Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

while replacing the bolts for the cylinder head covers one of the bolts snapped off. I was using a torque wrench to tighten the bold set to 9lbs as per the manual. Anyhow I was able to drill it out and will get a 6mm x1.0 tap to rethread it in the morning. If this doesn't work (new hole alignment) what are my options? I'm fearing the worst. What are my options?

:?:baffled::doh:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If the threads wont tap or a thread chaser will not fix the problem, than buy a helicoil kit or bring your wing to someone who can install a helicoil.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I've seen this happen before. I don't even go by the book settings for those cover bolts anymore and just use my own judgement.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

If you have somebody handy with a mig welder you can weld on the bolt & then weld a nut on the built up area. Then just put a wrench on the nut & back it out. I find impacts are really great for removing bolts. The vibration frees the bolt.

My neighbour does the welding thing all the time with manifold bolts and it works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

tried an extractor but it wouldn't budge. I drilled it out and will rethread it tomorrow when I pick up the proper size tap. If that fails I've ordered some Helicoils as a backup. If that doesn't work what are my options?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You could have the hole welded closed & re drill & tap new threads!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

sounds good. I feel better now knowing that if all fails I don't have to buy a new block.

:bowing:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I am with englishted on this one. For those bolts if you pay attention you will feel the rubber compressing and then you will feel the shank ridge contact the head. When it gets to that point stop. There is very little movement left when that happens and certainly no increase in bolt tension.

Depending on the size of the drill you used you may not have enough material do rethread the hole. A heli-Coil should work fine. If it comes with it's own drill bit use that if not get the proper size the directions call for before attempting it.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

a product called tap magic works wonders make sure it's for alum. makes nice clean threads

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I was able to drill it out are rethread the hole. All is well. I just need to get a replacement bolt. These are the Big Bike Parts replacement covers. After reading the instructions (I know...real men don't read instructions) I see that these bolts are spec'd to torque to 7.5lbs versus 9lbs for the OEM ones. This was most likely what caused them to snap. I followed the advise of the board and tightened to feel. Thanks all for the suggestions. Most of all was glad to know that I was not going to have to get another block if I couldn't rethread.

:clapper:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.