Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So one cool night I turned on the heated grips and thought they seemed comfy at level 4. Saturday I was out and turned on the seat and grips heat to max, and I wasn't even sure they were on - but then again I was almost home. This morning I went out to the garage and idled the bike with the grips and seats at max and it took a while -15min beforethe chill started coming out of them. So, how warm should they get, and how long should it take? It was around 50F at the time.

Cheers,

Kerry

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

How long? Quite a while (longer if you are moving as the wind draws the heat away) How warm? ...Not very

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I thought I read there is a amibeint temp minimum before they come on?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Rode a rented 2010 through rain, snow and hail in mountain passes. My Icon leather and mesh gloves were soaked but with the grip heaters set about 6-8 my hands were toasty. Max setting was nice for a few minutes after stopping but I had to turn them down shortly. I wonder if they've been improved from '06 to '10.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

They must have improved between 06 and 10. The 06 model only goes to 4. What next...11 ? (cheap Spinal Tap reference)

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

I may have the numbers wrong...may have been through 4 with dots or something between. I know setting them on max was too hot but they sure were welcome with cold wet hands.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well don't I feel dumb!!!!

:cheesygrin:

I installed a Utopia backrest andhand wingson my Wing today and when I pulled the seat off, the heater wire wasn't connected!!!! A couple of weeks ago I had the seat off when I did the air filter and I either didn't plug the seat heater back in, or didn't get it snapped tight. So, now the grips and seats heat up great! I think when I figured last weekend that the chill was coming out of the grips, it was only the warmth from my hand, or else I was just fooling myself.

We went for a ride for a couple of hours today at 9C (48F) and really appreciated having the seat and grip heat. And the backrest is excellent too!

Cheers,

Kerry

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Good find. Glad it was that easy.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I read that Honda wired the grips and seat heaters through the bikes ECU. Unlike the old style heated grips that dumbly responded to the switch setting - they are regulated by both ambient temperature and the switch setting.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

probably explaines why mine dont heat up in 60 degree weather or they just quit working all together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.