Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Dave,

Thanks for the excellentinfo on antifreeze,and Silicates,,

thatsettles itfor me, not going to chance it on regular antifreeze.It's always better to be safe than sorry anyway....

Dean

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul Campbell :waving: Does this mean that the Honda Type 2 is ok. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Okay,

Use distilledH[suB]2[/suB]Oand silicate-free anti-freeze.

The alkali silicates on yourwebsite are probably (K,Na)AlSi[suB]3[/suB]O[suB]8[/suB] (microcline, orthoclase, albite or sanidine), some of the most common minerals on the face of the Earth – feldspars. They have a hardness of 6 on the Mohs scale (a diamond is 10).

Aside from the corrosion aspect, don’t you think the abrasiveness of these minerals could also have an effect on soft aluminum cooling system components? Especially where there isrotational friction, such as in the water pump?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

In my experience Silicates willcause your water pump tp weep. I got a leaky pump on my 1100 at 90,000 someodd miles. I hadalways used auromotive antifreeze then I read inRider magin whatevername it was under at the timethat silicates could damage the water pump. I went over to the Honda Coolant and when I sold the bike at 200,000+ miles it still had the same pump. I did Switch to orange synthetic when I replaced a head gasket because it also has no silicates. It seemed to wrk fine too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.