Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:leprechaun:Hi everyone. As many of you know I picked up a 83 Aspencade for $100.00 and have been playing with it for a month or so now. I now have memory for the clock and CB but the radio is still giving me a fit. Works sometime, but most of the time it's silent.

I also am not pleased with the way it's running off of idle.I rebuilt the carbs but I think they're stilloff a little.

I've had the bike sittingon it's side stand for about 4 or 5 days now. I started it up and white smoke came pouring out of the the left exhaust. This is the first time it smoked that bad. After a while it cleared up but not before the front of the house could not be seen. I spoke to a friend of mine who owned my GL standard before me and he said he heard that if the bike if left on the side stand, oil will drain into the cylinders and cause the problem. Does this sound true? It seems to make sense since most of the time I keep the bike on it's center stand and it smokes just a little black smoke then settles down. It's only has 55k of the speedo.

On a side note. I went riding with some new friends and one of them told me that when he first bought his Goldwing, he was so scared to move it, he called AAA to push it into his garage. It seems the largest bike he had ever ridden was a Honda 350. When he finally got the nerve to ride it, he was so scared to go around a corner, since he could not see the front wheel, he would stop and walk the bike around the corner. He's a good rider now, but I think I would have died laughing if I had seen him walking his bike around the corner.

Happy Saint Particks Day

Jerry:leprechaun:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hi Jerry I think that smoke might be normal, especially if someone has overfilled the crankcase with oil and the bike sits on the centerstand for a while. It really concerned me when it first happened, but, now I just live with it as an occasional occurence.

Sure sounds like your friend is very intimidated by a big bike, he's the type that should definately go for driving lessons on a motorcycle, even if he is expreienced.

Tell him to get in touch with a local G.W.R.R.A. chapter and ask about their driver training courses for Gold Wing owners.

Vic

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Jerryk wrote:
:leprechaun:
I've had the bike sittingon it's side stand for about 4 or 5 days now. I started it up and white smoke came pouring out of the the left exhaust. This is the first time it smoked that bad. After a while it cleared up but not before the front of the house could not be seen.

Jerry, pure WHITE SMOKE usually means H2o (water) in the combustion process.. Bluish or bluish/white smoke can mean oil burning.

Is the fluid level dropping in the radiator or coolant bottle? If so, suspect a head gasket or other coolant leak into the engine cylinder area.

--You might want to pull the spark plugs & look for signs of water or oil on the plugs..

--Or warm the engine & then park on the side stand for a day or two,, then remove the spark plugs & crank the engine over & see what spits out the open spark plug holes (water or oil?)

A side note here: with that rough running & smoke appearing, maybe you have water (condensation) in the fuel tank & when it's placed on the side stand the water is running into the petcock & then into the carbs..

JDC

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Jerryk wrote:
:leprechaun:but the radio is still giving me a fit. Works sometime, but most of the time it's silent.

I also am not pleased with the way it's running off of idle.I rebuilt the carbs but I think they're stilloff a little.
Jerry try pulling the radio out and cleaning up the contacts on the back and then bend then out just a bit so the make better contact
as for the carbs did you sync them after the rebuild

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

As for the carbs, yes I did snyc them after the rebuild. What I didn't do is adjust the valves 1st. I just need to either take it to a mechanic I know, or play with it myself. The one nice thing about having two Goldwings is I can still ride, even if one is laid up. As for the radio, I took the whole thing apart at the receiver, and cleaned all the contacts. I also disconnected the main fairing plug, cleaned it and put the special grease for electrical. I guess what is stumping me is why the clock works, but the radio doesn't. I would think they would be running on the same wiring harness.

Someone mention the ignition switch but that only has one wire that feed the radio and CB based on the pictures. I suspect thereis a loose connection inside the fairing, most likely on the right side and I need to trace it down. I need to do more wiggle testing. For those who don't know, you just wiggle wires till something happens, then you trace it from there.

I really love this forum. Everyone tries to help each other. It saves all of us a lot of money too.

Thanks again.

Jerry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think JDC is right, the amount and color of the smoke you describe doesn't sound like a little oil in a cylinder from valve stem seals. Sounds like a blown head gasket, hopefully. I'd definitely check the plugs to look for water problems, also take a good look at the coolant level. My previous bike would smoke on occasion when left for a few days on the kickstand, but it wasn't nearly that much smoke and it was definitely blue, not white. White almost always means steam, and that can only come from coolant getting into things.

:waving:

Edited to correct a type to keep REDWING happy!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Edited to correct a type to keep REDWING happy!

Hey exavid :waving: Thats ok but let it happen again. :whip:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

Side parking a Wing can also foul a spark plug on the left side. That happened to me when I got my 83 Aspencade a while back.

Also, when starting up the bike after it has been sitting in the cole, it will want to burn off condensation in the exhaust system. Hence the white smoke sometimes.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

My 1200 developed a very similar problem with the white smoke routine from the left side which as some other members have said turned out to be a tiny split in the head gasket. Even quite large amounts of blue smoke are quite normal though for higher milage four cylinders wings, especially with overfilled oil levels. The oil tracks back up the valve stems into the left hand combustion chambers, it should definately clear after about 5-10 seconds of running.

The radio problem may be a broken live feed, if the radio has been badly fitted it can get trapped and broken where it bends back up behind the dash, I've seen this on a couple of my friends bikes. Good luck, Bob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.