Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

pepsoy wrote:
whats the best stuff to soak carbs in before a rebuild? thanks.
I like carb cleaner and lots of compressed air!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I don't think you can get near enough pressure from a can.

I just cleaned the carb on my lawnmower, XT500 and SP250 in a can of Chemdip. Stuff works great but you need to make sure you remove all plastic and rubber parts before soaking. Most auto parts stores should carry it.

Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
I don't think you can get near enough pressure from a can.

I just cleaned the carb on my lawnmower, XT500 and SP250 in a can of Chemdip. Stuff works great but you need to make sure you remove all plastic and rubber parts before soaking. Most auto parts stores should carry it.

Bob
I like carburetor cleaner since that what it's made for. Ihaven't seen it attack the neoprene or rubber parts. You really need compressed air to blow things out. It's well worth while to have even a cheap compressor, there's a lot more use for them than just keeping your tires up. You don't need a high volume production unit, there are lots of small compressors available for under 50 dollars. All you need is one that can pump up 90psi or so and has an airtank. Doesn't need to be a big tank, a couple gallon size will do the job.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Cellulose thinners will dissolve anything in the carbs and very quickly too. It will also dissolve rubber and plastic so you need to strip them out first.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

BigAl wrote:
Cellulose thinners will dissolve anything in the carbs and very quickly too. It will also dissolve rubber and plastic so you need to strip them out first.
The thinners is extremely effective all right. It also takes the paint off the carbs so you might end up having to repaint the bare aluminium afterwards.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Folks,

I found this msg via a google search on compounds which would dissolve rubber. I apologize that my question has absolutely nothing to do with GoldWings and/or motorcycles, but it's definitely something to do with this thread.

I noticed someone mentioned that Cellulose thinners dissolve rubber? The problem I have is that I'd put a rubber magnet sticker directly on the body of my car. I was gone for a week and the car in the garage must have gotten really hot and now the rubber of that sticker has melted itself to my car's body (painted surface). I have tried all manners of Goof Off, Sticker Remover, Glue Remover, you name it. Nothing's worked. The rubber itself has melted itself to my car's painted surface. I need something that would dissolve the rubber, but not hurt the painted surface of the car.

Is there anything that you guys know of that would do this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Jac

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Just in case you check back. I would suggest temperature. Either deep cold and chip it off. or heat and rub it off. For cold you can get a can of component freeze at an elec store or maybe something from an automotive store? For heat try a hairdryer.

Good luck!

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Jac,gasoline will do the job. A small amount on a rag will dissolve the rubber and not harm the paint. Apply wax afterwards as thegasoline will also remove any wax from the paint. I usegasoline all the time to remove road tar from my paintwork. Its cheaper than the stuff you buy to do the job, which usually has gasoline anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The company I work for just got several hundred computers back in inventory and all of them have assett tags attached in the form of stickers that "void" if removed by hand... The adhesive left behindcannot be removed without damaging the painted surface of the laptops. Goo Gone left a damaged area, and scraping takes too long... While experimenting with this problem, I used Johnson & Johnson baby oil fust for Sh__s & giggles....AND IT WORKS!!! It appears to soften the adhesive and while rubbing, takes it off without harming the finished surface... It's cheap and comes in a small plastic bottle...

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

GW, thanks alot for the advice. I tried it and even though it took a whole lot of soaking, it finally started to loosen up. Also, because the rubber was stuck on a vertical surface of the car, whatever I put on it kept dripping off. What I did was take a razor and cut very small shallow vertical grooves into the rubber. That way when I put the gasoline on it, it sorta welled up on the rubber itself and sank into it.

Thanks alot again for your reply. You saved me 100's of $$$.

Jac

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jacomoman wrote:
GW, thanks alot for the advice. I tried it and even though it took a whole lot of soaking, it finally started to loosen up. Also, because the rubber was stuck on a vertical surface of the car, whatever I put on it kept dripping off. What I did was take a razor and cut very small shallow vertical grooves into the rubber. That way when I put the gasoline on it, it sorta welled up on the rubber itself and sank into it.

Jac
WD-40 is good for removing all lot of different goos, glues and such!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

jacomoman wrote:
Hey jacomoman :waving:Now that we have saved you 100 of $$$$$ would you please update your profile :crying:and complete the LOCATION section and tell us what country you live in. :stumped:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.