Premium Member
549 Posts
imported post

i'm going to try it out on my cb 750f carbs

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

That's impressive! KISS in a nut-shell. I'm going to build one myself. Thanks for sharing!:waving:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Hi Jim,
I am not sure if I have the contact anymore, but there is a guy in Columbia who had a soda blaster machine and process. I even think he traveled blasting cars and boats.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,953 Posts
imported post

treker8098 wrote:
Hi Jim,
I am not sure if I have the contact anymore, but there is a guy in Columbia who had a soda blaster machine and process. I even think he traveled blasting cars and boats.
Is that South Carolina, or South America? If it's Colombia, South America, I'd be cautious aboutspraying that white powder around. ;)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I hear you. Good to now some out there can spell even though i am not perfect. The location is SC.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Went deeper in the site and was caught by the single wheel trailer and it's hookup. That would work,a 3 wheel motorcycle and trailer in tandem.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Oh, BTW, you can get 50lb bags of baking soda at swimming pool supply stores.

Jim(inSC)

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

How do you think this will work on wheels? I'm trying to find a good way to clean up my wheels this winter.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I've got something even more simple. An air nozzle that already has the pickup tube fitting on it and air tube through the plastic cap of a 1 gallon anti-freeze jug.

I use it for the de-greaser I spray on my engines, it could also be used to hold the baking soda once dried out.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
imported post

detdrbuzzard wrote:
i'm going to try it out on my cb 750f carbs
I miss my '79 cb750k. It did me well until it's death. (Damn cam chains) But in it's death came the GL1100a. :cooler:

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Do you think this would be OK to spray on the cylinder heads inside to clean them up without hurting? sure would be nice to get more of the carbon buildup off inside by the exhaust valves. Maybe if I put the valves in place..
Great idea, THANK YOU!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
Do you think this would be OK to spray on the cylinder heads inside to clean them up without hurting? sure would be nice to get more of the carbon buildup off inside by the exhaust valves. Maybe if I put the valves in place..
Great idea, THANK YOU!
Baking soda is not hard enough to remove any metal in a reasonable length of time.. it actually crushes (and therefore cannot be reused) In fact it will hardly remove paint... A friend uses a system to soda blast even fiberglass parts to clean them up... Any abrasive, of course, given enough time in one spot will remove something, but the soda system is very safe.. also the grit will dissolve in water so it can be washed off...no gritty residue like sand or glass.. It is slow going though.. I won't be paying you by the hour:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i have a air siphon gun at work i use for cleaning engines and rear ends with solvent ive never tried arm and hammer before i might give it a shot next time i get it out would have helped to know this when i was sanding and sanding on the aluminum to get it to polish

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Ok.. i bit, I had to try it. I'm helping a friend rebuild a 81 verago.. tried this. bought 50lb bag of soda from the pool store... now, mind you, a verago is not as refined as a wing, it has not figured out water cooling, sooo there are these hideous air cooling fins. and i have to tell you that this soda blasting thing was AWESOME! got right in there between the cooling fins, cleaned all the garbage out, in fact he was going to polish them, but now says this was good enough! I also like the idea that it was non-toxic. a bit of a dust maker, but not tough to clean up.. I was amazed at how much soda it did NOT use, I thought it would just go through it, but it was pretty lean on the usage. also you have to maintain a good pressure, i found it worked best at above 80psi.
good luck! I have found my new rust / grime/ dirt/ scale / whatever remover!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Excellent tip.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Never mind! :doh:

·