Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:stumped:I feel like Teacher described. Every time I workon one thing something else happens. I read a post from b.pete ref: gl1000 smoking when he started it up after carb work . He started it without the air box installed and the crankcase vent hoses unhooked. He said it smoked like a bad dog, but aftre he hooked the vent hoses up it stopped smoking. I have the same problem. I started it without the air box installed and it started smoking something terrible. Gray smoke just like b.pete described. I got kinda depressed and have just let it sit for a few days. Is it logical that the vent hoses would make it smoke? I will wait for a reply before finishing the reassembly. btw, it did put out the normal little puff of smoke on startup before the carb work.. Thanks Jim

'83 1100A

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A little smoke on start up isn't at all unusuall with a horizontally configured engine, they tend to trap oil in the cylinders instead of allowing it to run down as a vertical design does. Just finish putting it all back together before running it, with various hoses off God only knows what's going on for sure. So get it back together. You didn't say why you had it apart in the first place, what did you need to correct?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Had a bad accelerator pump. Diphram ? was bad and O-ring was shot. I am definitely not a carb. person. Thanks for the come back.. Jim

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Let us know how it works.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

:clapper:Finally got up enough nerve to put everything back together today. I was really hesitant to fire it up ( I thought I had screwed something up because it was smoking so bad). Any way, i mounted the air box and hooked the crankcase vent up, mounted the air filter and hit the button. It runs almost perfect and NOT A PUFF OF SMOKE.Ain't life GRAND??????????????????????:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin: Later JIM

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Gaswing. I just can not understand theWingsmoking that bad just because the crankcase vent wasn't connected. I guess it has to do with recirculating and reburning the exhaust.. Life really is Grand......... Jim

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Old Gold wrote:
Thanks Gaswing. I just can not understand theWingsmoking that bad just because the crankcase vent wasn't connected. I guess it has to do with recirculating and reburning the exhaust.. Life really is Grand......... Jim
Looking gift horses in the mouth?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

That's really wierd that it does this. I had the same experience as you know. The smoking was not from a little oil in the cylinders it was a steadything that should have burned off quickly and stopped. I too was afraid to start it after it was all back together but I did. I ran it with the air box cover removed but the crankcase breather hooked up and no smoke.

I would like to understand how the crankcase breather system works as that is all that could cause this.

Looking at the system all I have is one line from the crankcase to a "condensing unit" in the air box and a drain. In a car you use vacuum to pull from the crankcase but I see no hook up for that. If it's internal then the breather being disconnected would allow a lot of air flow into the crankcase and maybe cause the motor to suck oil.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Put a "Patch" on it, may stop smoking!:baffled:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.