Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is winter here in Wisconsin. Moved this fall so the the bike did not really get a proper end of season once over. Today, I finally pulled the battery as the battery bug kept beeping that it was going down. My wife said she would remove it herself if I did not take care of it. Anyways, while removing it and trying not to remove the Road Sofa at the same time, I dropped the wrench across the positive terminal and the frame. After the first spark, the now hot wrench melted a little of the positive terminal. Not neough to be a problem. On the negative side though, I saw smoke coming off the by the negative connection for the battery. I did hook the battery up and got it started. Anything I should check for first thing in the spring that maybe shorted or damaged?

Thanks

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
You've got a bad connection on the negative post, clean it up.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I doubt you did any damage. The negative wire smoked because you just drew about 200 amps or more. Still clean up the connections, which should be done annually anyway.

Oh.. and next time you try to disconnect a battery ALWAYS remove the ground terminal first!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Yep, you might want to check that negative connection. With a total short across the battery there's more than enough to weld it to the bolt or burn the joint between the metal lug and the battery cable wire. Not to mention there could be warped plates in the battery due to the heating from the high current.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.