Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I shouldn't tell this on myself but since it's kind of funny (to someone) I will.
During the week I had been doing some maintenance on my bike since the weather was pretty cold and I didn't want to ride to work and back in the dark either. I had the shelter off changing the air filter and some other items. I had it all back together just waiting for today so I could go for a ride. I had not started it since putting it together, I don't like to start an engine without going somewhere and warming it up good. Anyway here I go, get dressed to ride and go to start the bike and nothing happens! What the :? is wrong, checked the battery, good there so what have I done? Checked the fuses, good there. Pulled the seat and checked at the ignition relay, no power to it. So now wondering what I could have left disconnected went ahead and pulled the shelter back off, It gets easier with practice. Looked at everything I had messed with and saw nothing wrong then it hits me, my eyes go up toward the right handle bar switches, sure enough the kill switch is off.:DBoy do I feel dumb. Hope my guru status doesn't get revoked for that one.
So off I go and rode 315 miles, wonderful ride, had the best road on earth to myself ( Talamena skyway) saw only 1 other bike and 8 cars on the whole 50 miles of it.
All is better now.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That is the only use I can think of for the kill switch. To mess with you, or for some person to turn it off and laugh. I have learned to always check that one and the reverse switch. The grand kids like to push and turn buttons.

Kit

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

Biker John wrote:
You weren't supposed to call him dummy, you were supposed to call him stupid and that was after you gave him a smack on the head. Since my arm is not long enough to reach to smack him on the head someone else will have to do it.:waving:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

What an IDIOT !

I can say that since I've never told on mysef the last 20 times. I've had a KILL switch for 40+ years, so it hasn't got me in the last 35 very much...at least I've rememberer to check it before getting any tools out. Thanks to the times I'VE DONE IT a few decades ago.

Some folks use it to shut their bike off so they always know it's OFF unless they turn it ON. [but then you have to remember to take the keys out before the battery conks. Yeah, I've done it. :baffled:

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I do leave the kill switch on all the time, have never intentionally turned it off. I may bypass the stupid thing. The stupid switch was caused by a lawsuit at sometime and was put there for someone in a panic and frozen on the throttle to be able to turn it off. Now tell me how that could work.

:pumpkin:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I got so far as to charge my battery for a few minutes befor I looked at that switch. I know just how you felt! Kinda like that cartoon where the dummy turns into a sucker with the wrapper on it! Peace, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think the kill switch is a good thing. For safety. If for some reason a throttle cable does stick at a higher speed, it is a very good thing to have and does not require you to take one hand off the handlebars and maybe lose control.

I never use it, I kill the bike with the side stand then turn the key off.

I do think it is a good thing to have, just in the remote chance some unusual situation does happen.

They are great on a dirt bike, bike is upside down on top of you and the rear wheel is trying to grind your leg like a shredder and you have a tree branch rammed through the front forks, yep they work well under those conditions.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

It at least should be spring loaded like on a dirt bike so you could kill it then it would turn itself back on. Or I guess get used to the silly thing being there. It to me is like the cruise control main switch, I have never turned it off on purpose either.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I havent done that more than 4-5 times in the couple months I've owned my 'wing...:D;)

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

I typically use the kill switch to embarrass myself when using reverse on the 1500.

I'm backing into my spot at work andhave to turn the handlebars to full lock and in the process bump the kill switch. I'm getting pretty good at getting it quickly restarted and calmly acting like "Hey, I meant to do that!"

:D

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I've used mine once or twice when someone was tailgating me. Shut it off for a couple of seconds and turn it back on it will scare the bejesus out of the tailgater. I dont think its good for the bike though.:shock:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

My brother did sorta the same thing with a new bike. Hiked home from the shopping centre, went back with his truck and trailer, muscled it into the trailer and took it home. Then he called the dealer to complain about this bike that wouldn't start etc.

Dealer: "Sir, have you checked the kill switch?"

Brother: "Doh!" :blushing::blushing::blushing:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

You know, I think we have all done that at one time or the other. Can't say as I've going as far as some of you, but yep, I've done it. Feels pretty dumb:shock:, guess for some of you it must feel dumber:doh::cheeky1::cheeky1: I didn't say I ever did that did I? :skipping:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I just do the "Head Smacking" :doh:myself, after putting all the dang plastic back together from doing all the troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

how funny, about the same thing happend to me but with me i got up one morning and nothing when i turned the key so after spending the time to check everything and pulling the battery and nothing wrong i decided to give it another try, nothing!!!, well then i happen to notice the bike was NOT in nuetral. Funny how that works lmao :D needless to say it started and i was :action:in no time.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

Yep been there done that where's my sign?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

What's dumb, is not you missed the kill-switch...is the fact that the bike turns over with the kill switch on. It shouldn't turn over (Starter) with it on...IMO

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

good point, hmmmmmm:stumped:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.