Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday I went in Bass pro shop looking for a specific item, didn't buy anything or do anything but gasp at the prices and left. The next day and each day since I have gotten an email from bass pro shop, never before. Makes me wonder what kind of magical spy devises they have in there.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Any chance that you had a smarta$$ phone with you?

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any chance that you had a smarta$$ phone with you?
Well yes I did, that did not occur to me. May have to remember to turn the Fn thing off when I go in places like that, or don't go in places like that is a better idea.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Well yes I did, that did not occur to me. May have to remember to turn the Fn thing off when I go in places like that, or don't go in places like that is a better idea.
Or leave it off until you need it, if you ever really do.

You're older than dirt so you may remember the days when a phone, if you had one, was used only for emergencies.:surprise:

Reactions: Gipsy42

·
Administrator
22,357 Posts
Hell, I can remember when my only phone sat on small table next to my easy chair.

And had to be plugged into the wall!

And, I had to walk over to the TV to change the channel.

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or leave it off until you need it, if you ever really do.

You're older than dirt so you may remember the days when a phone, if you had one, was used only for emergencies.:surprise:
Yep, the world has got everyone thinking they can't live without the evil things.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,228 Posts
it was definitely your cellphone, and most likely you had left the WiFi enable and it was searching and trying to login to one or more of their channels.

I use an app called MacroDroid to disable DATA, WiFi and Bluetooth when my phone is "dark, or screen locked". so, if my phone is not used inside the store, then they don't know that I was there.

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was definitely your cellphone, and most likely you had left the WiFi enable and it was searching and trying to login to one or more of their channels.

I use an app called MacroDroid to disable DATA, WiFi and Bluetooth when my phone is "dark, or screen locked". so, if my phone is not used inside the store, then they don't know that I was there.
Maybe I'll just get rid of this thing all together and solve the problem while at the same time cutting costs. Had I realized how much big brother can find out about you just by having one of these things I never would have got one in the first place.

·
Administrator
59,228 Posts
Not to worry Dave, all they know is "you were there" and if you buy anything, they already know that.

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to worry Dave, all they know is "you were there" and if you buy anything, they already know that.
The fact I didn't buy anything should tell them something.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I don't have a smarta$$ phone and likely never will but it does bring up a question.
How in heII are they getting your email address off your phone as that sounds like a serious security breach to me?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Another thought and yes it hurts to have two in the same day.
Is the email account gmail and did you Google the store before your visit.

As you can probably tell I don't put much trust in the Google Mining Corporation.:surprise:

·
Administrator
59,228 Posts
Ken,

All Android Smartphones have to be registered with Google when you first turn them on.

once that happens, the Device ID is tied to your email.
And the WiFi reports the device ID, not the email adrs.

So, wally sports senses you sniffing at their WiFi and Device ID: 1234 is trying to connect.
Never mind that you don't connect and use it, all you had to do was waltz into that store with your Phone's WiFi settings set to "Identify when surfing"...

Bingo!

Device ID = Email = $$$ ching ching from Bass Pro Shop to Google's Bank Account.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another possibility is the Google Map app. I frequently get "photo opportunity" messages from google.

You may want to disable the location services. A number of apps use them and they may be mandatory for google maps.

Google may tracked that you went into Bass Pro and then notified Bass Pro with a "one of our users entered your store yesterday would you like to send them advertising emails" message.

·
Administrator
22,357 Posts
Some day, all the smart phone systems will fail. At that point, those who didn't get brainwashed by that technology will rule the world.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Some day, all the smart phone systems will fail. At that point, those who didn't get brainwashed by that technology will rule the world.
I've got a tree branch, some string and several twigs, count me in.:grin3:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
That be King with upper case k, show some respect.:grin3:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.