Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How can I remove smaal scratches from my windshield. When riding against the sun I can hardly see a thing. or is it better to get a new one?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

i used meguires plasti-x with a pneumatic buffing wheel and it removed most all the light scratches from my windscreen. it was like you say sun or headlights at night would turn it almost opaque but after a few treatments it is almost like new.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

Ditto on Meguires.

There are different grades, just like sandpaper. Finish up with Meguires Mirror Glaze, which I think is the least abrasive grade.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

i use the meguires final finish or swirl remover, use generously and buff for a while, polish and then use a good wax. make sure you buff it until you remove the haze in both applications. i do mine a couple times a year because it cleans so good and it repells the rain better.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

3M Polishing Compound, and some elbow grease. 10 min each side. Then use some lemon pledge and it will be close to crystal clear!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

I have had a few windshields that were tough to ride into the Sun over the years.

One of the quick fixes that continually amazes me is the spray on product called Plexus. This Plexus comes in a spray can in different sizes. Large one for the Shop and small on for your saddle bags.

Every time I use it it amazes me.

I have over the years, used numerous other chemicals, The Honda Polish, Pledge, Plastic Polish, Various Waxes and nothing is as startling clear as Plexus.

BUT as always happens to me after I have the bike awhile I always put on a new Windshield.

The best deal I have found is from Cyclemaxohio.com

I bought the last one from them and it is similar to the Tulsa Tall.

It is Item number T55-9177 Slip Streamer and I see the price went up to $147.

It was $125. But it does come with a Vent.

They also have a Memphis Shades for $109.

A new Wind Shield is a joy, For the first couple of years anyway.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

Where can I get this Plexus product at, and what does it do exactly? Please advise, I just put a brand new windshield on my bike.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

novus #1,#2,#3. we use it on the C-17 lexan windshields and 8000 grit sand cloth. if you are by an airport you might find this killer stuff. the #1 is an anti fog and final cleaner, #2 is for light scrathes,and#3 is for deep scratches. the 8000 grit is for polishing anything you need to polish(like an american airlines MD-80).

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I have worked with clear plastics... all kinds of different ones, for many years. A long time ago, and I cannot remember where, I had read that when cleaning and polishing clear plastic windshields, always make your hand strokes in the same direction. Up and down was recommended. Scratches, from the largest to smallest ones will not obscure vision nearly as much as these same scratches that are in swirl or cross patterns.
Some can be polished out. Most can not. I would give some of the above mentioned products a try. But there is nothing quite like a new windscreen.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Plexus was designed for aircraft. Some motorcycle shops have it. It is available from Directlineparts.com. Also if there is a plastics supply shop in your area or sign shop that deals with acrylics.

It is real good stuff!!!:action:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

domscorpiorlg wrote:
Where can I get this Plexus product at, and what does it do exactly? Please advise, I just put a brand new windshield on my bike.
Wingstuff.com is one of many places...

Plexus - Click Here

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

rollen dean montoya wrote:
novus #1,#2,#3. we use it on the C-17 lexan windshields and 8000 grit sand cloth. if you are by an airport you might find this killer stuff. the #1 is an anti fog and final cleaner, #2 is for light scrathes,and#3 is for deep scratches. the 8000 grit is for polishing anything you need to polish(like an american airlines MD-80).
Ditto, on this product. Never found anything better.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Mohawk,

I borrowed some Plexus from a friend at NASSIR1, and I thought I used the best stuff. Boy, I was wrong.

Nightrider1

Mohawk wrote:
Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

I have had a few windshields that were tough to ride into the Sun over the years.

One of the quick fixes that continually amazes me is the spray on product called Plexus. This Plexus comes in a spray can in different sizes. Large one for the Shop and small on for your saddle bags.

Every time I use it it amazes me.

I have over the years, used numerous other chemicals, The Honda Polish, Pledge, Plastic Polish, Various Waxes and nothing is as startling clear as Plexus.

BUT as always happens to me after I have the bike awhile I always put on a new Windshield.

The best deal I have found is from Cyclemaxohio.com

I bought the last one from them and it is similar to the Tulsa Tall.

It is Item number T55-9177 Slip Streamer and I see the price went up to $147.

It was $125. But it does come with a Vent.

They also have a Memphis Shades for $109.

A new Wind Shield is a joy, For the first couple of years anyway.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I know,

Every time I use Plexus, I am totally surprised at the difference.

I haven't yet found a product that works as well with so little effort.

In over 40 years of riding and most on crusiers with windshields. I have tried almost all the products.

I am still sold on Plexus.

But.... You have to try it and see how awesome the results are.

Almost like magic.

Makes your mind think, "Well the scratches couldn't have been that bad"

But a week or so later when the plexus wears off the scratches are back.

But a quick shot and a wipe and the shield is back to crystal clear.

I have used it on Faded or crazed Gauges, Scratched Helmet shields and Old Sun Glasses too with great results.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

The spray Lemon Pledge furniture polish works wonders, too. It also takes off bugs very well. I could not hardly see through my windshield for the fine scratches but one claining with the pledge cleared it up nicely. My son found this tip on the Honda Shadow board, but I didn't believe him until I tried it. Never, ever use ammonia based window cleaners on plexiglas (or plastics)They just make the scratches worse.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Plexus was recommended to me years ago. I saw it remove or hide scratches instantly. My brother bought a bike that had an awful windshield so I used Plexus on his. After regular use it seemed like it went from unfixable to looking new. Many neighbors are now also hooked.

The best part is when you use Plexus and you see a bug-filled windshield, it comes clean fast, even if you don't clean it for a couple days.

I like Pledge, but prefer Plexus as the best (for now).

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

plexus has worked very wellfor me. But, I need to buff it clear the buff-with a cloth- a 2nd time, after about 10=15 minutes . it is clear except in bright direct in the face sunlight , then I get a blurring that looks the spray pattern unles I buff that 2nd time:?

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I also use Plexus. Went from the Lemon Pledge to the Orange Pledge,and then saw some Plexus in our Honda dealership. Gave it a try and am hooked on it. Want a real treat? Use it on the rest of the bike as well. Gives it a real deep shine and is antistatic so the dust doesn't collect on it in the garage.

A little pricey at $12.00 a can, but well worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

My 1200 had sat up for quite a while and the wind screen was terrible. I did use plexus and got by for a while. It seemed to take the small scratches out good, but after a while the hazing caused by too much sun would be back and at night would be dangerous.

Finally, I broke down and ordered a new slip stream wind screen from JC Whitney. After I put it on, I realized it was the best money I had spent on the bike and should have just done it alot sooner.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

A few months ago, someone recommended a product called Scratch Doctor by Nu Finish. It comes in an orange plastic bottle. It is great for making small scratches in paint disappear, but also works well on windshields.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.