Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Allot of you folks haveridden a Goldwing for a long time and that is what I would like to know. It is a large machine and to a sport bike, dual sport rider it looks cumbersome.

I have been told that it is the same weight that gives the bike it great cruise feel on the road. Lots of power, big enough to be seen and can go where you want. It is also one of the best tour bikes on the road for comfort.

So as I look for an 86 to 95 model I have been told to get a bike that has the air pump still set to switches, not tire valves. Find one that is in good condition and make it my own. I will use the section here in this page on what to look for In a machine of those years.

So before I start to sound like a kid at Christmas and start to babble, the wing is a whole new attitude on two wheels is it not? She is easy to ride once you shut your yap and listen to those whoall readysee her grace.

So that is what I will do.

Thanks

llf:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
imported post

If I was to choose between a 1200 and a 1500, I would take the 1500. It's not quite as good a handling bike as a 1200 but with the right tires (Michelin Pilot GT) it's close.
I wouldn't settle for less than a SE model personally, but they do cost more.

The 1200 is a good handling bike but parts are becoming scarce and that will not change. They've been out of production for 20 years so unless you are quite willing to compromise on parts, don't buy one.

The 1500 can be intimidating in its size and weight but once your moving its quite a treat. Low speed handling is a bit clumsy but not unsafely so. Parts availability is very good and there seems to be lots of selection available used, especially if you don't mind importing from the US.

Oh and by the way I do own both models and just purchased an 1800 buts that's another kettle of fish altogether.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Myself, I got the latest model I could afford, [no payments] & ended up with a 97 1500SEwith 20k miles. I put new tires, brakes, Comp-U-fire alternator & AGM battery on it.

I also have a sport bike, Honda Shadow, but that won't take me & my wife into various states, through the Rockies, week-long wanderings, etc. It also doesn't have the 6 cylinder power to pull me onto the highway, or up a steep mountain road,just as quickas I'choose' to go.

Any extras on the bike, will just add to its resale value.

I require reliability. A backrest. Highway boards or pegs, Cup holder, and a comfortable seat. The rest is optional, for me.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Firstly a big warm welcome to the site low level flight, good to have you on board. :waving:

Next, I think you pretty much nailed it in your second sentence, save for the bit about "big enough to be seen".... they still don't see Wings!!!!!!!!:shock::shock::(

Goldwings are not for everyone, in fact if they were, life would be pretty boring out there, in the motorcycle world:cheeky1:. I am sure there are a good few riders who might move from a sports, or sports tourer, who just aren't comfortable with a Wing and what they are built for. That said, there are many thousands of us, just on this wonderful site alone, around the world, who are more than happy with our Wings and how they perform for us. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority will have owned or ridden different machines in the past, from crotch rockets to cruisers to sports tourers. I have read countless testamonies from guys and gals who have recently aquired a Wing, and have come on here to tell us about the Wow!! factor that they discovered.

Many people believe that Wings are jsut big sluggish beasts that are unrideable, but it is good to remember that back in 1975 when that first GL1000 was sold, it was the second fastest production bike on the market and the only one capable of chomping up hundreds of thousands of miles trouble free, if maintained properly.

Through all the model changes over the years, the Wing has still maintained the number one spot for long distance tourer, with all the latter models selling in vast numbers.

I would reccommend that you try and get to ride one, before purchacing, that way you won't be unsure when you do buy one!!!!:):cool:

Enjoy the forums here and please visit often.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
imported post

I moved from a Concours sport touring to a GL1800 (08) and will never look back.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have both am 81 gl1100 and gl1800. both are extremely nimble bikes. They allow me to do what ever I want. If you are going to compare a bike on how it handles in regard to the State Licensing test I would agree they are big and cumbersome, however I have yet to find a parking lot that requires me to make those same manuvers. Hell the 1100 is one of the easiest to ride bikes I have ever had the pleasure of sitting on. My 19 year old son learned to ride on it and loves it as well. My 1800 is a rocket (couch rocket not crotch rocket) and has the comfort for the long days in the saddle that I like. I agree with the posts above buy the newest bike you can afford. They are all great bikes but a bike with 20 or more years on it has 20 or more years wear and tear on it. Parts wear out, rubber dry rots, metal corrodes. Although I have had good luck on E-Bay getting parts you just cant count on the part being there when you need it nor can you count on the part being in good shape when you recieve it. Also most dealerships won't work on the older bikes as Honda has discontinued parts on many of them. That means that you have to do all the work. Might sound like fun and you will get a lot of help here but it means that if you are stumped it might take a long time till you get it fixed. I worry about being out of town and breaking down and not being able to find a dealer who can fix me up. With the new 1800 parts are available nationwide (although for a lot of $$$). Don't let this stop you They are great and reliable bikes and bargains are there if you look. My 81 GL1100 had 38k miles on it when I purchased it for $1500. I have put no more that $1000 in it to add a trunk/saddle bags, grips, windshield and stereo. I get lots of approving looks and comments on that bike.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

:weightlifter:
I ride both a 2000 Valk that is finely tuned and stacked. It has the F6 and inverted front shocks. I can keep up with the sporties as I go up mount Palomar and I fear no bike because the Valk goes faster and handle better then I do. I have also got a 95 GW SE and find it to be very nimble compared to your first impressions when you look at it. The F6 engine has a very low center of gravity and I can scrape my pegs all day (with good tires) and I have never felt a loss of confidence in either bike.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Welcome "low level" from over in the east, we've been through your area a couple of times & will be again. I went from a Shadow to an '85 Aspencade then our '96 Se, the GW is larger, but easier to ride in most situations, low speed movement is a little more noticeable, if you were to look at http://ridelikeapro.com/ it makes a large difference. You'll enjoy whatever you end up with. :action::action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,175 Posts
imported post

Dragoon wrote:
:weightlifter:
I ride both a 2000 Valk that is finely tuned and stacked. It has the F6 and inverted front shocks. I can keep up with the sporties as I go up mount Palomar and I fear no bike because the Valk goes faster and handle better then I do. I have also got a 95 GW SE and find it to be very nimble compared to your first impressions when you look at it. The F6 engine has a very low center of gravity and I can scrape my pegs all day (with good tires) and I have never felt a loss of confidence in either bike.
Dragoon,

I have made that Mt. Palomar run several times on my '94 gl1500se and I could keep up with everything going up that hill except the Dim witted crotch rockets. I was dragging the pegs in nearly every sweeping turn, a lot of fun.

However, I did know my limits and knowing your limits will go a long ways towards keeping you out of the ditches.

Every trip I made on Mt. Palomar, I have seen crashes and the rider waiting for, or being loaded into an ambulance. Not a good thing. :(

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I run a motorcycle tour business for “gas money” and one of the trips I offer is Mt Palomar. We don’t book it on weekends simply for that reasons.. I also carry a police scanner and check the road conditions the day before a tour up the mountain. I know very well that my Valk, and probably my GL1500, will out perform my skill set and I respect that. I have been riding for 32+ years and am in no rush to get anywhere on my bike. It for me is the journey, not the destination.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the greatest Goldwing forum and site on the planet llf :waving:

The bike I rode before catching my first Wing was a 400cc Yamaha that I got rid of in 1989. I bought my '99 Wing 3 years ago. The first few days on the Wing were a bit of a 're-learning' curve in long forgotten motorcycle handling technique. Within a few weeks the size of the bike was no longer intimidating - the more I rode (and practiced slow riding in parking lots) the more comfortable the bike became.

Don't let the size fool you. It is a responsive and comfortable machine. My longest one-day ride on the '99 was Calgary to Winnipeg in 14 hours (1450km) without any problems except for the 4 hours of rain crossing a portion of the gap (Saskatchewan). It was the last leg of a 6,300km trip to Tofino (not flying a straight line of course).

I moved up to a '06 in October this year and I believe this one may be my last Wing - I'll ride it until I am not able to ride anymore (sure - that's what I said about my '99 too).

Still have that very purdy '99 sitting in my heated garage and keeping my '06 company for the winter and it is for sale ;).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

Low Level; you didn't mention your experience. With that said, I spent 20yrs on everything fast on tar and dirt. When children came along I had to put everything down. I picked up an 89 1500SE to flip for a Harley, but here I sit a proud owner of a Wing a couple of years later. I'm not going to incur any wrath by suggesting I drive like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo but none of my shoes have heals without the outside heels ground away ;)

I try to ride 52 weeks a year, I rarely ride highways. I rarely get any respect as there are so many Harley-wannabe's around here (I used to own a biker bar, go figure).

To me, it's a high performance couch rocket. All the comforts, all the performance I can trust myself with, and cuz I'm a "stuff" guy, plenty of room for my flyfishing, camping, etc, gear.

Add a trailer, canoe, etc... :)

So, you have a high performance "couch rocket" that can carry more than most compacts

cheers.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Hey, miles.from.nowhere, Please tell about the windshield on your 1500:stumped:

What is it, and can you see over it, & does it it keep the air from slamming down on the passenger?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately I have no idea who the manufacturer is Big John .25 :(. It is very effective at protecting the driver and passenger from air and rain but the only way to see over it is to stand on the pegs. The only time that is necessary is when the roads are dirty when it's raining. Plexus keeps the water beading away pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Here's the deal. I've had about 10 bikes in three short years of riding. Most were pretty good, the VFR being the most fun.:action:

But I found this neglected 83 sitting in a guy's back yard and picked it up for $500 thinking I would just fix and sell at a profit. Nope, decided to sell my ST1100 instead!

The bike is suprisingly nimble, and has very neutral steering. It doesn't fall into a turn, nor does it struggle to initiate a lean. It just goes. Comfy as can be which is a godsend for my back and carpal.

Now the later models are bigger and heavier, more of a couch on wheels. I haven't ridden one yet, but I was told if I ever decide to get another Wing, to get the 1800 as they reverted to a more sporty platform from the 1500's. Ironically the guy that was in charge of the CBR at the time, designed the 1800.

But anyway, the engine sits reallylow which helps make the bike more lively than you'd think. Highly recommended. Just do your research and find a model that doesn't have known 'issues' like stator burnouts etc.

Oh btw, I always like to post this link for some entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFleFrJx7nw

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Low Level. Wlecom to the very best Goldwing site on the web. I bought mine (85 gl1200I ) from a dealer in Abbottsford and absolutly love it. After being a cruiser gal for so long it is quite a change but there is no way I,d go back.:action::action::action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:Angela

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

I switched from a saki' concours to a 1500 wing....glad I did....if you like long runs on the interstate or day-long runs on the back roads, it does both very well...the best thing I did to mine was to install progressive fork springs....different bike....get the newest/lowest mileage 1500 and go....they look bulky but they are not....the center of gravity is low...the concours slow speed handling was awful and the highway buffeting was nasty....much happier with the wing....

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

So you already bought a belt buckle?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks for the replies to my question. I am amazed that all around the world and even close to home, the Wing is a great bond making machine. I have been asked about my own riding skills so I will address that now. I have ridden bikes for about 22 years. I worked for awhile at a Honda dealership shortly after high school. As a service adviser I had the chance to ride everything from scooters to cruisers.

I did not have a chance at a Wing though. They where not often in the shop for work and when they where, the owners would ask that only the mechanic would ride them. For almost 20 years I did not have a car, I had my bikes. I used the work van if I needed a cage. I have ridden allot of powerful machines that went and handled very well. that is why I asked about the size of the Wing and how it handles. Every machine that I have ridden before was a total different attitude.

I have an 08 KLR now as I have said for I like the seat height and the fact that I can go off road. As you all know it is a heavy bike at 439 wet, but it is very nimble. I have a few passions in my life and one of them is fencing. It is with that in mind how I like to ride. I hope that people can understand that .

Thanks

LLF

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I went from a GPZ750 to an 1100, to a 1200 and to the 1500 I now have...I will never own anything other than a wing... I use the 1500 as a daily driver and as a touring machine... Love it and Da Boss loves to ride on the back on long rides. She, however, has an 86 Yamaha Fazer, that I take out when I feel the need to ride on one wheel for a while :cooldevil:

I just got an 82 1100 I am getting road worthy this winter and may make it into a nekkid and resell her, since I doubt Da Boss will let me keep 2 wings :baffled:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.