Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:stumped:

I just went through the cooling system of my gl1100. I did all the o-rings in that front case by the water pump, the bearings felt solid, no vanes broken on the pump. I find no leaks by the hoses.

After riding for an hour or two in 80 degree weather, I find no drips or puddles after I shut 'er off. I cant judge from the guage if its running hot, as I have a short in the line that powers the gas guage and temp guage. But, as I ride, I smell hot coolant. I cannot tell where it is. The over flow tank doesnt show big movements of level, either.

I am working on the short in the wiring, but till then, does anyone have any bright ideas on where I could look for the source of the smell? I plan on changing the thermostat just in case, as well as any gaskets or o-rings.

Thanks in advance...

:baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Check the weep hole on the pump housing with your finger. There are several places on top of the engine that can leak. It doesn't take more than a little seep to emit the coolant smell and engine heat can easily dry out the water to you won't always see a leak. Usually not much more than a coolant stained area.If any coolant at all spilled when you refilled the system it's likely it will smell for awhile. I'd wait and see if the smell goes away while checking the expansion bottle often to make sure there isn't a coolant loss.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I did manage to do a bit of splashin' about when I did the work, so your point about burnin' it off is likely valid. I have done about 500 miles since, so I would hope that it would end soon.

Another thing... The fan comes on with the ignition switch, and never seems to shut off. I dont remember it doing this when I got 'er. Wonder if that is right.

Thanks exavid...

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

The fan should only come on when the engine gets hot you may have a short in the wiring going to the fan did you by chance bump any of the coolant tube on top of the engine you might have a small leak up there that would burn off as the engineheats up

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

It shouldn't take 500 miles for spills to dry off. 20 miles would do this. I had a similar problem once and it was the crossover pipes that run across the top of the engine. The end of one of the pipes was corroded and wouldn't seal properly.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The crossover pipe can cause this problem, as well as a head gasket or a crack in the head between the cylinders, but, the most common problem I've seen for this coolant smell is the overflow reservoir tankspringing a leak or developing a bad grommet at the hose.

Vic

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I had that good ole familar coolant smell myself, turned out to be a bad radiator cap, might be something else to check out, Hammer

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

If you suspect the rad captake itoff and bring it to most any service station and they can check it for you if you don't see anything visibly wrong with it. The rubber seal can look fine but there may be a leak in another part of the cap.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
If you suspect the rad captake itoff and bring it to most any service station and they can check it for you if you don't see anything visibly wrong with it. The rubber seal can look fine but there may be a leak in another part of the cap.

Vic
Around here the only thing you can get in a service station is beer, pop, gas and if you're lucky access to a restroom. It also helps if you speak Farsi or Urdo. Check a radiator cap? Good Luck.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

We have some of those self service stations up here also Paul, but, what I was talking about was a true automobile service station that actually washes windows during your fill up. Still a few left around here, but, they are thinning daily.

There are also cooling system specialty shops in the phone book that one may call on to have a rad cap tested.

Vic

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

P.S. Forgot to mention that you can't get beer at any of the service stations over here. I guess we're not as advanced as you Southern folks are, but, there seems to be a coffee shop on every corner selling a drink called Tim Horton's. LOL

Vic

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Ubarw,

I just replaced my cap. I got it from NAPA around $10. I used the part number from Steve's page. Good luck with the search.

GL1100 Radiator Cap. The Stant 10229 does the job at substantially less cash than the Honda one.

Billy

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
The crossover pipe can cause this problem, as well as a head gasket or a crack in the head between the cylinders, but, the most common problem I've seen for this coolant smell is the overflow reservoir tankspringing a leak or developing a bad grommet at the hose.

Vic
I found a drip underneath one side of the crossover today. I suppose that its time to change out those o-rings. I will probably change the cap, too. Cheap insurance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.