Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Goldwing and I have noticed when the bike has cooled the next day after a ride, small drips came from the rear of the engine, the drips about the size of a quarter ... the bike is on the center stand when its parked, I'm asking the forum what it might be before diving into it

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I have a 2000 Goldwing and I have noticed when the bike has cooled the next day after a ride, small drips came from the rear of the engine, the drips about the size of a quarter ... the bike is on the center stand when its parked, I'm asking the forum what it might be before diving into it
Is it rear and dead center or under the right or left rear cylinder head? Possibly under the rubber driveshaft boot?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Also, what color are the drips?? Coolant or brown oil? I did not put a color for coolant as there are at least 2 it could be, reddish or green for start.

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
519 Posts
Check/drain the two hoses (plugged with black tabbed plastic) on the left behind the shifter. The hoses are drains for the "tray" of the gas cap, and the Air box (IIRC). The hoses can get "cracked" with age and exposure to heat/sun and can develop a slight "leak" of fluids.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, what color are the drips?? Coolant or brown oil? I did not put a color for coolant as there are at least 2 it could be, reddish or green for start.
it's coming dead center of the rear of the engine unit

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is coolant dripping

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check/drain the two hoses (plugged with black tabbed plastic) on the left behind the shifter. The hoses are drains for the "tray" of the gas cap, and the Air box (IIRC). The hoses can get "cracked" with age and exposure to heat/sun and can develop a slight "leak" of fluids.
I will check that Blu

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you had the alternator out recently? Maybe the alternator rubber "O" ring was damaged, or not put on at all? They get hard and should be replaced when removing alternator.
gumbyred
No sir I haven't messed with that

·
Registered
4 Posts
What was you resolution to this issue. I have the same problem on my 98 1500 wing. It leaks dead center of rear of engine after a ride. After a couple days leak is gone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My friend... I will know tomorrow morning... just finished a ride where I rode 300 miles on the expressway maintaining 75 - 80 mph ... what I'm surmising ... I over filled my reservoir ... I noticed prior to the leak , the reservoir was low ... and yes I poured to much

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Super easy fixes are the best!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: in2it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What was you resolution to this issue. I have the same problem on my 98 1500 wing. It leaks dead center of rear of engine after a ride. After a couple days leak is gone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is the slave clutch that's leaking... I bought a endscope to look under there to see what is what due to me not getting my fat head under there to see ... it is the slave clutch leaking

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Brake fluid.,look how the paint is crinkled from where it leaked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is the clutch slave cylinder leaking hydraulic fluid, or coolant then?
gumbyredd
the slave clutch is hydraulic that uses DOT 4 brake fluid .. is leak baffled me till I got a endscope to view what was going on

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The give away on slave leaking is,it keeps needing to bled,new fluid added,clutch slipping in hi gear when acceleration.
It’s a PITA to repair,easier if the alternator is removed,there’s a seal into the motor,best to replace it also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts