Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well as many of you have found, epoxy and many other glues just don't work a dam when repairing broken plastic on hard to find parts. Of course the dam plastic is old and brittle and does break easily from time to time. I have read many threads here on different solutions that work, but what gave me the best tip was someone said the plastic is in fact ABS and you could get a black ABS glue.

Well I couldn't find any black ABS glue but did have some of the standard yellow stuff laying around from plumbing repairs etc. I was repairing the left inner cowl on my GL1200I which was badly cracked, and the worst part was, this was the best of two I had. I was able to hide the worst of it with chrome covers, which of course I liked anyway :) but how to repair the cracked edge???

I took pieces of my spare broken cowl, applied glue to one side of it and to the piece I was repairing, clamped them together and in an hour had a chemically bonded repair that is super strong :D

Now the outer edge had some holes to fill and a few more cracks there as well, solution, take some old black ABS pipe, drill some holes in it and save the filings that you create. Apply some abs glue, work in some of the drill shavings and apply a bit more glue overtop. Work it in well, as the filings soften you can shape them into the holes etc and even create material to fill larger holes. Let it dry for an hour, and you can file it, sand it and get it back to a fairly nice finish.......it took some time but the result was worth it. I applied Mothers Black is Back to the finish and it is very hard to tell from the original :waving:

·
Old School Guru
7,886 Posts
imported post

The Black ABS Plastic Cement can be found at any Lowes in the plumbing department. A lot of us on the forum has used it to make minor and major repairs and it works quite well. I practically rebuilt my whole fairing with it, along with both saddlebag lids, and trunk.:D

Gene:waving::11ltblue::11ltblue::11ltblue::cooler:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, the black goo does the job. I've made putty out of it by sanding some ABS pipe on my belt sander and collecting the dust to mix in. All the repairs I've done with ABS cement have held and can't be peeled or pried off. I do make sure there's no paint in the joint, need to have the glue attack the plastic. ABS glue is really the same stuff that most of the plastic parts on the bike are made of so it's really like chemically welding.

Someone did report problems trying to fill scratches in a mirror housing with ABS. I don't know if the trouble was with paint in the joint or what. It looks like they are also made of ABS but can't be sure.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

So I am guessing this will fix my hondaline suitcase saddle bags and windjammer faring?

Randy

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

So Wildcat, just go to your nearest Lowes in Williams Lake and get some black stuff.:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Old School Guru
7,886 Posts
imported post

It's in a can with an aplicator brush.:D

Gene:waving::11ltblue::11ltblue::11ltblue::cooler:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

puttitin wrote:
Is the blackABSglue in a can or a tube? I don't need much.
Don't worry it comes in a small round metal can with a screw top and it's cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hmmm might be an excuse to ride down to Bellingham, wonder if the Mrs would beleive it........hey honey I am just going out to the hardware store for some ABS glue, cya tomorrow night :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Hawker22 wrote:
So Wildcat, just go to your nearest Lowes in Williams Lake and get some black stuff.:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

handyrandy, I think your Windjammer is made of fiberglass, not plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I dunno bout the fibreglass, mine on my 750 was deffinately plastic, and if you go to www.craigvetter.com the Hotcha repair kit listed there mentions that the Vetter fairings are ABS. Guess that is the answer :D

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Hey Wildcat Good Tip,

Now I know why you have all that MANA..

Shhhhh, Who said that word?

I never thought about adding shavings or pieces of plastic to the mix as you and exivid did, but it does make good sense.

I couldn't find ABS Cement here at our local Loews either. But I sat down and called a bunch of hardware stores and did find it that way. But out of 10 or 12 storers only 2 carried the ABS Cement.

Luck to ya.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

A $5 fix... I love this site! :clapper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.