Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I hope this is the correct forum for this.

I have parked my bike in my shed for the last 4 or 5 years and have never had a problem like this. The second to last time I parked, I went out to look for something in the shed and as I approched the door's I smelled gas (Tanygear, that means petrol)fumes. I went inside and the fumes were very strong. As I said, this has never happened before. I thought maybe I had over filled the tank, but not so. I even took it out and ran about a half tank out of it. Came back and parked it, stillthere. It isn't from the heat, because it is under 5o degree' here. Besides, it didn't do it when it was almost 100 degrees.

I can't see any evidence of it leaking as the floor is still dry. The smell is as if there were a five gallon bucken with no lid on it filled with gas (Tanygear, that's petrol to you). I am afraid to fire up my kersone heater the smell is so bad.

Any and ALL help or suggestions on this will be greatly appreciated.

Jay

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Somewhere under the tupperware you have a gas leak, it is small enough not to drip to the floor but just the same it is a leak. Small enough it is evaporating and creating fumes, but not enough to actually run down and drip. Fuel pump has a check valve in it and holds pressure to the carbs, check that line first, then the two lines to the carbs. Tis a leak somewhere.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

could the petcock be leaking?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Check your oil for gas..now!..it could be leaking into your cylinders and fumes up thought the air filter..IE bad float needles..

To check for external leaks, spray a little baby power, corn starch, etc. around the system if it gets wet..follow it to your leak. Or paper towels, toilet paper wrap the system and see what shows up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well crap guys! I thought you woud all come back with something easy. I was afraid of the leak part, but was thinking in that direction. I can't check it now, but will do so in a bit. I suppose there is a lot of work in tearing this thing apart looking for the leak?

Guys, thank you for helping me out.
Jay

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

For a parked GL1500, I would venture to say you keep the tank filled to the brim.

I can only figure two possibilities:

1) The o-ring on the side of the tank is leaking. I had to replace mine. If it is leaking, you could drain about 1 gallon for now until you get time to replace it.

2) If it is totally full, it can have a syphoning effect until the fuel tank level gets below the carb fuel bowls. If the floats are leaking, gas will be in the cylinders and oil. But, the smell would be more contained. There could be a leak low in the fuel line by the carbs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK GUYS!!! I found it!!! Not a happy ending as of yet. Well it seems that I had installed a steal plate just under the gas tank on the drivers side (Tanygear, that's the left side if you're on the bike) to mount an aux fuse block. Well it seems that one of the corners has somehow punched a hole in the tank. Meanwhile, the fuseblock is toast. Fried to a crisp. It just has my aux lights on it but I'm really lucky I didn't cause a short and burn the thing up. Of course since I don't do much night riding, I didn't really notice that I didn't have any aux lights.

Ok, my question is this...Should I attemp to wield it while on the bike? I was thinking about braizing it, but I didn't want to get the gas too hot and boil over. I don't think weilding it should cause that problem. Anyone willing to come help me with this???

Ok, what kind of feedback am I going to get from that last question???

Ok guys, I'm off to the parts store to find some patch material. Thanks for all the help. I am glad it was only this as opposed to something more difficult. At least I have patched gas tanks before. I hope this one will be simple to do. Of course I will have to install another fuseblock and find a different location for it.
Jay

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you absolutley CANNOT weld or braze with fuel or fumes in the tank, it must be removed drained and then cleaned first so there is no gasoline inside

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

all the above.. ABOVE ALL NO HEAT!!

.. but I have been successful sometimes (on old cars) of making temporary repairs with a rubber washer (or small oring)and a metal screw right into the hole.. not elegant, but can work for now.. also, there are some fuel resistant epoxies that you could use to seal with the same screw method (or perhaps without)..

Good luck.. and take from someone who has "blown-up" a gas tank (and was lucky) by trying to braze on it.. DON'T TRY IT.... (there are professionals that can, but this isnot for untrained or inexperienced.)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

ive repaired a few auto fuel tanks with good results, the last one i did was on my trike, dont know what the brand name is over in the states, but here its called metal putty,from any auto stores, it comes on a small roll, all you do is cut a piece off and roll it up in your hand and stick it on the hole, leave it too set and your done, its a quick clean temporary sollution with no mess till you can get the tank off and do it proper

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

If it is a small hole you can use JB weld and a coin. i.e small hole put some JB Weld on a dime tape it over the hole untill the JB weld cures and you have some BLING BLING to cover and renforce the hole.

A big hole mightadd a half dollar to the price of the repair.:cheeky1:

Regards

Garry

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Ditto on the JB weld... you can get a stick of JB Weld gas tank repair at auto parts stores. Just cut off enough to patch it, knead it until it's an even gray color and press it onto the hole. You don't even need to drain the tank.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Yep, I thought you guys would like the idea of me wielding it. My dad was a wielder when he was alive and used to wield gas tanks.

Anyway, I put it in there as a joke to see what the response would be. I JB-ed it. Hopefully it will take hold and set up properly. It is supposed to nice around here this weekend and I would like to take it out. It's out in the shed drying as we speak. I have a small bunsun burner under it now trying to keep it warm enough to set up.

Thank you ALL for all the suggestions you gave me. I'm glad that it was this simple as I have a tendacy to not know my way around bikes very well. It's good to be able to come in here and have all this knowledge to draw from. Can't thank you guys enough for all the help.

Jay

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.