Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm cruising home from work on a 2 lane back road. as I was slowing down to take a sharp turn{aprox 25-30 mph} a pit bull runs out in front of me in my lane and takes an aggressive stance. I swerved to the center line to avoid him and as I passed by him he took a leap toward me but was a little too slow and I just went by him...

I live in a rural area around a lot of wooded areas with peach and apple orchards.I have seen all kind of animals running out in front of me but the pit bull was a 1st....

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

I had a German Shepherd do that over the past weekend. I am glad it didn't jump for me, cause I think that would have gotten messy. :shock:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

Maybe you can get him with the car, might save a life. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I would take a look around the area and see if you can find the owner. If this dog is activelyjumping and trying to get you then sooner or later it will get someone and it won't be pretty.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I have a name for dogs that run in front of my wing.:cool:

Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:cheeky1:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
Probably he just wanted to play, they are big teddy bears when brought up properly.
Thats a fact... I have had a number of them, all sweeties.

See a bad dog? I'd bet there a bad person behind them...

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Dogs like to chase things. Doesn't matter what breed, they'll try to chase a motorcycle, car, bicycle, cat, kid running, it's a natural reaction. What they do with them after they catch them may be a different story.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
imported post

The State of California has just recently changed the law that aggressive dogs can be treated (by the law) the same as an actual "Dog Bite." This opens up the penalties by the State to the owner's of the dog, which can be prosecuted, opening up the possibility of further civil action against the dog owner. In your case JAD, the dog (for its own safety) should be chained up or have a proper fenced area around the owners property.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

I once turned down a side road because I was curious as to where it went. About 2 miles down, it turned into a dirt road so I made a U turn. In the midst of the turn, a pack of dogs came out of the woods running towards me and barking like mad. I ended up getting on the throttle with my feet as high in the air as I could lift them.

Yes, there is a moral in this story. :(

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

I had a German Shepard run out on me on a curve, went straight thru it and I got back up and the dog didn't.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Dogs like to chase, and regardless of whether they'll actually bite or not, they can look pretty darned scary when they do come at you, even if they're (in their own minds) just playing. Not to make excuses, or say it's OK or acceptable, but it is to a large extent simply in their nature to do so (chase & protect). Now, I've got dogs (I've had big dogs... a Wolfhound, a Mastiff & now a Rottweiller) and they don't run free. That's the bigger issue - why are they running free? Don't blame the dog - they're just being dogs.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i guess i have nerves of steel unless its a human being, like a kid or adult especially if see a ball come out infront of me i'll lock it up and throw it in a ditch cuz what follows a ball..... a little kid

but as far as dogs, cats, animals i DO NOT swerve or freak out i just go and if i hit the animal i hit the animal as long as its not a big animal like a deer or buffalo lol

last summmer the taco bell dog ran out infront of my bike and i was goin 20-30mph and wham there it was i just honked and it was a busy residental street with traffic comming i wasnt about to swerve into a tree or into the oncomming traffic i admit i did hit the dog and the vet did have to put it down i dont feel bad about what happend but the dog owners are still trying to sue me

but leash laws are a good thing, which our city requires all animals to be on a leash

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

:raspberry: I once lived in a small cabin at the end of a very long narrow road. Every time you came down that road, two German Shepherds would come after you. I learned early on that they would come from the left and always chase me as far as a garage on their property. If I swerved toward the garage, they would stop.

One day my brother decided to teach one a lesson. He locked up his brakes and swung the door of the Mustang open, figuring the dog would hit it, just like in the movies. Wrong! He wound up with a very angry dog on his lap. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Back when I had my Cushman Scooters I delivered newspapers, I have been chased and missed chased and caught...The one dog that scared the living bejeusus out of me was this huge boxer...Belonged to my dentist and Pancho loved to chase me down just to tear my cloth papers bags off my scooter....One day I had a engine block in the right paper bag, it had a drain plug sticking out about three inches....Pancho came after me.....Just as he got to me I leaned over to the left, not being able to keep it over I straightened that scooter up...The engine block swung out to the right, hitting Poncho in the roof of his mouth....Pancho hid under a car, I helped the Doctors wife load him up to take to the Vet....Poncho lived, but not just my scooter but any scooter coming down that street after he got well, made him have a panic attack, and need several people to get him from under the car...Poncho was the dentists mentally challenged child's pet, they finally got the fence fixed and Poncho lived a long time....

But now I will do my best to avoid animals, but if its going to cause me to hurt my family or others.....I figure it this way a $20,000 dollar car goes over a $50.00 dog once its just good math...Sorry to all animal lovers but my life and my families life is worth more....

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
Dogs like to chase things. Doesn't matter what breed, they'll try to chase a motorcycle, car, bicycle, cat, kid running, it's a natural reaction. What they do with them after they catch them may be a different story.

Sure fire way of curing that. Take off a rear hub cap and one lug nut. Put a nice long rag on the stud and snug the nut down a bit. Cruise where the dog is chasing cars and such and make sure you go slow enough to let him catch it. The rag will tighten up and he won't be able to let go. Don't go very far then stop and he'll get loose. Just about guarantee you he won't chase cars again.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
imported post

I remember back when I was eleven years old and my brother was nine. We had a neighborhood dog, a Doberman named 'Major' that was one bad a$$ dog that used to like nipping on kids butts. This one particular day my brother and I were walking down the road back to our house when we heard another kid in the neighborhood yell out that Major was "out." Already pre-conditioned to fear this dog, my brother and myself just started running for home. At one point I looked back over my shoulder and sure enough, Major was running down the street coming for my brother and me. Now I was a much faster 'runner' then my brother and somewhere in the back of my mind I remember hearing "Don't run from a charging dog." So I quit running and stood in place, my brother ran past me with Major zeroing on my brother's butt. Long story short, my brother got nipped in the rear, not enough to draw blood and Major went back home.

The moral of this story: Dog's love the chase.

A dog or cat owner has a responsibility of keeping their pets safe, they don't play well on the open road. I can't count the number of times I've had to raise my legs high enough where they wouldn't become hamburger and that's becoming increasingly harder to do with age.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
Back when I had my Cushman Scooters I delivered newspapers, I have been chased and missed chased and caught...
Amazing parallel! Around 1958I delivered the Los Angeles Mirror at Edwards AFBon my model 52 Cushman scooter. Every afternoon I had to go past a house where a big German Shepard seemed to be waiting for me. I almost wrecked a couple of times trying to avoid that dog. Chasing me almost finished off that dog, while trying to avoid it and miss a kid on the street the dog got caught between my scooter and a parked car. Really put a hurt on the dog, the scooter wobbled but didn't go down (just like a weeble) but the dog ended up with a couple broken legs. I ended up falling off the scooter on top of my newspaper bags. The owner's wife came out of her house yelling at me but once she saw me and the newspapers on the ground she became a lot quieter. I lied and told her my dad was a Colonel (he was actuallya Msgt) because that outranked her hold man. We decided she'd take the dog to the vet and forget the whole deal seeing as I was only scraped up a bit. Thedog healed up but never again chased bicycles or scooters.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
Probably he just wanted to play, they are big teddy bears when brought up properly.

Here doggy doggy.. nice doggy doggy.. look at the cute doggy..

GGGRRRRRrrrr....... GGGRRrrrrrr ...... Chomp chomp...

Big teddy bears brought up properly aren't found on the road chasing/facing off with vehicles of any sort..... hahahahaha....

Ya do whatchya gotta do.. I wouldn't want to hit one, or harm one.. but if it happened... I'd probably sue the owners of that dog. There's just no reason. Absolutely none except neglect. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.