Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking out my window its snowing, had 4 inches today and more to come so they say, its -2.5c and the a~~holes at local council haven't salted the roads, so I've got to walk mile to mums to help her get dad to bed, he's paralyzedand the carers can't get there because the roads aren't clear. This I'm afraid is typical of the UK one bit of snow and it all grids to a halt. :(How do youcope with the bad weather?:?

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Silverfox was just telling me about the mess there. Its the same as here in the Southeast US when it snows. A small amount of snow shuts down everything. Nothing you can do but own a 4x4 and be careful out there. Driving in snow is like motorcycling, its usually not you that causes the accident, its the other fools you have to watch out for.

Snow is not the real problem, its ice you have to watch for.

Be careful out there!:snowman:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

When you live in western Canada you get used to it, everyone has warm gear and most vehicles have appropriate tires.

The local authorities also have BIG budgets for snow clearing.

We still get lots of fender benders though, people with Hummers who think they can disobey the laws of physics are particularly bad.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
Silverfox was just telling me about the mess there. Its the same as here in the Southeast US when it snows. A small amount of snow shuts down everything. Nothing you can do but own a 4x4 and be careful out there. Driving in snow is like motorcycling, its usually not you that causes the accident, its the other fools you have to watch out for.

Be careful out there!
Snow and ice in South Carolina.......In your fridgerator maybe...:snowman:....

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I bought 200# of salt yesterday. They had a run on salt here. Snowed 8 inches and then it rained, causing 2-3 inches solid ice on my two driveways that I clean.

-2.5 C? I wish. Here today it was above freezing but it has been -7 to -17C for the last 2 weeks.

But, I feel your pain. Winter stinks, pain in the a**.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I used to live in Atlanta, Georgia and the same happened to me there, as has happened to Koxx4. No plows, no sand, no salt, no nada. Snow and ice on roads for 3 days.

BTW, I bought the salt because my 87 year old mother could not get out of the house. The weather can be terrible for older people. Sorry to hear about you koxx4.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:

Be careful out there!:snowman:
If you dont see any fools on the road start slowing down, cause you may be the fool everyone talks about.:cheeky1:

I drive an 18 wheeler and iits so easy to drive slow and careful when you are getting paid for it but as soon as I get in my cager I feel like I am moving backwards. I do control my urge to go faster but its the desire to go faster that upsets me.

My rig has so much power and torque that one day up hill I had to feather the clutch and keep pace at 20mph for 13 miles. Everytime I would go faster the rear wheells would start sliding and the trailer ( now with foward momentum) wants to push the front of the tractor.

Scary stuff.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well we how have 8 inches still no salt on the road and its an A road :(. Going back up to mum on foot to get Dad up, no point in waiting for the carers to arrivethey got no chance of getting through. Still on the bright side no work lol:):clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Purely out of curiosity, if you can not get to work because of snow , what happen with your paycheck at the end of the month ?. Do your employer deduct the days that you could not go to work ?

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
Purely out of curiosity, if you can not get to work because of snow , what happen with your paycheck at the end of the month ?. Do your employer deduct the days that you could not go to work ?
The boss can't get in either so I will be paid regardless.
:)
What p#### us off is the snow had been for casted for the last week so the councils new about it, and still they haven't treated the roads. I just spoke to a mate in the know , and he tells me that they (council) didn't what to pay Sunday overtime rates so that's why the gritters weren't out yesterday:gunhead:, this I can believe:X
:X

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

With most of the councils being close to, or being bankrupt, this is the result, although most councils did grit on Sunday afternoon I hear on the grapevine and they had gritted on Saturday. With the amount of snow we have suddenly had it is I fear beyond the gritting to cope with and until cars do go on the roads it is ineffective. Today our road was unpassable to start with but now the cars and grit have taken effect and it is again passable with care, despite the fact that we have over a foot of snow and it is still falling hard.

The other problem is that most of the councils in the Uk sold off their stocks fo bolt on snow plows and now have nothing to clear serious blockages with.

Winter clearance is way down on the priority list with councils, they have to listen to what the public want and spend their megere funds carefully and winter is not on peoples minds mostly. Immigrants and local schemes for minority groupsat "high risk"are high on the agendas these days, not a bit of snow I am afraid. Thank the voting public for blocked roads.

:X:X

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well I had an eventful morning,

I got a call from the local Police, they had an emergency situation could I assist. This isn't unusual for me, I do work for them from time to time, I'm a Locksmith.What follows is different: "Where are you?" Gave my address, short pause, there will be a unit with you in 2 minutes so get our tools and hurry. Didn't even lock the house just grabed a tool bag and hoped I had all I was going to need. By the time I got to the bottom of the drive the 4x4 unit was pulling in, he had been pull off the M25 to get me. What's the panic I asked, don't know mate, I was just told to get you to........ as fast as pos. Wow, could he drive, snow going everywhere Blues and Twos all the way for about 3 miles.

When we got there the problem was explained to me. A 74 year Lady had collapsed in a 5th floor flat, she was drifting in and out consciousness, and her head was resting against the door. The paramedics were talking to her through the letterbox but she couldn't move, so the break the door down option wasn't on due to her body position ,and the Deadlock was ON, so no pressure here then. Lucky enough the key was in the lock on the inside and the rim lock was a breeze so I got the door open in under a minute.

The Lady was thought to have broken her hip and had been laying there sometime before she pressed her Care Link Button. After the paramedics did there stuff I rejoined the Officer who had collected me and made a some what slower return home.

So I did go to work after all, but there will be no charge on this one.

Hope the Lady is ok, I'm told shock is the main problem, but she is in good hands now.

And its still snowing.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Brilliant job koxx4, glad your assistance paid off for that poor lady!!:clapper:

Don't suppose you were lucky enough to get a lift on down to your parent's house afterwards from the policeman?:(

Still snowing here but the roads are becoming more passable with every hour, I love the snow, but hope the roads get cleared for those that need to get about urgently.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Wouldn't have asked, they have got there hands full at the moment.

Main Road now gritted and passable with care, but local villages all but cut off by car, landrovers etc only, if they can get by the idiots who are stuck in their Chelsea Tractors in the lanes. :gunhead:

I will continue to walk its good for the figure I'm told lol.:shock:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Way to go koxx4!!!! Good way to start the day!!! Over here no one gives a second thought to a locksmith until they lock their self out of the house or car, then it's "why did you take so long to get here?"

That's worth some Mana!!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Good job koxx4, if it snowed here, San Bernardino would shut down, we shut things down here more to flooding than anything else (except for the Los Angeles Olympics when the were here).:D

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Here (Cleveland) they don't even bother with our roads until it stops snowing - it's just going to fill up again, right?

So this past week we had 10 inches of snow in about a 12 hour period. After it had finally stopped snowing, they finally sent the plows around, and two days later brought the salt trucks out.

I'm glad I have a 4x4 - I was able to get around without a problem. I was also able to tow my wife's car out of the snow after she was not able to get around. :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Nice work Ian. We have a former locksmith on our Fire Dept. who carries a tool that looks something like a toy gun that he inserts in a lock, pulls the 'trigger' a few times and the door opens like magic. Nice guys to have around. Question for you: Have you ever heard of 'lock bumping'? Has it found it's way to your side of the pond? Our Fire Dept buddy warned us about this and gave us a much greater appreciation for the adage that "locks are only good to keep honest people out". For those of you that haven't heard of it check this link: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM Hope it doesn't ruin your day.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Nice work Ian. We have a former locksmith on our Fire Dept. who carries a tool that looks something like a toy gun that he inserts in a lock, pulls the 'trigger' a few times and the door opens like magic. Nice guys to have around. Question for you: Have you ever heard of 'lock bumping'? Has it found it's way to your side of the pond? Our Fire Dept buddy warned us about this and gave us a much greater appreciation for the adage that "locks are only good to keep honest people out". For those of you that haven't heard of it check this link: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM Hope it doesn't ruin your day.
Yes we know all about it, had a scum bag arrested after he came in the shop asking for bump keys, he was well know to police. They used our tip off to do a search and recovered a load of stolen gear. If he had a Brain he would be dangerous, fancy coming into a Master Locksmith Association Shop and asking for Bump Keys:gunhead::gunhead:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.