Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I have just put up the first 5 SmartLight 'Traveler' series units on eBay. Here is the the current listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120467308809

These are designed to fit ANY bike or vehicle including yours.

You can also use them on snowmobiles, cars, boats, you name it. ANY 12v system that gets charged can use it.

I can offer these at a much less expensive price because I don't supply as many cables and the packaging can be smaller. Same high quality stuff here so if you were waiting for something for your model bike or the price to get cheaper, here you go.

Anyone installing these on a bike that wants to upgrade later as future models become available for their bikes will be able to get full credit (less shipping) toward the newer product by returning the original SmartModule for credit when ordering.

You can also download the manual for this product on RudysBackayrd from the link at the bottom of my sig, if you would like more information (or you can just ask too).

The original SmartLight, now called 'Gearhead' series for the 1500 is listed there as well. You can see it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120461448458

As usual, feedback is appreciated.
Ride safe guys and gals.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,501 Posts
imported post

Good to see you at the commercial point of your new endeavor Rudy. Wish you the best with it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Good to see you at the commercial point of your new endeavor Rudy. Wish you the best with it.
Thanks John. I think I actually have to have sales and make money before we can classify it as 'commercial' but that is the direction I'd like to see it go eventually. 'Hobby' would be the better classification up to this point.

With what I have invested in this so far, it will be a real long time before this breaks even, if ever. It's a good thing that I believe the product is important or I would have let it go a good bit of investment back and kept the money.

I think it's going to take a lot more than these few first releases but I guess one has to start someplace. :waving:

Now where did I leave that grindstone? :dude:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Best of luck Rudy. For sure it is an excellent product.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if and when i get up there---i hope to pick one up for my 83 1100. so set one back for me---ok?
nice adds on flea bay. good luck with them .

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

SmartLight 'Traveler' series

Rudy, count me in for one or two if it will work on my Valkyrie as well. How about my Victory Kingpin?

Thanks and good luck!

Dave

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Bikefix wrote:
SmartLight 'Traveler' series

Rudy, count me in for one or two if it will work on my Valkyrie as well. How about my Victory Kingpin?

Thanks and good luck!

Dave
Dave,

It will work on any bike that has a battery and an aux power source or running lights.
The hardest part is finding where best to mount the LED on some of the bikes.
I mounted one on my GL1000 and mounted the LED to the side of the choke bracket with tie-wraps. Worked good but I had to extend the LED wires about a foot to do it.
Works good there and doesn't take away from the nekkid look at all.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
if and when i get up there---i hope to pick one up for my 83 1100. so set one back for me---ok?
nice adds on flea bay. good luck with them .
Thanks Wayne, I should have one when you are ready for it.
At least I usually have stock.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Thats a good listing, Rudy. Sells it nicely... soon as I have the dough, I will get one for the BumbleWee...

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

UBarW wrote:
Thats a good listing, Rudy. Sells it nicely... soon as I have the dough, I will get one for the BumbleWee...
I understand the dough part. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Rudy, don't forget to patent the design so no one can pirate it and go commercial with it before you do. Trademark the names also.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Rudy, don't forget to patent the design so no one can pirate it and go commercial with it before you do. Trademark the names also.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Sold me on one for my new baby, just from reading your E-Bay ad.....So just as soon as I get the "Necessary" things, like tires....:cheeky1:....and front forks seals, I'll be looking at buying one for it....No use having it die on me out in the boonies.....BTW Baggy is right patent it and the name....That way the cheap ripoffs can't rip you off...Next I would try to get into some of the "after market" bike supply houses, bike dealers, etc, with it and see if they will add it to their line up of accessories...Worth a try....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I just bought one , I will let you all know how it performs over the coming weeks ..

Rudy needs all the help he can get on this ,so make sure you buy one for you bike , Ciaran

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Best of luck Rudy. For sure it is an excellent product.
Thanks Bob,

Bob has had one of the 'Gearhead' units since early on. He got his installed and then gave it the Bob version of the double crash test. It passed without noticing the event.
Since then he has it running on his trike while in repair, waiting for the day he can roll again.

Bob has been a great supporter as have many others. I'm grateful for that.

Wexy thanks for posting this as a sticky. Saves a lot of hunting. Now, just what I need, wexy as a critic. This should be fun. :cooldevil:

This is one of those deals where any margin I get from the sales of the products so far is lost in the manufacturing costs, particularly labor time, and the selling, listing and payment fees. There are ways to reduce the manufacturing costs but not until the things take off with enough sales because the labor savings require tooling to get that labor out of it. And tooling costs money (what doesn't?).

So it's kind of a catch-22 in a way. Until that happens there won't be enough margin to afford to retail it through some of our popular retailers. They would need a share of it too.

In the mean time, I will build them for 'us' and see where it goes beyond that.

For those supporting it, I sincerely appreciate it. In exchange I try to give you something you will find of value and bring comfort when riding your bikes. But to be fair, I must say that I do enjoy making these products, no matter the margin.

They don't keep the wolves from the door but when I'm busy making these products, I don't have to pay so much attention to the scratching. :dude: Some of you know what I mean.

Ride safe everyone. :waving:

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Rudy,
Not that this would be news to anyone but, I absolutely love the traveler! The panel stays are fantastic also. Thanks for the fast shipping. PS: I am going to boast about you below! Look away. :action:

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

The "Traveler" is a fantastic new product. The instructions are clear and concise. Everything is included to make the installation easy and fast. You can use the supplied LED or add your own. You are not stuck with some engineer's (no offense Rudy) idea of a nice mount. :shock:

I also purchased the "Fender Keeper Panel Restraints." Yet another great product! I have been worried I was going to lose one of my side panels ever since I first started my build. Especially after hearing how many of my fellow riders have lost theirs.

Both products are perfect for everyone. The pro will appreciate the flexibility and the fact that you you are not tied to a particular mount or, bulky bracket. The novice will really appreciate the instructions. Everyone will appreciate what each product does!

No... Rudy has not paid me for this.

I PM'ed my paypal address Rudy! LOL :cooldevil:

Thanks for making my bike better Rudy!

Chris Bradley :action:

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
This is is one of those deals where any margin I get from the sales of the products so far is lost in the manufacturing costs, particularly labor time, and the selling, listing and payment fees. There are ways to reduce the manufacturing costs but not until the things take off with enough sales because the labor savings require tooling to get that labor out of it. And tooling costs money (what doesn't?).
So it's kind of a catch-22 in a way. Until that happens there won't be enough margin to afford to retail it through some of our popular retailers. They would need a share of it too.
In the mean time, I will build them for 'us' and see where it goes beyond that.
For those supporting it, I sincerely appreciate it. In exchange I try to give you something you will find of value and bring comfort when riding your bikes. But to be fair, I must say that I do enjoy making these products, no matter the margin.
They don't keep the wolves from the door but when I'm busy making these products, I don't have to pay so much attention to the scratching. :dude: Some of you know what I mean.
Ride safe everyone. :waving:

Rudy you need to patent the name and idea. A friend of mine inventeda device for Harleys about 15 yrs ago. It was a breaker point plate thatreplaced the stock one but this had timing marks and was adjustable. You could use a timing light to time the machine in two minutesinsteadof twenty to fourtyminutes.He got a patent for it, then personallytook it to Harley Davidson headquarters to see if they were interested in producing itor buying the patent. The head honcho checked it out and told him "I wish we had come up with this one!"
Hearing that, he didn't want to sell it (they didn't want to buy anyway) but he did hook up with a companywho wanted to use him. They provided all the tooling, production, packaging and sales and now thedevice is part of their product line in a nice blister pack. Quality control and major decisions is controlled by him.Now hestays home and cashes the royalty checks which get larger every six months!

Ya never know............:)

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
imported post

After you have this patented and protected, give me a shout. I may have an in with Drag Specialties. No promises, but I can definitely bring it to somebody's attention. Drop a note to my username at charter.net

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Thanks Mike.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
imported post

I just gotta say that Rudy is the man.
Bought a Smartlight system from him and the service and assistance has been fantastic.
Looks like a great product too. Once the snow disappears I'll be trying it out.

Thanks Rudy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.