I am glad that you have had success with this. Parts are not always needed, just a good cleaning.

Be safe! :waving:

Tim.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
a question about the walk through...

I'm also in the middle of the refresh on my starter, with the symptoms that others have reported. (Sounded like a dead battery, but got the same behavior (slow crank) when I tried to start it using a fully charged car battery.)

Does the specific I use in the starter refresh matter? I have some MasterPro Super Lithium EP Moly Grease -- any reason why this isn't OK to use in the starter?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
As long as it’s a “High Heat” type grease that will not melt easily. I used a good quality bearing grease.

Tim.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
It's always nice when forum members come back and post a thanks or acknowledgement like this. I'd like to see it happen more often.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I know I like it when I see it whether it was for/to me or not.

It makes the hard work and effort that people put into what they doing feel more appreciated. It encourages more people to contribute to things in a positive way.

Tim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.