Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been running Amsoil in my 1990 for about 2 years and This spring I went to Rotella.... then in fall I tried the Delo LE from Walmart...

I think it shifts much ....much smoother.

My friend has an 1800 and in researching I see everyone has their own thoughts.

Just wanted to get updated opinions and let everyone know my results with this oil...
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Jury is still out on my 1200 LTD.

The first oil change I noticed an immediate improvement in shifting. I drove a long trip to Pa., and all was well, there and back. But for the next week or so, when I started it, it would smoke..... ALOT!!! I suspect, that there was some carbon build up from the long trip that needed to find it's way out. After a week or so however, right back to normal, no smoke on start up and shifting was ok.

Fast forward a month. Change the oil again, and head to Pa. again. Did well on the way up there, but on the way home had a hard time shifting, specially into 4th gear. Always had the most difficulty in 4th, but this time it was bad, would grind or just not go in gear at all, once it slipped back into third. Now that Im back home, all seems normal again.

I can't blame this solely on Delo however, since there were no long trips taken with another oil type. And I took the trip to Tennessee in between my Pa trips and had no ill effects on the bike from that trip. I feel it was because of the slower speeds and stop and go type driving versus highway driving.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

pretty much depends on how beat up your tranny is...i would go with a golden spectro mix if you want to go 1/2 syn..and pay for it$..but full syn will get your tranny sooner or later...id go with a little secret!...rotella or delo dino...most responsible riders change at 1,2,3,k anyway

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I switched from Mobile one to Rotela T6 and feel that I have a small improvement in shifting. Either one is better tha Dino oil.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Snowing wrote:
Delo LE from Walmart...

My friend has an 1800 and in researching I see everyone has their own thoughts.
I'm a Delo 400 user too... and I am sure that the 1800 would work just fine on it (for example ask exavid)... but if it is still under warrenty, I probably wouldn't. Why? The Delo has a little bit of Moly (only about 70ppm) and the service instructions for the GL1800 specifically say NO moly.... This wasn't the case for the 1500, 1200,1100 and 1000 , in fact the recommended Honda oils of those eras had moly in them.. much more than Delo 400 does.. The Shell Rotella is one of the favorites of the 1800 crowd because it has no moly.. but the fact is, our older wings were designed to run with that stuff.. not sure why they went molyless with the 1800

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

The rotella T5 synthetic blend 10/30 gives my 1800 noticeably better shifting than rotella T 15/40 or 10/30 or T6 synthetic, amsoil 10/30 motorcycle oil or Honda oil.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
sandigobras what grade Delo do you use
I use the Delo 400 LE 15W40 dino version....

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I use Delo 400LE 15w40 here too. Smoother shifting for sure. I will use Rotella if I cant find the Delo but I prefer the Delo.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My '01 seems to be happy with DELO for he past 20,000 miles. No noise or shifting anomalies noted.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

dino...meaining dino oil is careful precurment of a trillion piles of dinosour bones and bog gump curated into a viscus gue from a era past....discovered by planet of the apes that found it could run its piston engines....capiche?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
tricky wrote:
sandigobras what grade Delo do you use
I use the Delo 400 LE 15W40 dino version....
Same in my 1800....shifts nice and smooth.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I use Delo in my 1500 so that I never have to buy an 1800.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I did use it on an oil change while wintering in Florida last winter.
Trying to find a location for the same oil in Ontario.

Possibly Husky outlets, will need to check them out

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I haven't had any luck in finding here in Ontario, Tricky.

I get mine (4 x1 gallon jugs) every time I cross over to Hamburg and hit the Wally world there. ;)

I've tried the Honda G4 (so-so)and the Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W/40 (worst oil I've ever tried) and then the Delo LE 15W/40. The Delo is the best oil for my 1500 I've tried by far and it's inexpensive to boot! :cool:

I've been running nothing but Delo for over 140,000km/87,000mi and will keep doing so. Great oil that has outstanding performance, allfor a low price. Can't ask for more than that!:baffling:It definitely gets the "Dusty Seal of Approval". :cooler:

Dusty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I suspect one of the reasons DELO makes some 'Wings shift a wee bit better is due to it's being a bit thicker, the 15W40 is always going to be a bit more viscous than 5Wanything. That alone ought to cushion the gears a mite.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I suspect one of the reasons DELO makes some 'Wings shift a wee bit better is due to it's being a bit thicker, the 15W40 is always going to be a bit more viscous than 5Wanything. That alone ought to cushion the gears a mite.
But it's not just the weight of the oil with the Delo. It's the ability to maintain it's viscosity very well over the usage cycle. Some oils exhibit very slick shifting properties when first installed but have fairly steep viscosity drop off curves over the change cycle miles.
It also comes out looking much better for the wear than many of the others at each oil change (almost original but slightly darker). I know your message was not exclusive but the additional info is also important to include.

In usage tests in my '89 GL1500, Delo-400 is closest to Mobil-1 synth 15w-40 in it's personality over the change cycle while at very much lower cost. It is very hard if not impossible to tell them apart, otherwise.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree and believe the diesel grade oils are designed to hold their viscosity longer due to the high pressure loads on diesel crank and rod bearings. One of our long missing forum members, Twisty, made the point very well a few years ago. I always accepted his advice on oil and oil performance because of all of us as far as I can see he was pretty much what I'd call an expert on the subject. It's too bad he's not with us on site anymore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.