Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
58,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I have a problem:
big time.

The Refrigerator has a screw that I can't get out.
The screw is thru the central Rack Support and it just spins, the fastener behind the rack support is broken and it spins merrily away.
It is/was a JIS screw, and I have the proper JIS screw drivers.... but, if the fastener behind the surface is broken, how to get the screw out?

I have tried a small Vice Grip to no avail, the screw head tapers too fast for that tool to grab hold.
None of the drill bits I have will make a dent in the screw head, they burn up, edge rounds off.
Tried to use a long, small, flat screwdriver to get under the head, and jam the screw... sort of works, but the hardened head burns up the drill bits.

I tried a Dremel tool and it makes lot of sparks, but not much else.

Here is where it is now....... why am I doing this? The refrigerator temp sensors are bad, and I need to remove the rack, to remove the cover over the sensors.

The bigger hammer idea is not appropriate here, this is our nice "looks like new" Samsung French door Fridge/Freezer
SWMBO says we cannot tear up the rack and panel.

·
Administrator
25,334 Posts
Can you get a flat bar behind the piece the screw goes through? Pry on it gently while turning the screw.

·
Administrator
58,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There isn't very much room between the screwhead, and the steel rack....
We can get a thin, flat blade screwdriver in there, and it will jam the screw from turning.

but so far, all we have accomplished is to burn up 2 drill bits.
I don't have any small Carbide bits, just a couple of 1/2" bits I used for masonry.

Cyndi found a set of 12, flat thin cut off disks, that go with her Dremel Tool.

I have managed to make a decent slot in the screw with that.... takes a lot of patience,
and it is hard as hell on my back bone. That screw is about 30 inches deep inside the box, and me leaning over trying to hold the Dremel Tool is difficult.

I can manage about 5 minutes of that at a time, then I sit down for a bit, until my back quits hurthing.

.so far, I am still using the 1st thin Cut Off disk.... taking it easy, the Dremel Tool does not have much torque.

.I hope to be able to cut the head off the screw.... once that is done,
then we have to figure out how to put it all back together again.

I'm thinking, to just forget the bottom screw, the one up at the top should be good enough....
Depends on what kind of support structure is behind the panel that covers the cooling coils.

·
Administrator
25,334 Posts
There isn't very much room between the screwhead, and the steel rack....
We can get a thin, flat blade screwdriver in there, and it will jam the screw from turning.

That's not what I mean at all. If you can pry behind it and turn the screw it possibly will come out, I have used that method numerous times.

·
Administrator
58,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,
the way the plastic molding is made, precludes what you want me to do. It sets into a Recess.

I have given up, I am using a Dremel tool with the Cut Off disks.

So far, I have not broken any disks at all, and the screw head is about 20% smoothed off.
My back just won't let me stand leaned over more than about 5 minutes,
so I will just keep working on it thru the night, and tomorrow until the head finally pops off.

Once that happens, I will look to see if a fastener can be put back there again.
It would be nice, as that Vertical Steel Rack supports all of the shelves, and there was over 100 lbs of stuff in that fridge.... we moved it all to the garage to the old Amana which is working like a top.

·
Administrator
58,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like you could have cut a slot in the head and used a flat blade screwdriver, but I'd guess it's too late for that, now.
you totally missed where I said that the backside fastener is broken, and the whole thing spins as fast as the Power Drill can turn the screw.

that option never existed, ever. Once that "fhanstock clip" broke, or whatever the hell it was,
Game Over.

my only choice now is to grind the head off....
about 40% of it now gone, tmw is another day, it should be done by tmw afternoon.
Dremel tools, and Plastic housings don't go well together.

I have to be very careful to not dig into the Plastic frame.
tedious, very tedious.
about 5 minutes is all I can do at one time, kills my back.

·
Registered
312 Posts
With a hole saw slightly larger than the screw head, cut a hole around the screw head itself and remove the part.

Remove the screw now that you have access to the back side, and when you're done fixing the sensors replace the screw with a new one, covering the hole with a large stainless washer.

Not sure about the aesthetics of it, but it might be a 5 minute fix.

·
Administrator
58,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a hole saw slightly larger than the screw head, cut a hole around the screw head itself and remove the part.

Remove the screw now that you have access to the back side, and when you're done fixing the sensors replace the screw with a new one, covering the hole with a large stainless washer.

Not sure about the aesthetics of it, but it might be a 5 minute fix.
the smallest hole saw that I own is about 1.5 inches in diameter, I am quite sure that Cyndi would kill me if I did that.

but, that aside, that would destroy the Rack Support that holds the shelves in the Fridge, so that idea is a 'NO GO' from the start.

now that I am awake again, I will start up the little Dremel tool and grind off a few thousandths of metal.... making some progress, it is just very slow..... that rack support us recessed below the plastic Cute Stuff of the panel. I need to take another picture backed off far enough you can see more than just the screw head.

now you can see why a Hole Saw would be Bad News

·
Registered
312 Posts
So go buy a smaller hole saw...

If you limit yourself to the tools you have on hand, how do you ever get more tools?!

Isn't that the point of doing home projects?! To acquire more tools?!

·
Administrator
58,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So go buy a smaller hole saw...

If you limit yourself to the tools you have on hand, how do you ever get more tools?!

Isn't that the point of doing home projects?! To acquire more tools?!
you have missed the point again.....
that Steel Rack is what supports the shelves, and I cannot put a big hole in it, it is barely wide enough now.

·
Administrator
58,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the tiny little Dremel Tool won..... I have the panel cover loose.
the tiny Korean hands that put this thing together are idiots....
no room to get behind the panel to unplug the wires to the fan and another sensor....

I had to reach behind the panel with a pair of Needle Nose pliars and break loose all of the little cable retainers, so that the wires gave me enough room to turn it over 90* and let me access the connectors with my left hand.... what jerks those factory people are.

The two coolant lines have to be insulated to prevent future Freeze ups....
Learned that from a YouTube video.... Ice builds up on the two coolant lines from the top down, and then covers the sensor...... oh well, at least I know how to proceed on that job. which was Job #1 and be done, before the bottom Rack Screw broke the rear fastener loose from the back panel.

Not sure how I am going to fix that just yet.

some pictures

Screw head finally surrendered.

what back side fastener should look like, this is the left side screw fastener:

What the bottom Rack screw fastener looks now. It is broken free of the panel, so it just spins with the screw. this is the center fastener behind the Rack Support.

and here are the cooling fins, lines, and the sensor is in the little white plastic holder to the upper right, it is bad.

The power to the Fridge wall socket was turned off for 3 days, before I started on this job.
I wanted all of the ice to melt from everything that effected how this box works.

Had a puddle of water under the fridge when we pulled it from the wall.

·
Administrator
58,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did NOT intend to get this intimate with a fridge!!!

and the repair videos on YouTube are scary, in the fact the shade tree guys like me, don't know what they are talking about.... some give very good videos of the "how to take it apart", but are clueless as to what the individual parts actually are.

most of the videos say the sensor in the upper right corner is the Temp Sensor:
uh, no, it is the Defrost Temp sensor... must have watched 15 videos before I found the truth,
and that guy said the Temp Sensor is buried inside the front plastic panel that I had to remove....
and sure enough, it is.....

Now, why was the Fridge cooling down to 26*F when set to 44*F ??
a good sensor per the chart from Sansung shows that it will measure 5.4 to 6.0 ohms at ambient of 70*F
and will increase to ~ 13,000 ohms at 32*F in a glass of Ice Water.

Well buckeroo John, here is what I found. the old Temp Sensor at Ambient is 27k, and under cold running water from the faucet it climbed up to 33k at which point I quit.

This is the old sensor at 70*F

this is the new Sensor at 70*F

So, now it is time to put it all back together again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts