Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought my first bike it happens to be a 83 GL1100 Aspencade. Smoke just billows out of the exhaust like crazy. I am a diesel mechanic, so I am not quite sure what is going on with these kind of motors. Just looking for some tips and some idea as to where to start!!! Want to get it fixed ASAP would love to go riding!!!!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

How much of the history of the bike do you know? Has it been sitting up for a while? Did it smoke before you bought it? What color is the smoke and does it have a sweet smell to it?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

What color is the smoke..

white = water vapor..leaking head gasket maybe, does it smell sweet like antifreeze

Blue/black =oil bad valve guides or rings, etc.

gray/black..gas burn smell leaking or poorly adjusted carbs..

I think I have the colors right???

Good news..it could be something simple too, these bikes tend to blow some smoke on start up as the boxer engine tends to let oil collect on the left side when left on the side stand and it burns off after a few minutes.

So what color and what does it smell like..

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

At this time of year much of the smoke upon startup can be attributed to condensation. They will also smoke because of oil seeping past the rings and seals while sitting. If you can see if you can run it (or ride) and see if the smoke clears.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I had a friend rebuilding a mid-90's Ninja. He sent the engine to a nearby shop to hone the cylinder sleeves and replace the piston rings, as the compression was down on it.

He got the engine back, put it in the bike, got the bike together enough to start it up. He filled the crankcase with oil, put the battery in it, put the key in, and started it up.

It started pouring smoke out the exhaust, blue, oil-burning smoke. He figured there was some left-over oil in the cylinders, so he revved it to burn it out and clear it up. It continued pouring out smoke. More, and more smoke.

After 30 seconds, there was a massive plume of blue smoke emanating from his back yard, which quickly enveloped his house, the neighbor's house, and a fair bit of the neighborhood. He decided something must be wrong, and shut it down.

After a few beers, forensic analysis determined that the rings on each piston had been installed upside down, so instead of scraping the cylinder walls and keeping the oil in the crankcase, it was scraping the oil into the cylinders, more or less pumping the oil out of the crankcase and into the cylinders. In 30 seconds, it had pumped 4 1/2 quarts of oil into the cylinders and burned it all. Oil was sprayed out the exhaust, all over the ground, all over the bike, oil was everywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Mine will smoke for a couple minutes until the oil gets burned off. The flat four motor tends to collect oil if it sits on the sidestand for more than a couple days.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

If they sit on side stand or have sat for awhile they will smoke when you first start them up.

If it's over full of oil it will also smoke. Unless you smell sweet smoke ( antifreeze ) & it clears up after the bike as run for a minute or two, I wouldn't worry about it. Also sometimes white/gray smoke is a rich condition at startup along with condensation.

Not knowing the history of the bike, do a search on this site and the nakedgoldwing site for lots of good info on what to check/test before you get carried away.

Have fun, unless it was really abused these are tough bikes & well made.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Has it been overfilled?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

my bike sat for 8 years before i got a hold of it and it smoked pretty bad the first 4 or 5 times i rode it, but stopped after about 2 or 3 minuits after starting. now it doesnt smoke at all unless it is left on the side stand for a few days. Maybee you just need to run it a few times. GOOD LUCK.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Mine will smoke if unridden a while. Typically, the left side smokes more.

My friend has a GL1000 that take about 4 miles to stop smoking, afterwards is fine.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Mine will smoke if unridden a while. Typically, the left side smokes more.

My friend has a GL1000 that take about 4 miles to stop smoking, afterwards is fine.
i was wondering the other day why the one side was smoking more than the other.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

typically because the bike on the side stand will load up more on one side if you have valve stem oil seal issues or something. Usually burns away quickly though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.