Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I bought my bike a while back, I tried to get it up on the center stand and couldn't by myself due to bad knees and back, so since my friend was over had him assist me and got it on the centerstand and was able to check oil, etc. Well, after doing some riding and going and getting it inspected (required in Texas), decided I needed to check oil again and tighen down some screws. Well, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it on the centerstand to set it to level, I couldn't put enough weight on the centerstand to get it to deploy. So I sat down and lit up a smoke and thought about it, all I needed was for it to set level to check the oil. So I dug around in the shed and found a couple of el cheapo jack stands. Holding the bike upright and level, I adjusted one stand and placed it under the forward guard of the right saddle bag. Adjusted the other one the same, and lifted just a hair on the left side and slide the other one in on the left. Bike now setting level and though the rear wheel is not off the ground, the bike is supported enough to check the oil properly and do other minor maintence. If I do ever need to get it on the centerstand, I'll just have to get some help, or design something that works better. I do have a bike/atv jack, but it is too heavy to use just to check the oil.:)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Unfortunately fatalattraction, GL1100s don't have reverse.:(

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::bash:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
GLester, if my experience and those of others, is anything to go by, it was probably trying to put the bike on the centre stand that did your knees a michief!!!

It is about time someone came up with a reasonably priced aid, maybe the gurus could get their heads round it and design and market one. I recon just about everyone would purchace it, even the strong men, who recon it's easy with the right technique. Even whenI was younger and fitter I used to struggle.

Pete
Pete, I agree. I sat here and have been giving it a lot of thought, I've designed a few things in the past, and I was always a good troubleshooter, so I'll come up with something that will help out us old cripples who have problems with this situation.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
Gene, it would be a blessing if someone like you came up with a modification/ add on, for this, it is my back that suffers, not my knees, but it won't be long before they give me trouble I suspect! Maybe you could market your invention and make enough money for some new knees!!:goofygrin:

Pete

"Need" is the mother of all invention! :clapper:

Bob
Well, I will have to come up with something, it is embarassing when you can't get your bike to where you can check the oil without help from someone. Though money isn't a bad idea for motivation either.:)

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
It might be possible to weld a slight extension to the centerstand so you'd have a little more foot leverage. I assume you are using the technique of lifting the rear of the bike while pushing down on the centerstand step? If you get your timing right it can help to start by rolling the bike backward just a little as you step down on the stand you can get just a bit more momentum that way.
This idea has crossed my mind. I am going to study it further, though I had also thought about welding an adapter so that a lever could be installed to assist in pulling with the right arm while stepping down on the stand step. The lever would have to be at least 2 piece to have the leverage and height required, with the ability to be stowed in the saddlebag. If it works out, of course I'll post it here first. But it will be awhile until I get started designing such a contraption, a little cooler weather would help! But I like to think these things out and make sure it is going to work properly before I start celerbrating.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Well, next weekend, I'll shop around for some materials and if I can find what I'm looking for, I'll have to drag out the old mig welder and try to coble something up to experiment with. If I can get it figured out Pete, you will be the first to know.:)

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Heck, I wish sometimes I had a Honda 50! Then I wouldn't have to worry about my back and knees, just breath real hard and the thing would get itself up on the centerstand!:)

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Hey Redwing, I'm glad you don't have these problems. Must be the healthy lifestyle you live. The military screwed me up although most of the blame goes to me for allowing myself to get into this condition. 30 years ago I could have almost bench pressed that bike. Now I'm lucky I have enough strenth to hold it up and to back it up. You either have to learn to live with a disability and adapt the problem to a solution, or give up and start picking colors for your casket. I've never have been a quitter, and I plan on being around a long time.:)

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
imported post

chief43 wrote:
Maybe you gent's will an air compressor could rig some type of air bag to help assist the CS into place.
I had thought about this idea, it would be a good idea if:

1. Find a small enough compressor that is powerfull enough to fill a bag in under lets say 30 seconds.

2. A bag or bags that could compress to less than 2 inches but expand to about 10 inches.

3. The whole system would have to replace the center kickstand, not hang down when compressed more than 3 inches, nor be more than 2 - 3 inches wider than the bike at the centerstand point. It would have to be wired into the electrical system, and the compressor placed somewhere where it wouldn't be in the way, yet where it could be gotten to for service.

Of course all of this is possible, just it would be costly, not to mention that if a bag broke or developed a leak, could also damage the bike. Thats why I gave up on this idea right away, it sounds good, but from an engineering standpoint, though it would work, I wouldn't want to have to depend on it for long term use.:D

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
imported post

Well, I appreciate all the suggestions. I had planned on working on it this weekend, but yesterday went for a ride (about 100 miles) just running around, got back to the house, had to cover the bike real quick because thunderstorms moved in and that finished any plans for the rest of the day. And today while out having coffee this morning, planning on working on it, Mama called on my cell, her car was acting up and so I've been running around on that problem, figured out a bad sensor on her car, will have to take it in for it's first warrenty repair tomorrow. I have a few other things to do this afernoon, so I guess I'll get to it later. I've bought some materials to work on making a lever to assist the cs, I have to make some mesurements and hopefully my mig welder will work at this house without knocking any breakers. (I've moved since the last time I used it, this house needs the wiring upgraded.) Johnmac suggested the slip on extension, great idea, if I could find something that would fit over the darn thing. I'm still looking for that.:D

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
imported post

Yes I know how it is done, shot right Knee won't allow me to put that much pressure down on the stand, and I can't balance enough on the left leg to do it with the left leg on the stand.:( So that is why I'll be modifying the cs.:)

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
imported post

bobg wrote:
has anyone come up with a solution to this old problem?the post is 5 years old. but i don't see any follow up on a solution. any ideas?:?
Talk about an old post!:shock:

Well, since then, I've worked with the doc's and now my knee can get the bike up on the stand as long as I'm wearing the right shoes. I only had problems with the 1100, didn't have problems with the 1500 or the 1800. It is mostly how you go about getting it up on the stand, use your left hand on the left grip, right hand on the rear handrail, right foot pushing down on the CS pad, pull and lift (right hand) as you come back, and be pushing down with your foot, and she should glide right up on the stand.:smiler:

Gene:byebye:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.