Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I leave my interstate on the side stand and then start her up there is allways a large amount of white smoke for about 10 seconds then she fine any ideas of the cause ???

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

what does it smell like.... if it is sweet, it could be coolant

if not, it is VERY normal for these old wings do this

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

My 1200 does the same thing especially if parked on a slope leaning left. I was told that the oil slowly gets past the rings into the combusiton chamber.
One time I left the bike on the side stand in my back yard (with a pretty steep slope) for 4 days. when I started it I thought that I had blown the engine up somehow. After a short warm up, it wuit smoking.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

when i bought my 86 it had sat for a while and took 1/2 hr to clear...people thought the neyborhood was on fire...i was shocked and seller was laughing said to wait...they all do it
rode it for 10 yrs with no probs and no smoke...but they should not smoke overnight or short term downtime...valve seals need doin

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Nothing to worry about .. they all do it.. As long as yer smoke doesn't smell sweet like coolant just ride it!! [and put it on the centre stand if yer out]!!

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

I have found that if I keep my oil level at the lower mark on the view window it eliminates the smoking at start up after parking on the side stand. I also avoid parking where the ground slopes away to the left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.