Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came aboard this forum (3/24). Still a noob and a rookie when it comes to GW's. Several weeks ago I ran across a 75 GL1000, but found out the motor was not original. Had a 77 engine in the frame so I walk away from that one. Now I'm checking out a 1977 GL1000. I've not seen the bike in person but the owner did email me a pic. Looks to be in good shape and and the first thing that caught my I was the bike still had the original pipes:) that are solid the owner says. Has a fairing, trunk, no side bags and some type king/queen seat. The red paint still looks to be in good condition. The owner says he is the 3rd owner and the bike has been garaged kept most of its life as far as he knows and the bike runs good and has never given him any trouble. I know if GW's have been serviced and took care of mileage is really nothing to worry about. These motors can go 100k plus with no trouble right? This bike as not been parked it's been rode, 78K on the clock, but thats only between 2100-2200K a year over the past 36 years if my math is right. Hope to be able to go see the bike here before long. Input and opinions please!! I guess what I'm asking is should I look for one with less miles on the clock.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Maintenance records would be the only thing I would be concerned with.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
If it starts and idles thats a very good sign . You might ask about the age of timing belts . This model GL has a points type ingnition unless it has been upgraded to an electronic version ( after market ) . If the factory Anteres Red is not faded out I think that confirms its a garage kept bike . I think the king/queen seat was added to very many of these bikes and the stock seat may be hard to find in good condition . The miles are of little concern on this engine if oil/ filter changes have been done on schedule .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the best pic, but this is the 1977 GL1000. Talked to the owner yesterday and he said he was out riding it and it cut off on him. It would start back up but would want to cut off when giving it throttle. Carb/fuel problems from letting it sit to long and not riding it I would think. Owner said bikes as never done that before.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
That does look good! Mileage is fine. For a good price, I'd buy it. Intermittent cutouts can be a negotiating point, but not necessarily a big electrical problem.

·
1,819 Posts
From a quick look , i can tell you that the front fender , the front blinkers , the shock absorbers , the handlebar and (as you mentioned) , the seat is not OEM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the best pic, but this is the 1977 GL1000. Talked to the owner yesterday and he said he was out riding it and it cut off on him. It would start back up but would want to cut off when giving it throttle. Carb/fuel problems from letting it sit to long and not riding it I would think. Owner said bikes as never done that before.
Has the tank and side covers been repainted on this bike?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
There's two ways of looking at that bike.
A lot has been changed on it.
Lots of added chrome; belt and valve covers, motor brackets, handlebar bracket, probably more. I can't see the pic as I type this.
Carb intakes and tops look polished.
Horns
Vetter WJ III is painted and striped the same as the fender, radiator shroud, tank and side covers. I'd say all done at the same time.
Mirrors
Front fender is a lowbrow.
Seat
Handlebars
Dipstick added.
Forkbrace
Air shocks
Tank badge isn't original.
Highway peg frames are kinda rare.

So, someone probably put some time and money in a refurb/rebuild and sold it for a newer ride, then this fella got it.
Wether he let it sit for any period with fuel in the bowls is anyones guess. If he's saying it is now doing something that it never did before, ...then it has probably sat for a while without being prepped to do so.

...make him pay for that mistake. You'll have to deal with it and he knows it.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
When looking at a bike that old, I only go by condition, and nothing else. If it has been modified in a way I don't like, and would not be easily reversible, I would not buy it. A bike that old will not likely have much in the way of service records, and mileage is completely irrelevant. Only in the high dollar world of collector vehicles is actual mileage and authenticity worth anything. If it starts and runs good, that is a definite plus, and makes it worth quite a bit more than one that doesn't, as it rules out a LOT of possible issues. Someone may say it "just needs the carbs cleaned" and after doing that you find the motor is junk. I would never sell an old vehicle claiming the mileage was accurate. I have 2 very old cars and the Goldwing, and if I sell any one of them, they will be sold with unknown mileage.

About 20 years ago I bought a '64 Fairlane, based on condition alone, have done a lot of work on it since (hobby car) I have rebuilt the automatic transmission, but never had the engine apart. It showed 64,000 miles when I bought it, but I suspect it has several hundred thousand miles. Engine and VIN numbers do match. I doubt the engine has ever been apart. But with a vehicle that old, there is just no way to know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.