Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I never have a problem with my 1200... I just put my right foot on the CS, grab the passenger bar with my right hand, face forward, grab the left handle bar grip with my left hand, press down until BOTH feet are set on the ground, and stand up firmly. Pretent that your body is a bumper jack, and all you are doing is "spreading" the CS pedal and the passenger bar apart. Don't jerk, don't get a running start, and don't use your back. If you want, I could makea video of how to do it the easy way.

I have also considered using a linear actuator attatched to the CS pedal, and to a point on the frame. Flip a switch, and the bike pops up by it's self. Hit the switch again and the bike will drop off the center stand.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
imported post

Yes I know how it is done, shot right Knee won't allow me to put that much pressure down on the stand, and I can't balance enough on the left leg to do it with the left leg on the stand.:( So that is why I'll be modifying the cs.:)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Yes I know how it is done, shot right Knee won't allow me to put that much pressure down on the stand, and I can't balance enough on the left leg to do it with the left leg on the stand.:( So that is why I'll be modifying the cs.:)
Thought about putting an extension on the right side?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
GLester wrote:
Thought about putting an extension on the right side?
Now that's an interesting idea Exavid, and how about then getting the passenger to help from that side, if you have a significant other half to hand of course.

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm beginning to think that someone needs to design an exercise machine that would mimic the action of putting a Goldwing on the stand.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I'm beginning to think that someone needs to design an exercise machine that would mimic the action of putting a Goldwing on the stand.
it is called the "jiffy stand" on my harley.... never have any toruble with it at all LOL

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

has anyone come up with a solution to this old problem?the post is 5 years old. but i don't see any follow up on a solution. any ideas?:?

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Three 2x6 boards. Run front and back wheels up on them as you come into parking spot with one to put side stand on.

Bike in netural,right foot on center stand,hand on the saddle bag guard,faceing farward. Lift and pull back. Bike is on center stand. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

thanks fred, i was already doin a version of that. i was wondering if anyone had come up with an alteration on the stand to make it easier when out on the road.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I have a short drive off stand it takes almost now effort to set the bike on the drive off stands.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One thing that will help a lot in getting the 'Wing up on the center stand is to remove the stand, clean up both it and the pivot tube, grease them up well and put it back on. It will really reduce the effort needed.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

nope its just a short legged centerstand that takes the place of the original, allows the rear tire to still touch the ground making it easier to place the bike on center stand, If you want it to raise the bike like the original stand just add a small piece of 1/2 inch plywood and it will allow the stand to raise the bikes rear wheel like the original.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

When I poured my garage floor, I installed a floor drain with the concrete sloping in all directions toward the drain(good for washing the car indoors during the COLD winter months) That depression is about1.5 inches lower than the floor level around a 3 ft radius. So when I want to work on the bike--like changing the oil, I simply roll her up to the drain and it practically pops itself up on the center stand with both tires planted on the concrete. Then, I can just remove the oil plug and let the oil drain right down the floor drain. Very convenient.:brokedown:

NO---I use the drain pan. Had it been April 1, I would have omitted this line:cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's easy for me too, I just park my bike over a storm drain in front of my house and dump the oil. It helps the salmon get up the river, nothing like a good coat of oil to make 'em slippery.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

All ya really need is a 6 inch piece of 1X6. Drive over so the rear wheel is sitting on it. it could ride int he bottom of the trunk and not really cost you a whole lot of space. believe or not that 3/4 of an inch ( a finished 1X6 is only 3/4 " thick) is all you need to make easy.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

GLester, have you tried increasing your suspension to 20 and then putting it on the center stand?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Most times the center stand is only needed to check oil or to clean both sides of the bike more easily.

Somewhere on here, or one of those other forums I belong to was an article on how to make removable PVC Tubes that held the bike level on the side engine crash bars.

Anybody remember that? It was a cool idea and the parts were small enough and light enough to carry them with you.

I'm an Engineer too and I understood the guy about making the center stand contact the ground earlier thereby making the throw of the lever higher or longer to get more lift in the lever. I think most peoples problem with the lift is they don't put their body weight on the Center stand.

On my 1500, with the bike on the side stand I can stand on the center stand lever and watch the bike rock itself upright. If I was pulling up on the passenger grab rail the bike would almost want to pitch the other direction.

Now that the Center stand has both feet on the ground, you don't have to worry about the balance of the bike. Just stand on the center stand lever, No knee pressure at all.

Now with one hand just lightly lift up on the grab rail and the bike will raise right up.

I too have done it with moccasins on and barefoot but I don't recommend it as it hurts the instep.

The real answer and help for Gene will be to lengthen the centerstand lever so he can put both feet on the lever for the lift and increase the fulcrum length.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.