Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 82 Aspencade started smoking and smells like oil, a little, but mostly smells like its running rich, could this be caused by a stuck choke?

By the way, I'm new here, so hello to all

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site The Big Dog! :waving::waving:

The usual cause of smoking is tired valve stem seals. One other common cause of smoking is parking the bike on the side stand. With a horizontal engine it's easy for oil to collect in the lower cylinders while it's sitting and then give a good bit of smoke when first starting out. If you get smoke when the bike's parked on the side stand and not when the bike is parked on the center stand that's what's happening. If you get smoke for longer than a couple moments starting up it's probably valve stem seals. These can be changed without removing the cylinder heads and will normally stop any oil burning.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

FYI, as to the oil collecting due to side stand..I use a 5/8 ply wood block under the side stand keeps the bike almost vertical w/o having to use the center stand..much easier.

Actually thought about welding a pad on the side stand to raise the bike a bit ,,but haven't done it yet.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Like these guys are saying, for what little your telling us were all kind of guessing, other than it is probably NOT your choke. How's your gas mileage once your on the road? Is the bike really non-responsive? If your choke was stuck, your gas milage would suck and it would run really bad. Are you new to the bike or just new to this forum? If your new to the bike also, run it for a while and if it's still acting wierd get back on here and give us more details. I'm sure the folks on this forum can narrow down your problem and help you fix your bike.
Have a Happy Holiday Season
Rumple

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guy's. Ya, I'm new to the bike and the forum. At first it only smokes a little after start-up, but last weekend I started it up just to let it run and it started pouring out white smoke, I thought (head gasket) but I'm not loosing water or oil. It ran out of gas also, so I was hoping it just sucked up some junk, but it's still smoking out of both pipes, but not as bad as right at first. Also it runs a little rough, like it has a slight miss, but idles just fine??? I wonder if the timing belt slipped a little?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Hi and welcome to the forun. White smoke usually indicates a head gasket problem. Next time you start it and it smokes, smell it and if it smells sweet then its almost certainly coolant. My 1200 used to do it on start up and run fine all day, but if it is the headgasket then you will have to change it.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

That is my confussion Curlytops, its not loosing water or oil, but it smells really rich

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

In addition, is it possible to have both head gaskets go bad at the same time? or am I not understanding the engine the right way?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Odds of both head gaskets going at the same time are not very high. I can't help but wonder if you don't have a sticking float. I would pull the intake cover and air filter can look inside the plenum as it is running. If you see fuel in the bottom of the Intake Plenum then you have a carb problem. That plenum bottom should be clean and dry.

A sticking float will flood the low side carb (if sitting on the side stand) and the resulting smoke will be white. If it is on the center stand it will flood all the carbs. Another way to check this is to start it up then shut off the fuel petcock. If the problem goes away in 20-30 seconds then you know it is fuel related.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The odds of having both head gaskets fail at the same time are slim but it could happen. More likely would be the smoke is splitting at the crossover pipe and showing up at both pipes. Take a look at your coolant while the bike is running, if you see bubbles in the radiator neck that's a solid indication of a leaking head gasket. Another indicator is overly white and clean spark plugs, if one looks like it's been steam cleaned it probably has. A compression check might show the leak if it's a fairly large one. One other thing to check is the oil. If it looks chocolately and opaque that's an indication of coolant in the oil. It really doesn't take much of a leak to show steam in the exhaust. If the steam only shows up on the first start of the day it could be condensation but in your part of the world I'd think it was too dry for that. A small coolant leak might show up as white smoke while the muffler is cold and diminish as the pipes warm up in a dry climate.

There's nothing preventing the engine from running rich and having a leaking gasket either. Not likely the timing belt slipped, but it would be a good idea to check the cam timing, a look at the belt tension and condition would be time well spent.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Wiskerfish, yes there is fuel in the plenum, in fact there is fuel on the bottom of my air filter

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Top Poster, No bubbles in the coolant, and the oil is very dark, but I will be changing it asap

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

shut off petcock, the bike smoked right on through 2 minites, but all I smell is rich exhaust

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

See what I mean, more details is all it took to get you pointed in the correct direction. If you do end up with a bad head gasket in the future, I would hope you change both sides reguardless if only one side is bad. If one goes how long will it be before the other side goes??
Have a great day.
Rumple

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum (from Frankfort IL).:cool:

If the burning is temporary and your curious about what originally caused it, think about its previous location. Was it near water or previously washed while also on the sidestand. If so the combo of exhaust condensation along with gas in the tower could be a temp situation. If going forward you use the centerstand and the bike has had a nice long drive and the problem is no longer around, just be glad these bikes are made so well.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
Odds of both head gaskets going at the same time are not very high. I can't help but wonder if you don't have a sticking float. I would pull the intake cover and air filter can look inside the plenum as it is running. If you see fuel in the bottom of the Intake Plenum then you have a carb problem. That plenum bottom should be clean and dry.

A sticking float will flood the low side carb (if sitting on the side stand) and the resulting smoke will be white. If it is on the center stand it will flood all the carbs. Another way to check this is to start it up then shut off the fuel petcock. If the problem goes away in 20-30 seconds then you know it is fuel related.
I have a similar problem, I also thought that it was a blown head gasket but therewere no bubbles in the coolant reserve tankonce the engine warms up and all the plugs look pretty same (none is cleaner than the others). The oil level was raising so I thought the coolant was coming into it, but when I drained the oil it turned out that there was no coolant inside, however it badly smelled like gasoline. Also, a few days ago, while the engine was iddling with the bike on its side stand, suddenly some wet white smoke poured out of the left hand exhaust and it smelled like a gasoline. The smoke disappeared within a minute. I was already adviced to check the float valves on the carbs, but now I saw this about the fuel in the plenum so would like to check it on my bike. The plenum is actually the chamber under the air filter, where the clean air is collected, am I right?

Alex

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thats the way I understand it wiskerfish, I am going to assume I have a float or carb problem, makes sence, seems like my smoke and odor is caused by exess fuel not being burned, but being evaporated. Thanks for all your help.
Hope I can return your kindness someday, maybe when I figure this bike out, lol

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Something in the carbs definitely slipped or busted open. You wouldn't believe how many tiny o-rings are in there. I did the Randakk carb rebuild kit and honestly it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get it done with 71k miles.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Where can I find instructions to rebuild the carb's and the kit's?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The New Owner wrote:
The plenum is actually the chamber under the air filter, where the clean air is collected, am I right?

Alex
Yes it is actually the intake area between all the carbs. You should be able to see the intake screens. The floor plate in there should be dry. If not you have a dangerous situation developing. A single backfire and your bike could be lost to fire.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.