Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I understand this is a common symptom of worn or hardened valve stem seals. Is there any real cause for alarm if the smoking stops in a mile or so, as the engine warms and makes operating temperature ???

Also, I really appreciate the tips colum, for the info on Gates and Dayton timing belts for the 1200. Just having a devil of a time getting the European belt cross referenced to American numbers. NAPA dealers are useless in my area, so was their web site.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If the smoking stops after a few minutes or miles then you shouldn't worry about it. It's not the warm-up that stops the smoking after a while, its just that the few drops of oil that gather up in the cylinder bores overnight take a while to burn off properly.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The smoking on startup isn't just confined to the 1200 models, even the 1500s do it when they get a bit old. I wonder if the 1800 will smoke with age as well?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for for the fast reply, kind of confirms my suspicians. Love this site. :D

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

hi shooter my 86 interstate does the same thing, smokes some when first started up . i find that as long as i put her on the center stand i dont have the smokeing at all. just when on the side stand so i never put it on the side stand anymore then i have to especially when it will sit over night or longer. by the way i was raised in beaver county pa down in a small town called hookstown great place to grow up i now live in Tn have a good one hope this helps some . dave t.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem with my '84 and was wondering how many miles you have on your bike?

Thanks much

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just a little shy of 67,000 miles. I've tried the centerstand, doesn't seem to make a difference. My own fault, I should've done the seals and re-ringed when the motor was out last year for alternator and clutch. :(

Dave, Ive got a nephew somewhere in Tenn. Them Pa. Boys seem to have wandering feet. Thanks for the reply....:D

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
The smoking on startup isn't just confined to the 1200 models, even the 1500s do it when they get a bit old. I wonder if the 1800 will smoke with age as well?
Yes. It's a design issue (please note that I didn't used the word 'problem', because it really isn't).

The horizontal layout of the engine provides for less oil run off during off-time.

This is good and bad.

Bad - well, the start up puff. That's all that's really "bad" and it's hardly worth calling "bad".

The good is that there is more oil in the cylinders and accumulated in the heads at startup when it's most often not present in other engine designs.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

chornbe wrote:
The good is that there is more oil in the cylinders and accumulated in the heads at startup when it's most often not present in other engine designs.

Thats a very good point, I never thought of that before.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I purchased a new 86 Aspy in 86, and it began to smoke on start-up with just 1500 miles on it.. The dealer said it was normal for the 1200's. I thought he was crazy.. However, the more I rode and mixed with other wingers, it was apparent that the dealer was right. From 84 to 87, all the 1200's had that telltale puff on start-up.. I now have a second 86 Aspy (a little nostalgia here), and it also smokes on start-up with 27k miles on it.. It's the nature of the beast...

All gave some,, Some gave all.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Hey Renegade, you must have som intersting stories to tell from all those years on a Wing. Why not send one in to Steve so we can all read it?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I've only got twostories. One is of the time my better half and I road to Pennsylvania Dutch countrythe summer 1987.. We got lost on the way (my fault) and ended up a full 12 hours on the bike (non stop).. When we got to our destination, she got off the back seat,and wasso stiff she couldn't stand up straight until the next day. I thought it was funny as h---, but here we are 31 yrs later, and she still doesn't let me forget it. (my fault).

The other is when 12 of us biked it to Laconia N.H. for Fathers day in 1986. 5 Goldwings, 2 Ventures, 4 Harleys and one Cavalcade. One of the Harleys was a trike with straight pipes and the rule was that a bike with a CB radio always had to take the 6 position in case of a break-down... I had the 6, right behind the trike. My head was splitting from the noise of this thing, and as we were riding up the highway, the battery bounced up out of the battery box and I rode over it. We were just going too damn fast and I couldn't avoid it. I kept the bike upright while riding, but when I stopped it on the side of the road to inspect the tires, it fell over. (weak shaky knees)... I couldn't believe it. Mega embarrased... By the way, one of the other Harleys also broke down.. The voltage regulator that sits on the frame just behind the front wheel caught fire.

That's it... Enjoy the chuckles... :p

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Renegade, its a pity the Harleys weren't with you Pennsylvania Dutch country run in 1987. If you had been riding at the back then you wouldn't have got lost, all you had to do was follow the bits of the Harleys that fell off!!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The GL1200 tends to smoke more than the other Wings (and at early mileages) because of the convoluted way the hydraulic lifter work. They retain more oil than the other Wings (even the 1500) in the hydraulic chamber but the oil isn't held in too well and results in even more oil rolling down the valve stems.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've had the smoking thing on my 1986SEI but it's rare. It smokes during about one start in a 100 or so. It does seem to happen mostly when in the side stand, which is to be expected, but it did it once after sitting a couple days on the center stand. I really don't worry about it, the amount of oil lost is miniscule and it invokes fond memories of starting up Pratt and Whitney 985s on DH Beavers in Alaska. I'm running Amsoil synthetic in my bike anyone else using it?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I hardly get any smoke on my 1986 Aspy when on center or sidestand ... until last Sunday.

What a riot! Was on the sidestand for a couple of days and when started up, put on a good smoke show for a couple of minutes. Nothing bad, just had never seen it before and was surprised. Thought I'd blown something.

But once out on the road - and now whenever starting up again - no much if any smoke.

Perhaps, the GL1200 just belches once in a while to let you remember not to take it for granted.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think it's a belch, those come out of the intake :<)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.