Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I check my solenoid on my 1982 Honda 1100 interstate. My bike won't turn over buy the start button.

·
Registered
471 Posts
When you push the button do you hear a click from the solenoid?

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
Simple test light. Connect the light to the battery+, key on,put the probe in the yellow/red wire, push the button. Does it light? If so good. Put the probe in the green/red, does it light? If it does you have a problem on the ground side. Does the neutral light work? Try it with the clutch pulled in. If you have power on the yellow/red and not on the green/red and it still doesn't click the solenoid is bad. If it does click but nothing happens touch the probe to the wire going to the starter, if you have power the starter is probably bad, if not the solenoid is bad.

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
It's often just the button is dirty.
I have owned a dozen 1100s and worked on several others, never seen a start switch not work other than the headlight side not connecting. Not much experience with 1200s so maybe they have that problem.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
I have owned a dozen 1100s and worked on several others, never seen a start switch not work other than the headlight side not connecting. Not much experience with 1200s so maybe they have that problem.
First heard of it from a friend with an 1100. He said his 1500 started doing it, too.
My 12 had me perplexed first time. Ended up getting it towed home and finally found it to be the button.
Since then, mine acted up again and I've helped several others, including a friend with a Suzuki scooter.
Best test is to spray WD-40 around the button and see if it helps. If it does, disassemble the switch, clean and lube it correctly. The WD-40 cleaning doesn't last very long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts