Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
24,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a wonderful day for a ride. Dodge and I rode to the small town of Ozark and stopped at a barbecue place for lunch, it was a little before opening time so we sat out front on a bench. A man came over and began talking to us, he was on a trip from Oregon to Arkansas where he was from originally. We talked about places he knew and needed direction to some since he had not been here in a long time. One place he mentioned was Oark where he had family, I mentioned my great grandparents on my mother's side had lived there. Later we discovered he knew my Father & my Father knew his Father.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Ain't it so!:rofl:

Back in 2006, "Wife Unit" and I and our puppy took a 3 week, near 8,000 mile road trip, Rt 66, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Sequoia, etc. One evening, we stopped in Alpine, Wyo for the night, stayed at nice enough motel, walked to supper at a combination pizza / BBQ place … Gunnars or something like that. Nice looking young lady took our orders, and we started chatting.

She asked where we were from, I said Virginia. She said she once lived and worked in Northern Virginia before moving west to Wyoming. I said I once worked in NoVa. as well, she asked what I did, I said "highway work for the state" … she said she was a secretary at the Virginia State Police 7th Div. Safety office …. I was shocked. I asked her if she ever knew certain names (of some troopers I knew well who worked there) and mentioned "Krank"s name (Kranchick) and now she was speechless. I told what I really did (I wasn't retired yet) , etc, and I bet we had 15 or more friends in common. She even knew a couple of former / retired VSP members in western Wyoming. Like old home folk again. Deanna was her name.

Small World.

In speaking to people, often there's no connection …. but sometimes …. WOW.

In 2005 way out in west Texas … a intersection on Rt 90 at Dryden, Texas. Walked into small post office / visitor info place …. lady asked where we were from, I told her Va. but that I was born in San Antonio and started growing up in Del Rio. Long story short, she knew my mom & Dad, even shared same baby sitter in Del Rio back in the early '50s. When we left, I called Mom in Va. and told he …. she knew just exactly who I was talking about.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Got a good one for ya -

Back in the '80's I was working for a company that did ultrasonic testing of oil pipelines from the inside, In '89 we were invited by Royal Dutch Shell to run our testing equipment thru their test loop in Amsterdam.

Boss managed to book us a rather roundabout flight there, Denver to Dallas, to Newark NJ, to London Heathrow, take the bus to Gatwick, then to Amsterdam.

On the London-to-Amsterdam leg I found myself seated to a pretty young lady and struck up a conversation. It was immediately clear she wasn't European, "Where are you from?" "Michigan", she said. I said I was originally from Michigan but moved to Colorado in '81. "What Part of Michigan?"..... She asked what caused me to leave Michigan for Colorado. "The Automobile Industry 'Crash' of 1980" (remember the big Chrysler bail-out of 1980?) I had been laid off by Chrysler Corp and the economy was so bad in Michigan I left a year later. "What did you do for Chrysler?" she asked. I worked in the "Impact Lab" installing instrumentation and sensors in cars so we could crash-test them. "Oh, Really? My Fiancee used to work there, too!" she said. "Who's your fiancee?", I asked.

Here we are, Many thousands of feet in the air, Many thousands of miles from home, In Europe somewhere between London and Amsterdam, when she told me her fiancee's name I almost fell out of the plane!

Her Fiancee Daniel worked the same shift, in the same department, doing the same job, we were laid off the same day, Dan and I used to play Euchre during lunch break, Dan did a nice job repainting my '71 Impala. When I told this young lady that I had dated her future Sister-in-Law Bethany for a year She almost fell out of the plane!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have never had any encounters quite as bizarre as that one but being a Vietnam Vet I am always running into guys that were in country not only at the same time but also at the the same town or village I was at. It is amazing that even though you can have two US GI's in the same small village at the same time that they do not remember each other. Two different units with different jobs and things just don't connect. Then 45 years later you meet up. I have run into two guys from my unit, I recognized one of them but in both cases they recognized me. You know how embarrassing it is when someone calls you by name and says "It has been 45 years! You look great!" and you have no clue who it is?:stumped::stumped::stumped:

·
Administrator
24,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a good one for ya -

Back in the '80's I was working for a company that did ultrasonic testing of oil pipelines from the inside!
I don't suppose you knew a guy named Rick Owens from Arkansas that did that in the 80s?

·
Registered
592 Posts
After 10 yrs with that company we covered a lot of ground, All over the US and Mexico - travels took me thru 15 of the 22 states in Mexico - and four trips to Prudhoe Bay Alaska and a few jobs in Canada. The trip to Amsterdam and a couple jobs in the Persian Gulf.

But we never worked in Arkansas, passed thru there on our way to Alabama though.

Can't say I've ever met Rick.....

·
Administrator
24,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 10 yrs with that company we covered a lot of ground, All over the US and Mexico - travels took me thru 15 of the 22 states in Mexico - and four trips to Prudhoe Bay Alaska and a few jobs in Canada. The trip to Amsterdam and a couple jobs in the Persian Gulf.

But we never worked in Arkansas, passed thru there on our way to Alabama though.

Can't say I've ever met Rick.....
Didn't say he worked in Arkansas, he worked all over the country.
He traveled with his wife in a truck and travel trailer.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The company I work for hired a retired guy last year and we were talking about motorcycle racing around Arlington Texas and I mentioned my friend Pete,he said I did dirt biking with a guy named Pete from Arlington,I told him his last name and he said I live next to him.Pete and I raced a lot and hung out with dirt bike riders and this guy was one of the riders but I dint recall him,I called Pete’s ex wife and told her I was with someone she might know,(his wife cleaned her and Pete’s house),put him on the phone and they had a short visit.small world,time frame was late 60s

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Interesting!.
The closest experience I have is : I was in my way to Europe and was sitting next to an ugly young lady. I found out that her grandfather and my grandfather were two old men.
Then the boat began taking water and I never saw her again.
:ROFL:

·
Administrator
24,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had another one once. Was leaving Dallas, at the airport and a friend of mine just had gotten off a plane there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts