Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm not sure sure how I did it, but a small crack has appeared on the luggage box lid, (behind the seat)near the corner,a couple of inches from the left latch. It was 40F when I left for work this morning, and I think the rubber seal may have pinched between the top and bottom causing the crack.

The crack is in the little lip that goes over the bottom portion of the box, and is about half an inch long.

My first question is how brittle is this plastic, and will the crack spread quickly, or do I have a little time before I need to fix it.

My second question is what is the best way to fix this. Is there a specific glue that isbest for this? Do I need to drill a small hole at the base of the crack to prevent it from spreading? This is a nice looking box lid, and I want to fix it permanently.

Thanks,

Dolan

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

About the only thing I've found that will bond the plastic is ABS cement. It is a solvnet weld and seems to make a repair that is as strong as the original. I know it comes in black at Lowe's and Home Depot. To mend a crack you 'll need to get the crack to open and then get some to flow in. It'll begin to set pretty quick so do your best to get it aligned and keep it there for about 30 seconds. LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

The trunk lid (and all the plastic) on the 1100 is ABS. The previous post is correct about mending the crack. You'll want to prevent it from happening in the future, so you might want to bond another piece of ABS on the inside of the lid, over top of the crack location, to help strengthen it structurally.

Or, you can make up ABS slurry: buy a small piece of ABS pipe, and use a file or rasp to create some ABS filings. Mix this together with ABS cement until you get a thick black paste. You can then (quickly!) slop this over the area and smooth it in place. It will cure into solid ABS, permanently welded to the original trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

My 80 GL1100i had a couple of cracks too. One on the trunk lid and one on the left saddle bag lid (right by the front latch.) I used crazy glue or super glue and they're still holding. Thanks for the ABS glue tip...

Sincerely,

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I broke off one of the 'pins' on my left side panel. I realized when I examined it that it had been repaired before. I used a super glue gel to fix it and it was quick. I find that the gel is easier to use than the usual liquid version.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks everyone

I'm going to add this to the list of winter fixes.

--Dolan

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I fixed the crack this evening. It was barely visible before I started, and now it is noticable. I used a little art paint brush to apply the black ABS glue. Now there is 1/4 wide rough area where I applied the glue. Also the end of the crack where I had drilled a hole is slightly raised where I filled it in with glue.

This weekend, I will try to find some really fine sand paper or emery cloth to polish the area smooth.

If someone knows of a good way to remove the excess glue and polish it up, I'm open to suggestions. I am guessing there is a few coats of clear coat over the painted plastic. I don't want to screw this up. :)

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Use a small dremel tool to create a V-notch in the crack then fill and sand smooth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.