Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, THANK YOU. for any and all suggestions.
Now. I have a 1991 GL 1500 SE Goldwing. When I bought it in 2017, it had 42,243 miles on it. NOW, it has 56,688 miles on it. I live in Denver, CO. so 5280 ft above sea level.
When I start the bike, there is a very little white smoke, it does start fairly quick. However, After it starts and I let it idle and warm up, there is a heavy smell of unburnt gas around the bike. Even after riding for a while, idling at a stop light, there is again, the smell of gas.
I have read the other threads about "running rich", and it seems like my bike is not that bad. I usually get 32-33 miles per gallon per tank.
I honestly have NO IDEA of where to look first to try to get rid of the "gas smell".
ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Merlin

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
You are talking about the smell of raw gas not rich exhaust, is that right? I'm assuming there is no external fuel leaks that you are aware of? Does the bike have California Emissions? If you leave the fuel door unlocked and the next time it is idling and you smell the fuel open the door and see if the smell is really heavy in that area. There are two areas under the fuel door that come to mind. One is the gas cap and the other is yje auto petcock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are talking about the smell of raw gas not rich exhaust, is that right? I'm assuming there is no external fuel leaks that you are aware of? Does the bike have California Emissions? If you leave the fuel door unlocked and the next time it is idling and you smell the fuel open the door and see if the smell is really heavy in that area. There are two areas under the fuel door that come to mind. One is the gas cap and the other is yje auto petcock.
Thank you, I will try that. and I will see if the smell is from the rear of the bike or the the two places you are suggesting. I can see how both may lead to that. I should have also said there is no dripping fluids from the bike after it sits for a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be two different issues - is it smoke or steam? Smoke is bluish, steam (from a blown head gasket) is white and sweet smelling, like coolant.
Thank you for clarifying. it is not pure white as in steam. it is bluish, as in smoke. and it does NOT last that long, maybe about 5-7 seconds. it is more pronounced on colder days.

·
It aint rocket science
3,886 Posts
A leak at the fuel petcock or float bowl gasket will cause a gas smell and visually not dripping fuel is not a valid reason to rule them out until the plastic is off and further closer inspection done.

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
As JD said leaking gas will not have to drip on the ground. A small leak, like a fuel bowl gasket, can drip on the hot engine and evaporate. The GL1500 has a reputation of some shrunk up fuel bowl gaskets. I hate taking off plastuc so that is why I suggested easy things first. You might end up just as JD suggests but I would check as much as I can without removing plastic first. Usually you can spot a leaking fuel bowl gasket by just removing the air box. You almost have to remove plastic and carbs to replace the,. The bike is 21 years old. That is pretty long for any gasket to last,.

·
Administrator
58,946 Posts
Thank you for clarifying. it is not pure white as in steam. it is bluish, as in smoke. and it does NOT last that long, maybe about 5-7 seconds. it is more pronounced on colder days.
my '94SE if left on the sidestand overnight, would have the little puff of smoke for about 150 feet or so.... then it cleared up.

I usually put all of my bikes up on the center stand, and that stopped the puff of smoke

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
As JD said leaking gas will not have to drip on the ground. A small leak, like a fuel bowl gasket, can drip on the hot engine and evaporate. The GL1500 has a reputation of some shrunk up fuel bowl gaskets. I hate taking off plastuc so that is why I suggested easy things first. You might end up just as JD suggests but I would check as much as I can without removing plastic first. Usually you can spot a leaking fuel bowl gasket by just removing the air box. You almost have to remove plastic and carbs to replace the,. The bike is 21 years old. That is pretty long for any gasket to last,.
I believe a 1991 might be 29 (not 21) years old.....lol..!

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Ohedron42, If you park the bike on the side stand, a little bluish smoke is not uncommon at startup. Especially if you have shut the bike off then start it a few minutes later.

Example: Pull up to the garage, stop the bike, let it sit a few minutes, then start it up again.

Check the input/outpur hose to the fuel filter and the input/output hoses to the auto fuel shutoff valve. Also the gasket of the shutoff valve...!

Both under the fuel filler door....!!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
What type of maintenence has been done so far as you know? Air filter (sometimes mice build their nest on top) spark plugs? Check tips of plugs for signs of steam cleaning. Also, there are 2 plastic hoses under side covers on left hand side of bike as you sit on it. Each hose should have a black cap on it, with a metal retainer. Take caps off of hoses and allow them to drain. Careful,...what comes out will stain what ever it touches.
gumbyred

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A leak at the fuel petcock or float bowl gasket will cause a gas smell and visually not dripping fuel is not a valid reason to rule them out until the plastic is off and further closer inspection done.
Thank you, I am guessing, to get to see the Float bowls, one would need to take about 80% of the plastics off. I will have to check that. I was reminded last night, I did rebuild the petcock about a year ago. but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be checked. I will double check it and check the float bowls.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts