Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first time here and my very first bike. I have a 78 gl1000 I'm redoing the wiring I started it up last night it ran a little rough then my headlight got super bright then everything died. Then I went to start it up this morning and it just clicks like a vibration please help

·
Administrator
26,200 Posts
I would guess either the dogbone fuse is cracked or a bad battery or connection.

·
Administrator
26,200 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
With the lights going very bright i would guess the battery died suddenly and/or a connection to battery went bad, not necessarily at battery

·
Registered
179 Posts
Poor connection some where. IN the battery, AT the battery, Ground, or start at the + terminal of the battery and follow the wires and check each connection after that.
Bright lights show an open circuit (poor connection).

Makes me wonder why they ditched the dog bone fuse? Are you dealing with some one else problem they passed on to you?

David

·
Premium Member
6,659 Posts
It is possible the battery went open internally. It is rare but it does happen. Then the regulator sees very low voltage and runs wild trying to charge the defective battery. Check the battery voltage and if it is low try to charge it.

A poor connection at the battery, engine block (ground) or solenoid can do the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor connection some where. IN the battery, AT the battery, Ground, or start at the + terminal of the battery and follow the wires and check each connection after that.

Makes me wonder why they ditched the dog bone fuse? Are you dealing with some one else problem they passed on to you?

David

David
I was told they ditched the dog bone fuse cuz they blew 2 of them and had no more and yes it was basically given to me cuz they couldn't figure it out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the lights going very bright i would guess the battery died suddenly and/or a connection to battery went bad, not necessarily at battery
So a bad connection could cause the light to do that? I'm asking cuz I'm new at all of this

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So a bad connection could cause the light to do that? I'm asking cuz I'm new at all of
It is possible the battery went open internally. It is rare but it does happen. Then the regulator sees very low voltage and runs wild trying to charge the defective battery. Check the battery voltage and if it is low try to charge it.

A poor connection at the battery, engine block (ground) or solenoid can do the same.
I checked the voltage it was 12.63

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ok I'll check ty

·
Administrator
26,200 Posts
So a bad connection could cause the light to do that? I'm asking cuz I'm new at all of

I checked the voltage it was 12.63
Check it with the key off, then key on then with pushing the start button.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,599 Posts
You need to put the fuse back in and find out why it is blowing.
Obviously, there's a serious wiring issue some where.
The dog bone fuses are available at many auto parts stores

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,737 Posts
My local O'Reillys has them, just looked on their website and can't find it.... must have a peculiar name.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need to put the fuse back in and find out why it is blowing.
Obviously, there's a serious wiring issue some where.
The dog bone fuses are available at many auto parts stores
Thank you man that's the best advice yet. There has to be a serious wiring issue. We

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,359 Posts
When you check the battery voltage, test at the battery post only not the clamp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts