Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1982 1100i is getting better with every repair performed. Here is my latest question. Right under the rocker covers where the exhaust header connects I have a little/slow drip of oil. It is so slow it doesn't effect the oil level but it drips onto my boot and the header causing a little smoke. I have put a wrench's on the nuts on the bolts and they seem to be on nice and snug. My covers are chrome and one of my GWRRA friends said they tend to warp slightly - suggests changing the gasket. What do you guys think? Which gasket - exhaust or cover gasket - both? You guys have really helped me get this baby back in shape - THANKS a TON!

:):):)

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I'm sure it's yourrocker-arm cover gasket. The exhaust gaskets only seal the headers to the head - they are metal rings that crush when installed... nothing to do with oil.

Before you go out and buy new cover gaskets (since they might be hard to find and expensive), try removing the covers, inspecting the gaskets and installing with some new oil as lubricant. If they're dry and stiff they might need to be replaced anyway. If the oil is hitting your boots it's probably not your head gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Mike,
If you don't have a new gasket to hand, take off the cover and then put silicone on the gasket and reassemble. That usually works.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

You could also try turning the offending gasket up the other way. The problem may move or may even go away because the problem "bit" is now only getting splashed.

From what I remember, replacements weren't that expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

aftermarket chrome covers seem to have this problem, as your friends suggest they tend to warp. back when your bike was new, drag specialties made replacements that were better then what seems to be out there now. rplacemnt gaskets aren't too expensive just do NOT over tighten the bolts that hold the cover on, they can strip out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.