Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just put a new starter in my bike and on about the third crank, the SOLENOID quit responding. The solenoid still clicks, but can it die and still click?

The starter is fine....screwdriver tests shows that.

*edit* sorry for the confusing pronoun game.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

The starter can definitely be dead and still click. But have you checked all your connections especially the relay contacts. If you have a bad connection then you will drop your battery voltage across the resistance instead of across your starter where you need it. Check the battery too. How much is your battery dropping when you engage the starter.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

It's either a connection or bad cell in the battery! check battery cables?

when mine did the same thing it was a bad battery and the battery was about a year old?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

rOmiLaYu wrote:
I just put a new starter in my bike and on about the third crank, the SOLENOID quit responding. The solenoid still clicks, but can it die and still click?

The starter is fine....screwdriver tests shows that.
rOmiLaYu, SURE it canclick & not power the starter..

Well if the starter turns good with a screwdriver test that means the battery must be up & the B+ cable & ground connections good, so that leaves either a bad cable connection at the relay (solenoid), or a poor start switch problem,,or partial open in the starter button circuit or bad ground onthe relay's low (ground) side), or bad contacts in the relay (solenoid)..

First, check the relay's ground side while trying to crank, if any voltage there suspect a failing clutch or trans switch, or high resistance wire on that side,, then check for over 8-9 volts (start button held down) on the switch side of the relay, if OK there you probably have a bad relay.. You can take it apart & clean the contacts, orin some instances remove the center & flip the contact strip over. In most cases, if the relay clicks that meansthe circuits to it are good but if the pull in power is low it can click but not make the contacts fully close..

Twisty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.