Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

ANYONE GOT A PAIR to sell?

Some RAT took the 2 handlebar (clutch & brake)lever boots of my 1991 Wing.

They slip over the levers & over the pivot nuts for weather protection.



THANKS!
 

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Joined
·
61,685 Posts
imported post

That is just a low down, dirty cheap shot trick.

They are worth the dirt we ride on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

The "PROBLEM IS" it almost had to be another Wing rider, who else would need that particular shape of boot?

If it were a disgruntled Harley rider they'd find some other thing to sabotage, not take.


ANY thoughts on a near perm/temp fix?
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

If you made a mold shape to fit the thing on, there is a tape out there that forms a solid rubberized mass, overnight. Bad part is the stuff is extra expensive and hard to come by. Something in the neighborhood of $14 / roll.

It is used in the telecommunications and electrical power industries and as far as I know, not commercially available yet.

I'm actually working on locating a manufacturer and stocking it as one item in my product line. The few rolls I have, came to me underground and I greedily horde it. Someone told me they sold this stuff at Lowes once, but I have never seen it there.

It is black, stretchy and only sticks to itself. You stretch it 200% and wrap it on itself.
The next day, if you cut it apart it retains the shape you wrapped it in and no longer separates from itself. I think it is silicone based.

Good stuff for this type of need if you can find it. If anyone does find it, I'd love to hear about where it was found and for how much.


Here is a shot of it being used to encapsulate the relay pack I now offer as part of the aux power system kit.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Hey Rudy: THANKS! Yah I'm considering on making up something to protect the piviot screw.I'll probably use my OLD & TRUSTED black plastic oil bottle to shape up a hood.

It's easily folds without breaking and holds it's new shape. It's heat reformable to a point. And with a plastic welder it mends rather well.

Best part is it's black and when I use 150 to 320 sandpaper I can get that satin look like the rest of the bikes parts.

But I'd still prefer the original rubber parts, some parts are really hard to beat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
imported post

What about covering the desired area with saran wrap and then coating it with several coats of liquid tape?

Rudy, that tape has been around for quite some time. I know in NZ they've been using it for 30+ years, however I've never seen it outside the industry. We always refered to it as rubber tape. It does not like oil, I do know that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
371 Posts
imported post

or use heat shrink to fit
 

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Joined
·
61,685 Posts
imported post

Rudy,

There is a product called Vapor Wrap made by Decibel Products that has been available for decades. It works just like you said.

Except, that it will also stick to whatever you put it on. but, it is removable without a lot of effort.

We use it on coax connectors to make them water proof in the rain. That is what it was designed for initially.

Here is one form of it, also expensive.
http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=53051&eventPage=1

I just found out that Decibel Products was bought out by Andrew, so this is the same stuff I have been using for decades.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
371 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Rudy,

There is a product called Vapor Wrap made by Decibel Products that has been available for decades. It works just like you said.

Except, that it will also stick to whatever you put it on. but, it is removable without a lot of effort.

We use it on coax connectors to make them water proof in the rain. That is what it was designed for initially.

Here is one form of it, also expensive.
http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=53051&eventPage=1

I just found out that Decibel Products was bought out by Andrew, so this is the same stuff I have been using for decades.
Heat shrink sure is a lot less in cost.

Unless you are planning to share with him a sample
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Tape & Cold Shrink Tubing $95.00:shock: EEeeeYOWIES!!

I already have "Liquid Tape" (L.T.) on hand, NEVER though of it... be so much faster than my plastic Oil bottle trick. With L.T. I can make an accordion bellows look & work similar to the original.

NICE JOB GUYS & GALS,
very helpful to this budding Alzheimer's :? patient. :clapper:

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
imported post

FVM, I have emailed Anthony at A D Cycles in Florida to see if he may have a used set of the boots you need......at a reasonable price. Will let you know when he reply's
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
68 Posts
imported post

Rescue Tape is wonderful stuff. I keep it in the saddle bags in the event of who knows what. I used it to rebuild the wiring harness that someone had butchered adding in trailer lights. It is available from better hardware stores (not Home Depot or Lowes) or from their website. You can even get it off Amazon!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
275 Posts
imported post

Stuff I use is called Magic Wrap, looks like a roll of black electrical tape but all my vehicles have it in the glove box... Did a quick search on google and found this website, but you should be able to pick it up at Wally World with no issues.


http://www.glasgowmfg.com/pages/magicwrap.html
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

Sakryn wrote:
Stuff I use is called Magic Wrap, looks like a roll of black electrical tape but all my vehicles have it in the glove box... Did a quick search on google and found this website, but you should be able to pick it up at Wally World with no issues.


http://www.glasgowmfg.com/pages/magicwrap.html
That looks like the stuff I have. Suspect the retail rolls might be a bit smaller.
It is good stuff for sure.
I'll try to find it locally. Thanks


Yup... found the 1" wide stuff at Lowes. $8/roll
Doesn't look like they carry the 2" wide rolls, however.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
427 Posts
imported post

Hey Rudy,
I have seen a tape in Wal-Mart, harware, near all their tape products that is a rubber repair tape that definately seals to itself. They advertize it can be used for almost anything including plumbing repairs. It can be stretched pretty good and looks like it would seal electrical components. I carry a roll on the bike. It feels like a rubber product. Sells for about $5.
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

treker8098 wrote:
Hey Rudy,
I have seen a tape in Wal-Mart, harware, near all their tape products that is a rubber repair tape that definately seals to itself. They advertize it can be used for almost anything including plumbing repairs. It can be stretched pretty good and looks like it would seal electrical components. I carry a roll on the bike. It feels like a rubber product. Sells for about $5.
Thanks Hugh, I'll check that out. $5 is getting reasonable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
261 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
If you made a mold shape to fit the thing on, there is a tape out there that forms a solid rubberized mass, overnight. Bad part is the stuff is extra expensive and hard to come by. Something in the neighborhood of $14 / roll.It is used in the telecommunications and electrical power industries and as far as I know, not commercially available yet.
It is black, stretchy and only sticks to itself. You stretch it 200% and wrap it on itself. The next day, if you cut it apart it retains the shape you wrapped it in and no longer separates from itself. I think it is silicone based.

Good stuff for this type of need if you can find it. If anyone does find it, I'd love to hear about where it was found and for how much.

It's called Scotch® Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape 130C available at any industrial electrical supply distributor. Comes in different widths. I've used endless rolls of the stuff. It's boss! :action:
 

·
Village Whack Job...
Joined
·
7,908 Posts
imported post

Look to see if maybe those boots are down the cables out of sight. Only way to get them off is to either detach the cables or cut them. If they were cut off they are now useless. I find it hard to believe someone would go through the trouble of reattaching your cables, or that they would cut them if they really wanted to use em.

Follow the cables down, you just might find yer missing parts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
261 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Look to see if maybe those boots are down the cables out of sight. Only way to get them off is to either detach the cables or cut them. If they were cut off they are now useless. I find it hard to believe someone would go through the trouble of reattaching your cables, or that they would cut them if they really wanted to use em.
Shoot, I had someone come into my house while my wife was asleep, door not locked and stole my computer monitor while the computer was still on. They unplugged the power cord but cut the monitor hard-wired video cable going to the computer. Blew the power supply in my box. Brazen and incredibly stupid. Most thieves don't have too much going on up top or they wouldn't be doing what they do. :doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
imported post

I'm with Broke Winger,

I was thinking the same thing, Then I went out to the shed to look at my Bike and mine can't be removed without cutting them or removing the cables.

Grab a flashlight and take a look see. Or have a kid follow the cables down with thier small hands and see if they slid down into the fairing area.

Good Luck

Mohawk



Ahhhh, I now see that this is an old thread from back in Aug.

Sorry, But still wondering if the covers were down there.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top