Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have smoke coming from my exhaust, I took the plugs out one by one and found that the smoke was coming from piston 4. It is not a sweet smell, and the smoke is not black, and it does not seem like steam,I do not know if I am burning gas, oil, or coolant, does that mean I have a busted head gasket ? Is there anyway to know for sure? also, Is there anything else that can cause this problem on a bike. I know in a car I would just pull the heads and replace the gasket. Is that the same thing I need to do here?

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Is the plug oily? Does the smoke smell like burning oil? Does it clear up after a mile or two? If it does, it may just be the hardened valve stem seals issue that affects old Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Might have sucked a valve or needed to change seals. These are old bikes.
On the other hand, don't check the highbeam oil level. Because you have to change the headlight if that's low.

·
killer driller
781 Posts
gw1200 when asking advise on this or any other forum, it is always best to check your thread and then give these guys a chance to trouble shoot your problem,chanes are they will save you time and money,there are some very knowledgable people on here,just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
smoke?

I have a similar problem with my '86 GL1200A except it's on #1 cyl. The head gasket is good, the head is not cracked, and the cylinder looks good, but I'm STILL getting water in there.
If your plug is not oily, it almost has to be water. How clean was the cylinder and the inside of the head? If its water it will look brand new.
My next step is radiator stop-leak. If that doesn't work I guess the next step is a new block. NO matter what I'm keeping this one.
I have 54,000 on her and this is the motorcycle I have always wanted.
I will post what happens with mine.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Followup question to gaswing. I have a similar problem on my 82 GL1100A, which goes away in a few minutes. Most likely cylinder 3, may be number 4 as well. How involved is replacing the valvestem seals? I've done loads on this bike so far, just deliberately neglected to pull the valve covers, although I'm not adverse to it if its required. Engne runs like a 30-year old top once its warmed up.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Sam of YT, I would strongly recomend you NOT put any leakstop in your cooling system. it will create more new problems as it stops up the very small water ports that need to be open in the heads. also that stuff has a habbit of settling in the bottom of a radiator, and it would possibly damage your waterpump

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the absolute highest quality and most recommended "Aluma-seal" stop leak that I could find and carefully measured in the proper amount.
The leak has stopped and there are no heating issues. I will continue to monitor the situation and let everyone know how this works out. As it stands now, so far, so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.