Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Some time ago I poster a question about a 1987 interstate I had a chance to buy.In a nut shell, it has 30k, radio doesnt work, looks like new, has only been ridden 1400 miles in the last two years. Price is 4200 us dollars. The stator has been replaced.All my riding buddies (cruiser/sport tourers) are saying I should pass since it hasnt been ridden much and they think it might not look as good on the inside as it does on the outside. I really like the bike, but hate to get into a situation that requires a time down and repair cost. It doesnt smoke on start up. Any one that has an opinion or help in what I should look for /check out would be appreciated. Also, should the fluids be changed now? The local honda dealer wont work on older bike, I know , because I have a 81 cb750c now. What should I do? HELP!! Jim

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

If it runs now there probably isn't anything major wrong with it. If you do buy it, yes you want to change ALL fluids! It would probably be well worth the few extra bucks to put in fresh oil and filter with some Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil, run it a couple of hundred miles then change the oil and filter again. That should help break up any oil deposits on the starter clutch and every where else on the inside. Make sure you use silicate free antifreeze in the radiator. Silicates (found in most auto antifreeze)will ruin the water pump and seals. Check the fuel tank for rust! If there is rust you need to get it out before you do anything. You don't want to suck it into the carbs. Add some Sea Foam to the fuel tank also to help clean up gummy deposits in the carbs. One oz/gallon is the ratio. Change the timing belts. Even with low miles they are still 21 years old. If one breaks you could do major damage to the engine. On the FAQ link on the home page of the forum Steve has listed alternate part numbers for belts and other pricey items that can be bought at auto parts stores for considerably less than Honda. Tires are probably getting cracked due to age also. Take a good look at them, they are not cheap! As for the radio not working, big deal! Could be a blown fuse or bad connection. I use my MP3 player here. The threeradio stations we get are so bad I can't stand to listen to any of them!

I'm sure others will point out things to check and do, if you buy it!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

AZwinger is right on the mark. The money and time you put into it now will save you even more of the same down theroad.

However, isn't his bike only 18 years old?;)

Couldn't resist.:goofygrin:

hobie

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Yeah your right Hobie1! I was thinking 84 instead of 87 :doh:.

Can't slide anything by you guys! :clapper:

Bob

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I bought my 86 SEI in February with 38K on the clock. The fuel warning light was on and it was very hard to start. Once warmed up it ran great. And it looked good. But, it was only $3000.00. Even at that price it was still a gamble. I think anytime you buy a bike, even a Goldwing, that is 20 years old, or close to it, you have to take a risk. But, isn't life a risk? If we didn't risk, we could just lock ourselves in an under ground bunker some place. Some friends will be optimistic and some wont be so. I think you have to ask questions and then listen to your own heart. If you are mechanical and canmake repairs yourself you can fix it and have a wonderful bike. Buy the manuals and ask questions on this great forum. I think with the help of the guys here you fix anything on any year Goldwing. My SEI's problem was that a mouse had taken up residence on the top of the engine and ate through the wire that goes to the Temperature Sensor. Guys on theforum walked me through, as far as they could, and I had to take it from there. Once the wire was repaired the light went off and it starts up as soon as I hit the start button. Follow your heart, if it feels good, buy it!! Just a little piece of encouragement. Regards, Peter

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

First off, a very belated welcome to the forum. As already mentioned, you really do have to follow your heart. In 1987 I stole a 84 Aspencade for $4,500. U.S. Rode it it for four years and sold it following knee surgury and self doubt over my leg stregnth.

Leap forward 11 years and two smaller bikes, I found and fell in love with a 86 Interstate. You guessed it, $4,500 U.S. put it in my garage. The bike had 50K on the clock, did smoke on start-up and didn't have the alternator replaced. I had that dubious pleasure two years ago, and yes it still smokes on start-up.

It's carried me to Georgia and back,(40/43mpg), and back and forth to work very reliably. In my opinion the 1,200's are just fantastic machines. The style of the 1,800's is beginning to grow on me, and I would love to try the power :weightlifter:. But in the mean time 100+ mph on a 700+ pound machine that is nearing twenty years in age will suffice quite nicely.

Lastly, you'll have the wealth of knowledge found here on Steve's forum. These guys are the greatest asset any GoldWinger could ever hope for. :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:. The friendship and willingness to help, many times even with the offer of parts, is priceless. Best wishes with your decision, and keep us informed.... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi JLD,

:waving: My first Goldwing was an 83 Standard (Naked) I picked up for $2000.00 and added another $1000.00 in tires, tuneup and Vetter touring, plus the radio. Now I have an 83 Aspencade that I picked up for $100.00 and put about $1500 into it with repairs. I have pictures of them on the " General Forum" if you want to see them.

When a bike sits, figure you may need to redo the carbs, put new rubber on it and timing belts plus fluids and misc. So, depending on your mechanical skill, add about $1000.00 in repairs to get it safe. Now, with a total of $5500. is this bike worth that much or are you better spending the money on a newer bike?:baffled:

Check the Cycletrader, Kelly blue book and some other sources for the bikes value, then make a decision as to the best buy.

Then last thing you want to do is assume that you won't have to put a dime extra on the bike, and then be hit by reality.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey JLD 1400 miles in 2 years isn't much but at least it hasn't been sitting dead in the water, it's had some movement!

Make sure the exhaust aren't rotting from that "Hoosier" rust,lol!

Then make him an offer, he'll probably take less, tell him you'll have to sink another x-amount $ into it, tires , belts etc!

See what's it's worth on "NADA"?

Bikes retail value on "NADA" $2900, it may be worth $3500 to the right person, Print out the NADA value and show it to the guy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.