Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Please give me some advice . I have a chance to buy a 1987 interstate with 33000 miles on it for 4200.00 US dollars. The owner said he has replaced the stator and the bike looks like new. He did say he had trouble getting the bike to turn over until he purchased a new battery. I rode it and it seems fine, but I am new to goldwings.The raido etc does not work. there is a piece of something missing that covers where the windshield and faring meet. He said he replaced the windshield.

Now honestly should I buy this or a 2001 concours with 20000 K for the same money.I know the technology on both is mid 80's but there is a huge difference in the years. They both will tour and most if not all of my riding will be one up.

I know this is a goldwing site, but who better to ask about an older goldwing that you guys.

Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Jim, the Goldwing and the Kawasaki Concours are completely different bikes. You really need to like Goldwings to go and buy one, especially as things like radios not working can be expensive to repair. :)

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

I'm new to Goldwings too, I got a steal on mine I bought an 87 Interstate plane jane no radio or anything in excelent mechanical condition with new Dunlop Elite on rear and new battery. Stator was changed and everything was sweet machanically. It was stored under and awning so it hase some surface rust and needed to be cleaned up. It had 74K on it and I got it for only 1000, told my neighbor it was worth 2500 to 3000 but he sold it to me for 1000. Wouldn't have paid much more than 3000 for it though. This is just my opinion on this though. Kind of sounds like he's asking a high price for it. From what I've seen it looks like you could get an Aspencade with loaded for that kind of money. Good Luck.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Really hard to give advice on such a matter since it's all personal preference. Go with your gut, which bike do you like the most?$4200seems a bit high for an 87 unless it's really cherry. Look on eBay to compare prices, it will give you a good idea of the going rate.But most of all you're going to have to decide on what you like. Here's an article on the Concours:

http://www.seaviewsci.com/motorcycles/othermc.html

Notice the fellow mentions twice about the bike being top heavy and hard to handle at low speeds. The Goldwing is a heavy bike but I think it's easier to handle in the parking lots, I know it is compared toBMW 1100 and 1200touring bikes. With the difference in age of the two bikes, unless you are willing to do a good bit of your own work on the bike the Kawasaki might be the better deal for you. It's young enough that you won't have a problem getting work done on it at a Kawasaki dealer, the same is not always true with a 1987 Goldwing at all Honda shops.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey JLD:waving:Welcome to the forum, Its a tough choice, I think you need to ride them both and decide.See how they compare. How they have been ridden and taken care of is something to consider. It is easy to tear up a new model bike with some abuse, so age is not everything, ifone has been ridden hard even if newer it might not be in as good of shape.Good Luck on your choice.:)Keep us updated

:12red::cool:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey JLD :waving:Welcome to the forum.:clapper:This is a decision that only you can make. :stumped:It comes down to a pers choice. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

There's an '89 with low mileage for sale in my area for $5500. And everything works.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

i got my 81 gl1100 almost naked wing w/padded sissy bar and fairing (wich i just removed) for 1900 plus my 81 cb 750 i thought it was a good deal.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:dude:One nice thing about the Goldwings, is if they are kept in good condition, they do hold there value better than most other bikes. Check on the Kaw forum and ask about the trouble areas for that bike. See how long they last. If you look at this forum, most of the post have to do with carb cleaning, because the bikes has been sitting, or misc questions. Very few times do you read about the engine going bad on Goldwings.

Ride both bikes, ask a lot of questions and who knows, maybe you'll find a 1800 in your garage instead.

Jerry :waving:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I have a 85 Aspencade in very great shape.Everything works The stator has been replaced.Stored in bike shed during winter.Pics available.$6700.00 OBO Canadian.

Lots of chrome and lights.New bat.Tires 1 year old.Reason for selling I got a 1500

Don

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

That's about what they go for here, too, only in American $$. Nice bike.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks guys. I have ridden the 87 and its sweet. I rode an 02 concours and it is of course a different ride but nice. This goldwing I am looking at looks like it came off the showroom floor. It is cherry. When the guy showed me the bike he had it covered in a garage, the cables etc were bathed in oil and he had his exhaust pipes covered with aluminum foil . I think its been WELL taken care of. Kelly blue book give a price of 3375 for a 87 interstate and 3725 for an 87 aspencade in my zip code.Do you think an offer of 3800.00 us is a fair price considering that it is in excellent shape?

Speedracer I now am riding a 81 cb750c with 55000 on it. I almost hate to give it up.

Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

The nice thing about the Concours is that it has more sport-bike handlingthan the Goldwing. It depends onthe kind of riding you like to do. If you like the twisties and travel light I'd go for the Kawasaki. For long-haul or two-up riding the Goldwing will be more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Tough one , because the "Conny" is a great reliable bike with alot of history !

I'd offer the guy offer the guy $3600 for the Wing?! He might say OK, you can always go up but you can't go back down on your offer !

Teel him you appreciate the fact that he took care of it, but your money situation allows you to spend around 35/3600 , and see what he says !

Nothing ventured , nothing gained !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.