Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I bought my bike a while back, I tried to get it up on the center stand and couldn't by myself due to bad knees and back, so since my friend was over had him assist me and got it on the centerstand and was able to check oil, etc. Well, after doing some riding and going and getting it inspected (required in Texas), decided I needed to check oil again and tighen down some screws. Well, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it on the centerstand to set it to level, I couldn't put enough weight on the centerstand to get it to deploy. So I sat down and lit up a smoke and thought about it, all I needed was for it to set level to check the oil. So I dug around in the shed and found a couple of el cheapo jack stands. Holding the bike upright and level, I adjusted one stand and placed it under the forward guard of the right saddle bag. Adjusted the other one the same, and lifted just a hair on the left side and slide the other one in on the left. Bike now setting level and though the rear wheel is not off the ground, the bike is supported enough to check the oil properly and do other minor maintence. If I do ever need to get it on the centerstand, I'll just have to get some help, or design something that works better. I do have a bike/atv jack, but it is too heavy to use just to check the oil.:)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I could not get mine on the center stand either so I got a ride on stand. All you do is put it in reverse, hold the stand down, and back right up on it. Works great.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

GLester, if my experience and those of others, is anything to go by, it was probably trying to put the bike on the centre stand that did your knees a michief!!!

It is about time someone came up with a reasonably priced aid, maybe the gurus could get their heads round it and design and market one. I recon just about everyone would purchace it, even the strong men, who recon it's easy with the right technique. Even whenI was younger and fitter I used to struggle.

Pete

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Unfortunately fatalattraction, GL1100s don't have reverse.:(

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::bash:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
GLester, if my experience and those of others, is anything to go by, it was probably trying to put the bike on the centre stand that did your knees a michief!!!

It is about time someone came up with a reasonably priced aid, maybe the gurus could get their heads round it and design and market one. I recon just about everyone would purchace it, even the strong men, who recon it's easy with the right technique. Even whenI was younger and fitter I used to struggle.

Pete
Pete, I agree. I sat here and have been giving it a lot of thought, I've designed a few things in the past, and I was always a good troubleshooter, so I'll come up with something that will help out us old cripples who have problems with this situation.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Try pulling the bike up on a couple of short 1"X4" boards. One under each wheel. Then try to put the center stand down. It might just give you the extra height needed to pull it the rest of the way up! Or maybe you could get away with one only under the rear wheel. Try different thickness boards until you find what works best for you.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Try pulling the bike up on a couple of short 1"X4" boards. One under each wheel. Then try to put the center stand down. It might just give you the extra height needed to pull it the rest of the way up! Or maybe you could get away with one only under the rear wheel. Try different thickness boards until you find what works best for you.

Bob :11grey:
Bob, that's not bad an idea, it would halp, but I see two minor snags, I personally would feel a little unstable doing that on my own, which brings us back to inconvenience of having to illicit help. Second thing is, that might be okay at home, but a bit clumbersome out riding and you stop outside your favorite BurgerKing (yuk), and have to drag the 4"by2" out of the boxes!:goofygrin:

I personally, would dearly like to put the bike on it's centrestand when out, especially as friends usually want to sit on it. It wouldn't be the first time that I have had to stop the bike falling, when the side stand over balances. I don't trust it. I have taken to leaving in gear to help stop the accidents.

Gene, it would be a blessing if someone like you came up with a modification/ add on, for this, it is my back that suffers, not my knees, but it won't be long before they give me trouble I suspect! Maybe you could market your invention and make enough money for some new knees!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Gene, it would be a blessing if someone like you came up with a modification/ add on, for this, it is my back that suffers, not my knees, but it won't be long before they give me trouble I suspect! Maybe you could market your invention and make enough money for some new knees!!:goofygrin:

Pete

"Need" is the mother of all invention! :clapper:

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Since I have an 1100 I don't have reverse, luckily I am strong enuff yet to muscle mine up on the center stand...

I have been trying to think of a solution to make it easier.....to no avail so far:?

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Silverfox wrote:

Pete

"Need" is the mother of all invention! :clapper:

Bob
Well, I will have to come up with something, it is embarassing when you can't get your bike to where you can check the oil without help from someone. Though money isn't a bad idea for motivation either.:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It might be possible to weld a slight extension to the centerstand so you'd have a little more foot leverage. I assume you are using the technique of lifting the rear of the bike while pushing down on the centerstand step? If you get your timing right it can help to start by rolling the bike backward just a little as you step down on the stand you can get just a bit more momentum that way.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
Since I have an 1100 I don't have reverse, luckily I am strong enuff yet to muscle mine up on the center stand...

I have been trying to think of a solution to make it easier.....to no avail so far:?
Trust me Digby, the 1100 is a pussycat compared to the 1500!! I have just sold an 1100 and appart from some silly passenger boards that used to get in the way I struggled a lot less with her, than my new one. Plus this is when the bike is not loaded, what it would be like with all the stuff 'er indoors might take on a tour, goodness only knows.

Exavid, I do admit that sometimes it seems to go much easier than other times, but generally it is a major chore. I don't consider myself particularly strong or weak, but I always find it daunting at best. An extention might help, but i am sure there must be better solutions just waiting to be discovered,( perhaps by Gene!!)

Pete

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
It might be possible to weld a slight extension to the centerstand so you'd have a little more foot leverage. I assume you are using the technique of lifting the rear of the bike while pushing down on the centerstand step? If you get your timing right it can help to start by rolling the bike backward just a little as you step down on the stand you can get just a bit more momentum that way.
This idea has crossed my mind. I am going to study it further, though I had also thought about welding an adapter so that a lever could be installed to assist in pulling with the right arm while stepping down on the stand step. The lever would have to be at least 2 piece to have the leverage and height required, with the ability to be stowed in the saddlebag. If it works out, of course I'll post it here first. But it will be awhile until I get started designing such a contraption, a little cooler weather would help! But I like to think these things out and make sure it is going to work properly before I start celerbrating.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Blimey Gene, you don't waste time do you, you may have something there, I look foward to hearing of prototypes!:clapper:

Pete

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Well, next weekend, I'll shop around for some materials and if I can find what I'm looking for, I'll have to drag out the old mig welder and try to coble something up to experiment with. If I can get it figured out Pete, you will be the first to know.:)

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey GLester :waving:Gosh im really sorry about your handicap with trying to put your :11red: on the centre stand. People with bad knees and bad backs seems to very common world wide. :crying:I hope you can get something worked for your self to help with this problem. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Heck, I wish sometimes I had a Honda 50! Then I wouldn't have to worry about my back and knees, just breath real hard and the thing would get itself up on the centerstand!:)

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

I can put my neighbours :18red:up on the centre stand just aseasy as my Honda 50. :clapper: I know im very old but T.G. i have no problems with any of my joints. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
I can put my neighbours :18red:up on the centre stand just aseasy as my Honda 50. :clapper: I know im very old but T.G. i have no problems with any of my joints.
In my youth I had problems in a couple joints, but nowadays I don't go to those kind of places anymore.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Hey Redwing, I'm glad you don't have these problems. Must be the healthy lifestyle you live. The military screwed me up although most of the blame goes to me for allowing myself to get into this condition. 30 years ago I could have almost bench pressed that bike. Now I'm lucky I have enough strenth to hold it up and to back it up. You either have to learn to live with a disability and adapt the problem to a solution, or give up and start picking colors for your casket. I've never have been a quitter, and I plan on being around a long time.:)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.